Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Cool Richard Whitehead wins 200m gold

British sprinter Richard Whitehead blasted through the field in the final 50m to win gold in the T42 200m.

Whitehead, a double above-the-knee amputee, crossed the line in 24.38 seconds to break his own world record.

The USA's Shaquille Vance trailed in 25.55s, with Germany's Heinrich Popow third in 25.90s.

Whitehead, 36, who will also run in the T42 100m said: "That was a good performance, I've trained hard for that."

"I have an amazing team behind me. Today was about giving back a performance suitable for a GB vest," he added.

“The 200m was nothing with the situations I've had growing up”

Whitehead is also the marathon world record holder but was denied a chance to compete in London with arm amputees in the T46 class due to International Paralympic Committee (IPC) regulations.

The sprinter failed in his attempt to challenge the rule at the Court of Arbitration for Sport last year, but has hopes of running in the marathon at the 2016 Paralympics.

"I'm a marathon runner that's taken well to the 200m," Whitehead said. "I came, I saw, I conquered.

"I've overcome so many things in my life. The 200m was nothing with the situations I've had growing up. Hopefully the IPC see sport as inclusive rather than exclusive for the Rio 2016 Games."

Source:-
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/disability-sport/19449193

200m in 24.38 seconds for a double amputee. I would say he's faster than 99% of able bodied people. Truly amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    200m in 24.38 seconds for a double amputee. I would say he's faster than 99% of able bodied people. Truly amazing.
    He's basically a marathon runner and has way above average strength and endurance.
    Don't forget he has special starting blocks and loses a lot of time on his starting.

If you get a chance to see a re-run of the race you must watch. Unbelieveable.

Thread Information