Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Visit visa to settlement visa

ok question worth a long shot ,if my g f applies for 6 months visit visa and is granted can she apply for settlement visa half way through her visit visa as we will have lived together 2 years by then .we currently live in the philippines for the past 19 months or so .

No, she cannot change her visa whilst here
    ... why dont you just let her apply for a settlement visa straight away
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

because we have to live together for 2 years before we can apply.we were just going to wait in the philippines until the 2 years are up but i want to go back to visit my family with my g f as she has not met any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger31 View Post
    because we have to live together for 2 years before we can apply
    Im sorry, who gave you the idea that you have to live together for two years to be able to apply for a settlement visa??

i want to go back to visit my family with my g f as she has not met any of them.
    A visit visa is a visit visa you cannot change it to settlement visa , she still need to go back to the Philippines once the visa expires.

Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    Im sorry, who gave you the idea that you have to live together for two years to be able to apply for a settlement visa??
    border agency website

border agency website
    maybe ive got the wrong visa its un married partner settlement visa

maybe ive got the wrong visa its un married partnervisa
    she needs to apply for unmarried partner visa entering the uk,...and she can switch that category to a partner/settlement visa once shes here

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...can-you-apply/
    you must show that:
    you and your partner are both aged 18 or over at the date of application;
    your partner is not related to you in a way that means you could not marry in UK law;
    you and your partner have met in person;
    your relationship with your partner is genuine and subsisting;
    if you are married or in a civil partnership, your marriage or civil partnership is valid in UK law;
    you meet the suitability requirements;
    any previous relationship has permanently broken down (this does not apply to certain polygamous relationships);
    you and your partner intend to live together permanently in the UK;
    you meet the financial requirement;
    you meet the English language requirement; and
    if you are in the UK and want to extend your leave or apply for settlement in the UK you will need to meet the suitability requirement.

If you meet all these requirements you may be given permission to live in the UK for 2 and a half years. After that time you can then apply to stay for a further 2 and a half years if you meet the requirements. After 5 years, if you meet all the requirements you can apply for settlement.

...now for the visitors visa, it clearly states thats she is not allowed to switch

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...can-you-apply/

Can you 'switch' if you are already in the UK?

You will'' not'' be allowed to switch if you are in the UK:

as a visitor;

with permission to stay that was given for a period of less than 6 months (unless that leave was as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner)

on temporary admission; or
    in breach of the Immigration Rules (a period of overstaying of less than 28 days will not be taken into account).

ok question worth a long shot ,if my g f applies for 6 months visit visa and is granted can she apply for settlement visa half way through her visit visa as we will have lived together 2 years by then .we currently live in the philippines for the past 19 months or so .
    As sars has said, there is no possibility to switch from a visitor visa to any form of settlement visa within the UK.

Just based solely on what you've said, I think your best option is to complete a 2 year period living together and use that time to prepare for a settlement visa application.
    There's a considerable amount of evidence needed to support an application for the visa and also the claim that you have lived together in a relationship akin to marriage for 2 years.

Your situation may also be complicated by current financial requirements in that you are not yet employed in UK. As the sponsor you need to provide evidence of meeting the financial requirement from your own means. There is no third party financial sponsorhip considered.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    As sars has said, there is no possibility to switch from a visitor visa to any form of settlement visa within the UK.

Just based solely on what you've said, I think your best option is to complete a 2 year period living together and use that time to prepare for a settlement visa application.
    There's a considerable amount of evidence needed to support an application for the visa and also the claim that you have lived together in a relationship akin to marriage for 2 years.

Your situation may also be complicated by current financial requirements in that you are not yet employed in UK. As the sponsor you need to provide evidence of meeting the financial requirement from your own means. There is no third party financial sponsorhip considered.

Hope this helps
    ok thanks terps i don,t think the financial side applies to me as i,m war dissablement pensioner .maybe i need a check list on all the documents that i need ,i,m dreading all this crap hate forms lol

you still need to show you can support her without recourse to public funds - as under the old rules.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    you still need to show you can support her without recourse to public funds - as under the old rules.
    ive got 500 a week from pension and rentals and own my house that should do it

ive got 500 a week from pension and rentals and own my house that should do it

as a guide, you need minimum of something like £106wk after paying council tax, credit cards/loans and rent
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

i've been granted a visit visa last year .. when i came back here in the philippines after my visit .. i applied again for another visit visa but they refused my application and they put on my refusal paper that i need to apply spouse visa not visit visa because we are 1year married .. i thought we need to live together for 2 years before we can apply spouse visa thats why we planned to apply another visis visa but gladly i found this forum and they say we dont need to live 2years before we can apply spouse visa and we emailed UKBA and get the same answer .. and now its been a month since i applied spouse visa and still no news

Thread Information