Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A friend I work with has one on those automatic testers, you know the ones, you strap it around your wrist and it pumps up with a little motor. We tested all of us in the office and mine came out as 120/80, we did it a couple of times to get an average, and it was the same each time. We tried a guy who has diabetes and his was really high. I guess mine is ok for someone of my age. I try to eat healthy, although I am not as fit as I could be.
    So what are the main signs of high or low pressure? can you tell by just looking at someone?
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

i dont think you can tell by looking at anyone unless they are overweight and I believe the risks increase, and im sure the chances increase with age

couple of years ago, i went for an afternoon nap . 3o mins later i woke up thought little joe was sitting on me, couldn't breathe or hardly move, took me 10mins to be able to get down the stairs. misses rushed me to A&E. by that time i felt ok, they did some tests, next day let me go, days later i went to my GP, can't remember why, told her i was in hospital, she took my BP was over 200/xxx - cant remember what xxx was, and told me i would have to take meds for the rest of my life.

up til then i had hardly ever been ill, never needed to go to the doc...
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

First I new was when having an induction at the gym and they took my BP
    They did it 3 times just because they couldn't believe the result.
    I remember it was 185/100 or 185/95 something like that. Suggested I should visit my GP before they could allow my membership.

Been taking medication ever since.
    This morning I went to my GP for blood tests and BP check.
    BP was 138/80

I have a BP machine at home (from Boots) and check about once every couple of weeks and it's pretty stable.

I really don't think you see any indications of high bood pressure just by looking at someone.

Last month we sent some BP m/c's to Philippines as donation to the hospital. Seems most are short on this.

Actor Michael Clarke Duncan, the death row inmate in 'The Green Mile', dies after heart failure

54yrs old

http://blog.syracuse.com/entertainme...duncan_th.html
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    I was going to let you find that out for yourself
    Just had a beetroot juice, followed by a carrot juice, then a galia melon juice and a kiwi fruit juice...... What next?

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Just had a beetroot juice, followed by a carrot juice, then a galia melon juice and a kiwi fruit juice...... What next?
    Probably a few unscheduled visits to the CR

Trusted Member
    Steve.r : “ So what are the main signs of high or low pressure? can you tell by just looking at someone? “
    • Hypertension usually has no symptoms or signs – which is the reason so many are unaware, and unmotivated to check their blood pressure. “ If it ain’t broke don’t fix it “ doesn’t apply here ! Symptoms – if present – include headache ( no more common than in the general population ), dizziness and problems with vision ( both also non-specific ). Likewise, no signs are diagnostic, although age alone increases the chances – at 65, individuals have a 90% chance of developing hypertension by 80 ( and if they’re obese they have decreased chance, for several reasons including hypertension, of reaching 80 ).
    • Hypotension should also have no symptoms, only in that case it’s a reassuring sign suggesting “ naturally low blood pressure “, not requiring treatment. Symptoms – if present – include dizziness ( especially if standing up suddenly ), and there may be other factors such as age, time of day, temperature, some medicines or illnesses.
    • Accurate blood pressure measurement is vital ! Repeated measurements – at least twice – are helpful to confirm true blood pressure before attempting to treat by any method(s). “ White-coat “ hypertension – raised blood pressure in the doctor’s clinic - is well known. Some will remember " Carry on Doctor ", where Barbara Windsor, as Nurse Sandra May, raises Sid James's blood pressure ! If hypertension seems likely, “ ambulatory “ ( walking ) or home blood pressure monitoring devices are better correlated with cardiovascular outcome.

Wait til you poo watch the colour lol

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    Wait til you poo watch the colour lol
    Probably like after eating black pudding?

Banned
    I also have a theory that our blood pressure goes up when our surroundings are hotter and we get hotter. Don't know if it is true or not?

Thanks Alan, almost a silent killer. scary
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

I also have a theory that our blood pressure goes up when our surroundings are hotter and we get hotter. Don't know if it is true or not?
    Oddly though when I'm in the Philippines my BP actually drops
    Can't explain, unless stress levels also affect BP

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Oddly though when I'm in the Philippines my BP actually drops
    Can't explain, unless stress levels also affect BP
    You mean as soon as you hit terminal 1 your stress levels go down?

Yes. Looking through some material on the net it seems that hot weather decreases blood pressure and cold weather increases it.

I was thinking of those people who on a hot day tend to have more prominent veins in their hands, for instance, suggesting a higher pressure.

Trusted Member
    Blood pressure does vary naturally from day to day and in different situations – hence the need for accurate measurement, certainly before treatment is contemplated.
    Generally it tends to rise when it’s cold and fall when it’s hot. Arteries constrict ( get narrower ) in cold and dilate ( get wider ) in heat, to maintain body temperature. These effects are temporary, just like other influences on blood pressure, like drinking coffee, physical activity, and stress – as long as they are not extreme or prolonged.
    Extreme hot and cold temperatures affect the cardiovascular system, especially in the elderly and those already with risk factors such as hypertension, at least short term. Heatwaves increase cardiac deaths, once the body’s attempts to dissipate heat are overwhelmed. Sweating and dehydration can raise blood pressure, or ultimately decrease blood volume and increase heart rate, causing heart failure and fall in blood pressure. In the UK there are more heart attacks in winter. Exposure to cold without protection progressively increases the chances of a heart attack – due in part to constriction of blood vessels and increased tendency of the blood to clot.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Blood pressure does vary naturally from day to day and in different situations – hence the need for accurate measurement, certainly before treatment is contemplated.
    Generally it tends to rise when it’s cold and fall when it’s hot. Arteries constrict ( get narrower ) in cold and dilate ( get wider ) in heat, to maintain body temperature. These effects are temporary, just like other influences on blood pressure, like drinking coffee, physical activity, and stress – as long as they are not extreme or prolonged.
    Extreme hot and cold temperatures affect the cardiovascular system, especially in the elderly and those already with risk factors such as hypertension, at least short term. Heatwaves increase cardiac deaths, once the body’s attempts to dissipate heat are overwhelmed. Sweating and dehydration can raise blood pressure, or ultimately decrease blood volume and increase heart rate, causing heart failure and fall in blood pressure. In the UK there are more heart attacks in winter. Exposure to cold without protection progressively increases the chances of a heart attack – due in part to constriction of blood vessels and increased tendency of the blood to clot.

Okay. My wife's veins on the back of her hand dilate on warm / hot days though she doesn't have a lot of fat on her so I think it is more obvious.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information