Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Banned

Julian Assange: Ecuador grants him asylum

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19281492

Time these Ecuadorians learned some respect for our judicial system.

Trade and Travel ban please Mr Hague - either that or put the SAS in, they're well versed in embassy busting

I wonder how long he'll stay inside the Embassy?

Or even if he'll actually be arrested if he steps foot outside?

Curiouser and curiouser!

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    There seems to be a relatively simple way to deal with this.

Get Sweden to give a legally binding undertaking that they will not extradite him to USA or any other country if UK extradite him to Sweden to stand trail. And if he is acquitted on the sex charges that he will be free to go where he wants.

As for the UK suspending Ecuador’s diplomatic status, so they can enter the embassy and arrest him, I believe that would establish a very dangerous precedent for countries worldwide to do the same and ignore diplomatic rights. Just image how the USA would have reacted had the Chinese done that when in May the blind activist was in their embassy in China.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    As for the UK suspending Ecuador’s diplomatic status, so they can enter the embassy and arrest him, I believe that would establish a very dangerous precedent for countries worldwide to do the same and ignore diplomatic rights. Just image how the USA would have reacted had the Chinese done that when in May the blind activist was in their embassy in China.
    You are probably right, a trade ban might might be effective, the ruling classes in Quito wouldn't like to do without their crates of Scotch

Respected Member
    Dedworth, I seem, to have failed to make myself clear to you.

I was not criticising Ecuador but Sweden's real intentions.

Banned
    Dedworth, I seem, to have failed to make myself clear to you.

I was not criticising Ecuador but Sweden's real intentions.
    I read that bit but our extradition arrangements are with Sweden that is where any consideration must stop, it's not up to us to worry if they might send him to Planet Zog. If the Ecudarorians had their wits about them he'd have been airfreighted to South America months ago in a diplomatic crate

Bit of a strange one this. Why didn't the Swedes accept the invitation to interview him here. It's obvious he's off the Yanks and the Saudis and if they get their hands on him that will probably be the last you see of him. Can't see him leaving London for Ecuador so Sweden is looking his best option. Time for some negotiation.

why is it that terrorists cannot be deported from the UK because they claim they might not get a fair trial in their own country or the country that wants them extradited, yet the British Gov is considering entering an Embassy to arrest Assange when he claims he is innocent of the charges.

I agree with you John, make the swedes state they will not extradite him to USA, that's a completely different matter.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

The British govt are most definitely not considering entering any embassy to force arrest. Period.

According to a TV interview today, the extradition requests from Sweden have been considered by UK courts but...... oddly the charge of rape has not been indicated.

I'm not suggesting any kind of conspiracy theory but there's alot that just does not add up.
    I also totally agree with John in that the solution lies with the Swedes to state no extradition to USA or any other country.
    After all it's Swedish law that is allegedly in question, not UK law nor EU law nor US law.
    According to reports on the legality of the charges, there are no such laws in UK or Europe that would have been breached even if the charges are found true.
    So why would Sweden want to even consider extradition to another country?

The whole issue of extradition laws and balance of requirements needs to be looked at imo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19287569

sounds to me Hague is saying they will enter the embassy to get him.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post

Sorry joe, totally disagree.
    Doesn't sound anything like that to me.
    Can you image the unthinkable aftershocks of such a stupid approach

Banned

Get in there

Who Dares Wins

Don't think he's saying that Joe. I think he's saying he will not leave this country under any diplomatic protection. If he comes out he's going to Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    Don't think he's saying that Joe. I think he's saying he will not leave this country under any diplomatic protection. If he comes out he's going to Sweden.
    i think he mentions they have a legal obligation and that is what they will do.

Trusted Member
    He's not going to be given 'free passage' is what they've said.

I hope he took a packed lunch and some spare socks.

Trusted Member
    Still, nice to know that our govt. are still tackling the easy targets.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/d...d-visa-1261773

Respected Member
    There seems to be a relatively simple way to deal with this.

Get Sweden to give a legally binding undertaking that they will not extradite him to USA or any other country if UK extradite him to Sweden to stand trail. And if he is acquitted on the sex charges that he will be free to go where he wants.

Agree entirely.

Respected Member
    It just occurred to me that they could get safe passage to an airport for Assange by appointing him as a member of the diplomatic staff of the embassy.

All such staff have absolute immunity from prosecution by a foreign government.

Something many so called "liberals" fail to grasp, is that with rights come responsibilities. This guy is in my opinion extremely reprehensible. There are often very good reasons why state secrets are just that. We might not agree with everything, however this little could and possibly has done a lot of damage to diplomacy between other countries with his sewer website.

Having said that, I unfortunately have to be on his side here. Firstly, there is no way on earth anyone should ever be entering an embassy. Doing this is a sign of a complete breakdown in legitimate government................even some of the direst banana republics would draw the line at this (note one example mind of a country which allowed and possibly organised a recent attack on the British embassy.....no prizes for which part of the world if you can't remember)

This seems to be more that someone has upset the Yanks and they want hold of him. Hate to say it, but theres laws we have to follow. So he did damage to this country as well, kind of ironic he's using our enshrined rights rules to save his own hide, when his site did quite a lot of damage to this country as well.

So yes, he can stay in that embassy. Doesn't mean mind if he ever steps outside, and therefore crosses the UK border that he won't be arrested

tch, double post

Respected Member
    This is a sort of catch 22 situation.

Assange may have endangered lives but as its all secret, we cannot and will not be told what he has actually done.

Bit like banks having the right to hide things from us because they believe it’s not necessary for us to know and that we should take their word that everything they do , is in the best interests of all of us.

There is no way we would believe that so why must we believe that the ’powers that be’ and in particular USA, who have arranged for people, whom they could not legally process, to be kidnapped all over the world and flown to secret destinations to be ‘interrogated’ , are keeping the secretes for the deeper benefit of us ?

As for the allegations in Sweden, there is no reason whatsoever, that Swedish police cannot go to UK, or request the UK police, to question him to establish whether there actually is a case against him, or not. That is a quite usual practice; I have been overseas several doing just that. So why don’t they do that? (My cynical mind here) because they have a different agenda which will involve Assange ‘disappearing’ via extraordinary rendition, to a USA interrogation area.

Trusted Member
    I'm sure you're right John.

Banned
    It just occurred to me that they could get safe passage to an airport for Assange by appointing him as a member of the diplomatic staff of the embassy.

All such staff have absolute immunity from prosecution by a foreign government.
    If it were that simple all sorts of dodgy countries would be trying it on. From the Daily Handwringer :-

Q Is there any way the Ecuadoreans can spirit him out of Britain and ensure he reaches the safety of Quito, their capital?

A: If Assange steps out of the embassy, he is liable to be arrested. Were he to be given a diplomatic passport, that would not alter the situation: immunity from arrest is only conferred on diplomats accredited to the Court of St James's by the Foreign Office.

Any attempt by the Ecuadoreans to have him accredited would be rebuffed by UK authorities. Were Assange to accept an Ecuadorean diplomatic passport, some suggest, he would become an Ecuadorean national – and therefore be unable to seek asylum in what would now be his own country's embassy. Diplomacy is a cunning profession – dangerously double-edged.

Trusted Member
    Good points Dedworth.

It will have to be a laundry basket job.

governments have to be accountable as much as , if not more than civilians for the actions they do..

those who vote for them have a right to know what they get up to.

Banned
    I wonder what Mr Assange and his supporters think about Ecuadors human rights record ? - maintaining a diplomatic silence on that one it would appear

Welcome to Ecuador, Mr Assange... it's the world's biggest banana grower. But it's also a hotbed of corruption, extortion and repression (so says WikiLeaks). You really want to live HERE?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz245Wwta2e

sounds like many countries in the world

talk of repression - The government will be able to monitor the calls, emails, texts and website visits of everyone in the UK under new legislation set to be announced soon.

sounds like Ecuador ?
    no its the UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17576745

Thread Information