Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Genuine and subsisting relationships

Hi again,
    Well I am doing some study into all that is required, and have come across this from UKBA.

Can you apply?

If you are applying to enter the UK, or for permission to stay or settle here, you will need to satisfy us that your relationship is genuine and subsisting.

When we consider your application we will look at all the information available and your individual circumstances.

If your relationship is genuine and subsisting we would expect you to be able to show evidence that you:

are in a current, long-term relationship;
    are living together with your partner;
    share responsibility with your partner for any children;
    share financial responsibilities with your partner, such as a joint mortgage or tenancy agreement, a joint bank account or joint savings, and utility bills in both your names;
    and your partner have visited one another's home country and family; and
    you have made plans about living together in the UK with your partner.

My questions are:~
    First this seems to imply that I MUST get my girl over here to prove I am in a relationship yet I thought from previous studying that this was not a requirement?

2. You are living together with your partner. What? How can I be living with her until I marry her bring her home with me? I am confused?

Can you please help me here? Has everyone here ahd to bring their bride home to UK then send her back before applying for a visa?

Many thanks John
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained"
    "It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all" Lord Tenneson.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by songz777 View Post
    If your relationship is genuine and subsisting we would expect you to be able to show evidence that you:

share financial responsibilities with your partner, such as a joint mortgage or tenancy agreement, a joint bank account or joint savings, and utility bills in both your names;

2. You are living together with your partner. What? How can I be living with her until I marry her bring her home with me? I am confused?
    Has everyone here ahd to bring their bride home to UK then send her back before applying for a visa?
    Certainly I didnt, John. Applying under the old rules I had only spent a few weeks with my wife in the 6 months that I had known her. The accent on these new rules is slightly different. But how different, remains to be seen.

Trusted Member
    I believe that is just a list of 'things' that would contribute towards evidence proving 'genuine and subsisting relationship'.

Obviously the more that can be satisfied the better, but clearly not all will be applicable.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I believe that is just a list of 'things' that would contribute towards evidence proving 'genuine and subsisting relationship'.

Obviously the more that can be satisfied the better, but clearly not all will be applicable.
    Thank you Graham appreciate your in put also Last lid to
    "It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all" Lord Tenneson.

Trusted Member

Fingers crossed everything will work out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post

Fingers crossed everything will work out for you.
    Hi Graham. as matter of intrest, do you intend for you fiancee to visit UK before you marry her?

Trusted Member
    To be honest mate, nothing is really decided yet.

A lot of thinking to do, as I'm not getting any younger.

Last time I brought a spouse here circumstances were very different.

Being alone again (from tomorrow) will give me new opportunities...work wise.

Potentially much higher income, so we'll have to see how things go over the next few months.

there is so many ways to prove that your relantionship is genuine infact in your case you have to visit her in her country take pics with her you can use skype/msn conversations anything to prove that your in touch with her , you can also use phone bills anything .

Hi there I read this stuff already from UKBA for I will start to apply a fiancee visa this month ...I think all u have to do is to gather all the documents that are needed for the application and prove ot them that ur love is genuine aside from the documents( u need to show them some photos of u together, chats , proofs that u've been together-visiting ur partner ) ...

We're about to use an agency so someone will guide us through the application to make sure we're doing the right things.

But I know using an agency or not will still be hassle...
    Goodluck to us

Cheers,
    Mariam

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by McGregor03 View Post
    Hi there I read this stuff already from UKBA for I will start to apply a fiancee visa this month ...I think all u have to do is to gather all the documents that are needed for the application and prove ot them that ur love is genuine aside from the documents( u need to show them some photos of u together, chats , proofs that u've been together-visiting ur partner ) ...

We're about to use an agency so someone will guide us through the application to make sure we're doing the right things.

Goodluck to us

Cheers,
    Mariam
    It is an added expense. But it is a professional set of eyes to cast over your application in its entireity. Are you using a UK OISC approved advisor?

Quote Originally Posted by McGregor03 View Post

Goodluck to us

Cheers,
    Mariam
    Many thanks for your reply, I would be very happy to keep in touch with you.
    Question his Has your fiancee vistied uk to see family?

If now I would be ever so glad to know if all the other evdence is enough to satisfy UKBA. Thanks so much!

Hi again,
    Well I am doing some study into all that is required, and have come across this from UKBA.

Can you apply?

If you are applying to enter the UK, or for permission to stay or settle here, you will need to satisfy us that your relationship is genuine and subsisting.

When we consider your application we will look at all the information available and your individual circumstances.

My questions are:~
    First this seems to imply that I MUST get my girl over here to prove I am in a relationship yet I thought from previous studying that this was not a requirement?

Can you please help me here? Has everyone here ahd to bring their bride home to UK then send her back before applying for a visa?

Many thanks John
    John,
    It's good that you're taking time do some research.
    May I suggest that you focus more into the actual immigration rules and policy rather than the vagaries of a UKBA 'reference page' containing generic lists.

No offence intended John, just trying to help.
    You can often find detailed information and instruction on both the left and right hand sides of UKBA webpages.

Anyway, please take some time to review this document - Genuine and Subsisting Relationship

The answer to one of your questions is contained within that document as a caseworker instruction as follows:-

.....The fact that an applicant has never visited the UK must not be regarded as a negative factor, but it is a requirement of the Immigration Rules that the couple have met in person..
    Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    John,
    It's good that you're taking time do some research.
    May I suggest that you focus more into the actual immigration rules and policy rather than the vagaries of a UKBA 'reference page' containing generic lists.

No offence intended John, just trying to help.
    You can often find detailed information and instruction on both the left and right hand sides of UKBA webpages.

Anyway, please take some time to review this document - Genuine and Subsisting Relationship

The answer to one of your questions is contained within that document as a caseworker instruction as follows:-

Hope this helps
    Hi Terpe,
    many thanks for this link i have just read and very helpful and given me great peace many thanks.
    You are a very wise and clued up chap! Have you ever considered being paid for your valued sevice? I am sure there would be a few folks here who would gladly donate to you.
    But as I have said many thanks for your wide words and constant advise in the Forum, I really appreciate your input and help, coz honestly I had visions of having to prcoess a massive visa document and then again another one for spouse visa in July..

Many thanks.
    john

Newbie (Restricted Access) Freelandercb40's Avatar
    Thanks Terpe from me also. I must confess that I to got a bit confused.com my self But reading your very informative link was easier to digest.

And John I wish you good luck

I think you dont need to live together to prove that the relationship is subsisting ???

.....you got the virtual world to have it fixed for you..chatlogs/calls/messages/letters/cards..etc
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Thread Information