Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

Time taken to change name in passport?

Hi.

How long does it take the Philippine Embassy in London to update a passport with a name change following marriage? i.e. maiden name to married name?

Just trying to decide whether to do this before applying for FLR(M), or after. (In which case marriage certificate and passport with maiden name will be supplied to the BA).

Thanks.

Trefor, last I heard (May 2012) is was estimated to be 12 weeks.

Here's the current Embassy statement:-

Additional requirements for married women who wish to use surname of spouse in their passports

(Note: The Embassy will no longer process applications for amendment of name in a machine readable passport. Applicants are required to renew the passport instead)
    •If married in the Philippines, the original and a photocopy of the marriage certificate (authenticated by the National Statistics Office). A copy of husband’s valid passport or birth certificate.
    •If marriage was performed outside the Philippines, (a) the original and four (4) copies of the Marriage Certificate, (b) four (4) duly accomplished Report of Marriage forms (which are available at the Embassy and at the Embassy website), (c) four (4) passport size photos of husband and wife, taken within the last 6 months, (d) four (4) photocopies of the passports of the husband and wife. The Report of Marriage fee is £18. If the marriage had been solemnized for more than a year prior to the filing of Report of Marriage, there is an additional fee of £18 for late registration.
    •If marriage was performed outside the United Kingdom, please submit the original and four (4) photocopies of the marriage certificate which is duly authenticated by the Embassy in the United Kingdom of the country where marriage was celebrated.
    •In case of death of husband, applicant must provide the original and four (4) copies of the death certificate of the late husband.
    •In case of divorce or annulment, applicant must provide four (4) photocopies of the divorce or annulment papers. Please note that the applicant may have her name changed to that of her second spouse only if the petitioner of the divorce of the previous marriage is the foreign spouse.

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    Please be aware that there is no law in UK which says a woman upon marriage must change her name. The facility to do so is just the same as for a man who wants to change his name. A free choice.

My wife was able to have her passport amended by hand in the Filipino Consulate in Spain, but that before the machine readable passport.

In your case, why not just wait until your wife has to renew her passport. She can then change the name to her married name or just continue using her maiden name.

We live in Spain. Women cannot change their name here, so husbands and wives have a different surname, does not cause any problems anywhere,

Trusted Member
    Looks like the ex is out of luck then, since I WASN'T the petitioner of the divorce (left it to her, as she was the adulterer).

I wondered why this past few weeks on her Facebook she's inserted my surname before the new husband's.

Respected Member
    Thanks guys. Rose wants to adopt my surname, her choice completely - I have left the decision to her.

When applying for a passport renewal at the PH embassy in London I assume she can keep her old passport while the new one is prepared? (This is how it worked when she last renewed her passport in Dubai). Anyone done this and know either way?

Thanks chaps.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trefor View Post
    Thanks guys. Rose wants to adopt my surname, her choice completely - I have left the decision to her.

When applying for a passport renewal at the PH embassy in London I assume she can keep her old passport while the new one is prepared? (This is how it worked when she last renewed her passport in Dubai). Anyone done this and know either way?

Thanks chaps.
    Yes, she will keep the old passport..but she can't use it in travelling as it'll be void already (they would put holes in the old passport). She needs to wait for the new one to be able to travel overseas.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

We got handed back the old passport, and told "when the new one arrives in the post, stamp some holes in the old one"..... which we obviously haven't got around to doing !

No man is an island, but Barry is

Respected Member
    when my wife went to renew her passport 2 yrs ago in cdo -they put the holes in old passport -only after told us new passport wouldnt be ready until after we left manila for flight home so after few phone calls -my wife went to manila and had new passport done and back to cdo in 2 days.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdjones View Post
    We got handed back the old passport, and told "when the new one arrives in the post, stamp some holes in the old one"..... which we obviously haven't got around to doing !

Thanks. Was this in the UK? Recently?

Yes, the London Embassy in April/May.
    New passport arrived in about 4 - 5 weeks if memory serves me
    No man is an island, but Barry is

Thread Information