Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

EEA Family Permit

Hello everyone, my wife has submitted her documents to VFS in Manila last friday.. we have applied for an EEA family permit using my Irish citizenship. The problem is I have a dual citizenship, both British and Irish. Im aware of the rule change from the 16th july this year, but I'm also aware there is a transitional period until the 16th October for British citizens using their EEA citizenship to apply for an EEA family permit. Could someone please shed some light on this for me or anyone with any information would be very great full, thanks.

Respected Member
    Hi all...
    At this moment in time I do have a British Passport, this is due to the year of my birth which gives me the right to be a passport holder of the UK
    I heard that if I use my Irish Passport, which I am entitle to do so
    I would be exempt from all charges at the British Embassy in order to get my wife to come and join me...Is there some truth in this?
    If there is? Then I will change my passport for my Irish one
    I have had an Irish Passport in the past.

Respected Member
    Hi Robert,

Hope to hear a good news soon. As far I can remember, it took me one month to hear from the embassy that I got approved.

Quote Originally Posted by louismc44 View Post
    Hi all...
    At this moment in time I do have a British Passport, this is due to the year of my birth which gives me the right to be a passport holder of the UK
    I heard that if I use my Irish Passport, which I am entitle to do so
    I would be exempt from all charges at the British Embassy in order to get my wife to come and join me...Is there some truth in this?
    If there is? Then I will change my passport for my Irish one
    I have had an Irish Passport in the past.
    Louis,

As it stands right now it's possible for your spouse to apply for an EEA family permit based on you being an Irish Citizen exercising economic treaty rights in UK.

There's really far too much detail and too many twists and turns to go through the whole thing again.
    May I very kindly suggest you do some searches here where you will discover all the needed information.

I would say that if you are eligible then your wife should get the application submitted asap as the transitional period between immigration law change and implementaion of new rules preventing that route for you will end on October 16th

If you start your searches by following the posts of Robert, you should find what you need.

The application is free and there is no requirement to meet UK immigration rules at all including financial and English language testing.

In principle there is nothing to lose. But you must both act very quickly.
    Also, be aware that any decision made is totally discretional and down to Home Office Policy. This is because the European court already made the ruling way back, but the Home Office did not immediately implement.

In addition to your forum searches here are the UKBA information links on the EEA family permit route.

Look here for EEA family permits

Take a look at the UKBA page for EEA Family Permit for details of what it is and how to apply:-
    Look here also for some very good additional information on the EEA Family Permit.

Thread Information