Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Respected Member

Income threshold

Now that the new threshold rules have been introduced of £18600. Will the ukba still require you to have a large chunk of money left over after bills etc?. If you earn over 18600 gross in a tax year will they be satisfied by this. Also if you have children coming to uk on british passports (not sponsored) surely you could claim child benefit etc. Not for the wife who would be sponsored? Would they still require some kind of proof of disposable income etc? Earning over £18600 is one thing, but by the time i pay rent all bills, and taking care of my filipino wife and my two kids (would have british passports) there would be very little left. Also having to pay flights and wifes visa fees. What are the ukba actually after? Nothings really very clear...

Unfortunately it's all too clear.
    It's £18,600 if you just "import" a wife/fiance.
    It goes up accordingly if you also "import" other dependants.... ie children.
    (Pls see other threads for actual amounts).

Disposable income is totally irrelevant under the new regime.
    Crazy...... but true.
    No man is an island, but Barry is

Respected Member
    WHAT I MEAN IF YOUR CHILDREN HAVE BRITISH PASSPORTS. (not sponsored) THEN YOU ARE NOT IMPORTING THEM. THEY CAN COME AT ANYTIME AND I COULD CLAIM CHILD BENEFIT. MY CHILDREN DO NOT NEED VISAS RIGHT?? SO ITS ONLY MY WIFE THAT NEEDS THE SPONSORSHIP... THIS HAS TO BE MADE CLEAR TO ALL MEMBERS. BECAUSE THIS IS WHAT MEMBERS WILL HAVE TO DO NOW TO AVOID THE RISE IN THRESHOLD ON BRINGING IN CHILDREN...

i know what your saying i think yes me too was wondering also if and when we get our son his passport (btw) thanks for your reply it was most helpfull, i was thinking same lines ? if he does come to uk with me it's obvious he will be able to get some form of income IE FAMILY ALLOWANCE does that go against our application for her visa ?

Respected Member
    We have some very informative people on this site brian. Lets hope we can get answer quickly. I am sure i am right though. But its not made official on any ukba sites??

The new rules are clear and very specific.
    The principle is this, you MUST have a proven income of minimum £18600 for spouse
    (for a couple with no children) Children who do not need a UK visa are not counted at all.
    The evidence needs supporting for at least the 6 months prior to application.

Just to be clear, child benefit (nor any other benefits) can be included in the £18600
    But can of course be claimed by the UK national as normal.

The UKBA has no or intention to draw up a personal financial balance sheet for each couple (outgoings, credit card and other debts, mortgage, etc), but to take £18,600 (or the higher level for children) solely as a benchmark for financial requirements on the part of the couple.
    Means no interest in 'affordability' only in the threshold.

Take a look here for a better understanding

So if I produce 6 months of wage slips and bank statments I dont need to give them a P60?

Trusted Member
    Children with British passports are of no interest to UKBA, as they are British Citizens !

The main reason I ensured that any kids of mine were born in THIS country.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    So if I produce 6 months of wage slips and bank statments I dont need to give them a P60?
    We didn't submit my P60. Why the need? Its all on the payslips.....and the payslips are up to date. The P60 is out of date as soon as the end of the tax year has moved on.... Our submission was in early September - the P60 was way out of date by then and virtually irrelevant.

Trusted Member
    I think the P60 is needed, along with other proofs in the case of self-employed people, isn't it ?

Maybe that's where the confusion is arising.

Personally I would take a job for 6 months sorting turds if need be...providing it satisfied the requirements of the UKBA.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I think the P60 is needed, along with other proofs in the case of self-employed people, isn't it ?

Maybe that's where the confusion is arising.

Personally I would take a job for 6 months sorting turds if need be...providing it satisfied the requirements of the UKBA.
    I see what you mean, the P60 is more crucial for the self employed....

Andy, the requirements are for 6 months payslips and 6 months bank statements showing the pay going into the bank.
    You also need formal confirmation from your employer.

UKBA state:-
    In respect of salaried employment, all of the following must be submitted:

P60 (if this has been issued) and wage slips for the 6-month period prior to the application, or as appropriate, for the 12-month period prior to the application.

Letter from the employer confirming the person’s employment and annual salary, the length of their employment (and the period over which they have been or were paid the level of salary relied upon in the application), and the type of employment (permanent, fixed-term contract or agency).

A signed contract of employment.

Bank statements corresponding to the same period as the wage slips, showing that the salary has been paid into the person’s account.
    Andy, you know by now my mantra 'minimise all risks'.
    I may be expressing a slightly cynical approach but personally I would include my latest P60 anyway even though the UKBA say '...if this has been issued..' despite the fact it may not be relevant to the previous 6 months.
    To my mind it's not 100% clear what is meant by '...if this has been issued..'

Others may disagree, but for what it's worth that's my 2 centavos worth.
    If I'm wrong and you follow my suggestion you'll still get the visa.

Banned
    I understand your point Terpe and it is a good one. But how far do we go? Do we go as far as Brian Noreen did with their Spouse visa?

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....t=brian+noreen

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Andy, the requirements are for 6 months payslips and 6 months bank statements showing the pay going into the bank.
    You also need formal confirmation from your employer.

UKBA state:-

Andy, you know by now my mantra 'minimise all risks'.
    I may be expressing a slightly cynical approach but personally I would include my latest P60 anyway even though the UKBA say '...if this has been issued..' despite the fact it may not be relevant to the previous 6 months.
    To my mind it's not 100% clear what is meant by '...if this has been issued..'

Others may disagree, but for what it's worth that's my 2 centavos worth.
    If I'm wrong and you follow my suggestion you'll still get the visa.
    Thanks guys but I have had a increase since my last P60 so it will not show anything to them.

Banned
    Thanks guys but I have had a increase since my last P60 so it will not show anything to them.

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    I understand your point Terpe and it is a good one. But how far do we go? Do we go as far as Brian Noreen did with their Spouse visa?

The way its going it will be best to take it to the british embassy in manila in person and stand over the ECO while he checks it.

Trusted Member
    I asked for an interview with the Vice-Consul in Manila...and got it. Long time ago though.

You hit the nail on the head. A LONG TIME AGO.

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post

It's a different 'game' now lastlid.
    I understand what you're saying, but under the 'old rules' the ECO's and their supporting assistants and caseworkers had a lot of discretion in their decision making.
    To my way of thinking, this meant supplying enough evidence to make refusal a very difficult decision for them. Some folks (quite rightly) needed to cover all the possible angles they could imagine.
    I know a lot of people thought that Brian and Noreen went over the top, but I certainly didn't , especially given their specific circumstances and the propensity of ECO's to misinterpret such circumstances.
    I think I said at the time better to supply more than enough than not quite enough.

Under these new rules the ECO and their team cannot excercise any discretion at all
    Gross Income is 'king'
    Here's what UKBA say:-

Caseworkers must not exercise any discretion or flexibility with regard to the level of the financial requirement: £18,600 (or the relevant higher figure for a child or children) is the amount to be met in all cases. It is a matter of public policy to introduce a financial requirement based on an income threshold for the sponsorship of partners and children, and a threshold means a threshold: it must be clear and consistent in all cases.
    So in a way (in my mind at least) it's important to submit every piece of evidence that forces the ECO to tick the box.
    If a P60 is mentioned as being of importance in support of meeting that threshold then submit it.
    But as I say that's just my opinion as part of a strategy to minimise risks.

Banned
    The way its going it will be best to take it to the british embassy in manila in person and stand over the ECO while he checks it.
    Exactly. After hearing Marcos experience. And get a signed receipt for every bleepin page....

Well quite right too !!
    Totally pointless and dangerous to submit any documentation at all that does not support your objective.

Respected Member
    I am in a very similar situation. I work in the security industry i can do as many shifts as i require. I will earn over the £18600 mark by april 2013. So i will have 12 months payslips & my p60 should show this. I will be out of my overdraft by october maybe november this year. I wiill have been in my job in april nearly 2 years. My employer is willing to give me a letter regarding my earnings should be around £20.000 ish. Contracted to work 60 hours a week. My children were born in the philippines but we are currently seeking british passports for them. I will have been in my house which is rented 1 year in march. So as i see it, in simple terms i just apply for my wife as a spouse. And show earnings for the year in april for £18600. Jobs a good en!!!!!!. I don.t need to earn anymore for my 2 kids as they are british. And i can claim child benefit for them etc. My wife can work, but i cannot claim anything for her.

Have i got everyhting right there?

Have i missed anything?....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sheldon1 View Post
    I am in a very similar situation. I work in the security industry i can do as many shifts as i require. I will earn over the £18600 mark by april 2013. So i will have 12 months payslips & my p60 should show this. I will be out of my overdraft by october maybe november this year. I wiill have been in my job in april nearly 2 years. My employer is willing to give me a letter regarding my earnings should be around £20.000 ish. Contracted to work 60 hours a week. My children were born in the philippines but we are currently seeking british passports for them. I will have been in my house which is rented 1 year in march. So as i see it, in simple terms i just apply for my wife as a spouse. And show earnings for the year in april for £18600. Jobs a good en!!!!!!. I don.t need to earn anymore for my 2 kids as they are british. And i can claim child benefit for them etc. My wife can work, but i cannot claim anything for her.

Looks promising. No doubt Terpe will cast his eye over your detail. The new rules have been a gamechanger and for those that applied under the old rules, our experiences arent quite so relevant now...

In this day and age you would think a wage of £18600 would be easy to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by sheldon1 View Post

Sheldon,
    I'm not suggesting I'm an expert, but hopefully I can point you in the correct direction
    UKBA do not demand a 12 month evidence submission. If it can be proven by 6 months payslips, bank statements and employers confirmation then that is sufficient. No need to unecessarily extend the pain of being apart from your family.
    UKBA only want a 12 month evidence if 6 months cannot make it under some conditions.

Overdrafts do not enter the equation. Only gross income.

Take a step back and review the links I suggested. Then decide your best strategy and timeline.

Yes, your wife can work. And once she is in UK her income can be combined with yours to meet the required minimum. If that helps.
    You need to maintain that required financial threshold for the 5 year period to approved settlement.

Respected Member
    Thanks terpe for your kind advice. I think we are all a little paranoid concerning our applications.. Not long before the new rules i was advised strongly about making a spouse visa application when still in the red with an overdraft. It would of been sought as living beyond our means. Now the new rules are inforce all the ukba want to see is that you can prove you earn £18600 or more. Some members like me must forget that the new rules are now in force and to forget the old ones. Its so hard to do when its been stressed so clearly for so long. Thanks again terpe.

Sheldon, what you've put pretty much does sound "jobs a good un".

At a guess from what you're saying, perhaps you didn't quite make the income threshold in the last 12 months to date, but with overtime you will break over that point, proven over a 12 month period very soon.

One way of making this requirement, is either a proven 6 months continuous earning, which translated over 12 months will meet the limit. Alternatively you can prove the requirement over 12 months salary (Say for example, you earnt 15k in the last 12 months, but then got a new job paying 40k, you wouldn't need to wait for 6 months to pass, because you would earn over the requirement in a month or two. You then just submit 12 months wageslips, including your latest 2 months worth at your new humongous salary - it will add up to well over 18,600k. No need for the P60 really, and of course, letter from your employer saying your yearly salary - as you must have that at the time of application.

Your kids will have British passports, so they aren't taken into account - it's only sponsored children who are taken into account.

Of course, this is just the salary requirement, you do then have the joy of proving the relationship with chat records, photos etc, but hey

The requirement now is that the financial requirement must be met. That is, the sponsor, if meeting the requirement by salaried employment, must be earning a minimum of 18,600 GBP a year. The specified evidence required is :

2. In respect of salaried employment in the UK, all of the following evidence must be provided:

(b) The P60 for the relevant period or periods (if issued).

(c) Wage slips covering:
    (i) a period of 6 months prior to the date of application if the applicant has been employed by their current employer for at least 6 months; or
    (ii) A period of 12 months prior to the date of application if the applicant has been employed by their current employer for less than 6 months.

(d) A letter from the employer confirming:
    (i) the person's employment and gross annual salary;
    (ii) the length of their employment;
    (iii) the period over which they have been or were paid the level of salary relied upon in the application; and
    (iv) the type of employment (permanent, fixed-term contract or agency).

(e) A signed contract of employment.

(f) Monthly personal bank statements corresponding to the same period as the wage slips at paragraph 2(c), showing that the salary has been paid into an account in the name of the person or in the name of the person and their partner jointly.

The amount of savings that the sponsor has is irrelevant if the income threshold is met.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

i think people have to be careful if you have had a pay rise within the last 6 months before you applied as the gross annual salary at its lowest level in those 6 months, means that if a sponsor has had a pay rise at any point in the previous 6 months, the salary level which should be used is the lower level, ie before the pay rise.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Respected Member
    MY annual salary is around £20,000 a year now gross. Since april end the end of this month i will have earned £10.000 gross, september end would be £12,000 ,october just under £14,000 ans so on. My p60 for last april states that i earned just under 16,000, Mainly because i did not start this job until end of may 2011. I have taken on since july, 2 extra shifts a month so it would take me well over the required threshold by the year end mark. my employer will confirm those earnings. Actually it works out a lot more than £20,000 a year cos i have to cover holidays etc.

when would you suggest i make my application, or should i wait until i break the £18600 barrier. would be around jan/feb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information