Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Civil Partnership

Hi all, my first post here

My partner and I have been together for 18 months, including a year living together in the UK until his student visa expired in April. We initially pinned our hopes on the unmarried partners route but were unable to find a way to stay together for the 2 years, even a tourist visa was rejected.

Even after the last 4 months apart (apart from holidays) we're more determined than ever to be together, and im very happy to say that Am said yes to my proposal.

We are planning to have this in Embassy Manila, I've read some really useful guidance on this site but still gave a few questions.

Cenomar - is this the only document Am needs?
    CNI - am I correct in saying this isn't required for a civil partnership? The guidance is slightly contradictory.
    Can the consulate in Cebu perform this or does it have to be Manila?
    Do we need to stay in Ph for the two week notice period?
    Will we get a certificate right away that will allow him to apply for a married partners visa?

Probably a lot of others but I'm writing this on a tablet and it'll probably crash at any moment!

Really appreciate any advice given, and hello to you all!

Hello. Are you already civil partners or just planning to apply?

http://ukinthephilippines.fco.gov.uk...il-partnership

maybe you can get information here...

Welcome to the forum!!
    are you going to get married here in Philippines.?
    you need a cenomar from NSO here, you can book an appointment at embassy two weeks before you want to get the CNI. You can get the CNI right away if you have a local CNI from your registrar. There's a lot of thread here in the forum that you can read about applying spouse visa and wedding in the Philippines. Good luck to you!!

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Dizzy, yes I have read that (not a complete idiot...)

Rhose, thanks, but the info I have from the link dizzy posted is what confuses me, here's the bit about CNI:

Where two (2) British nationals wish to register their partnership, there is no need for a Certificate of No Impediment notice, as the notice of civil partnership should be completed for each party. Where a British national wishes to register their partnership with a foreign national at the Embassy, the foreign national needs to satisfy the Consul that he/she is free to enter into the partnership. This may be in the form of a Certificate of No Impediment or a letter confirming their status as being single. Either document can be issued by the local authorities in the country they are resident (provided they have been resident the country for longer than 21 days) or from the local diplomatic or consular representative of their country of nationality. If the foreign partner cannot provide evidence that they are free to enter into the partnership, no registration can take place.

So, it seems to say that only the Filipino partner needs a CNI. But how the heck can the British Embassy issue a CNI to a Filipino? So,is what they really mean that he needs a cenomar?

Quote Originally Posted by richh.uk View Post

Rhose, thanks, but the info I have from the link dizzy posted is what confuses me, here's the bit about CNI:

Where two (2) British nationals wish to register their partnership, there is no need for a Certificate of No Impediment notice, as the notice of civil partnership should be completed for each party. Where a British national wishes to register their partnership with a foreign national at the Embassy, the foreign national needs to satisfy the Consul that he/she is free to enter into the partnership. This may be in the form of a Certificate of No Impediment or a letter confirming their status as being single. Either document can be issued by the local authorities in the country they are resident (provided they have been resident the country for longer than 21 days) or from the local diplomatic or consular representative of their country of nationality. If the foreign partner cannot provide evidence that they are free to enter into the partnership, no registration can take place.

So, it seems to say that only the Filipino partner needs a CNI. But how the heck can the British Embassy issue a CNI to a Filipino? So,is what they really mean that he needs a cenomar?
    The UK CNI is available from your local registry office.
    It takes 22 days from time of application. It's 21 days for the 'bans'.

You need to present this UK document to the British Embassy in the Philippines to be issued a Philippine version called a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry.
    This certificate is needed for the application of a marriage license.

It has also now been reported that you will be required to obtain your own CENOMAR (Certificate of No Marriage) from NSO (National Statistics Office).

The CNI is a Certificate of no impediment (sometimes called Legal Capacity to Marry)
    This certificate provides evidence to officially authorised people that the marriage will be recognised as a valid marriage in both Philippines and the country of the foreign spouse.

A valid CNI is required by Philippine law.

A CENOMAR ( Certificate of No Marriage Record) is available from the National Statistics Office (NSO) and is simply what its name implies.
    It is a certification issued by the NSO stating that a person has not contracted any marriage winthin the Philippines.

Hope that helps

When someone tries to help.... it is best to say 'thank you'

Better you got a reply than nothing at all.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    http://ukinthephilippines.fco.gov.uk...il-partnership

maybe you can get information here...
    ... IS a very USEFUL link you've posted, Dizzy.

Dizzy, yes I have read that *(not a complete idiot...)
    Okay. But there's a further [Procedural] link at the foot of the page! Please click and

Nobody's saying you're an idiot ... nevertheless, I do think some expression of appreciation for a fellow member's efforts on your behalf wouldn't have gone amiss - as opposed to a rather *rude, dismissive retort.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    When someone tries to help.... it is best to say 'thank you'

Better you got a reply than nothing at all.
    s, Steve ... I, also, feel the OP's response could have been handled a little more sensitively.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    sensitively.
    Perhaps ... in the circumstances ... I should've said, "civily"!

... that's rich!

Banned
    I think you can contact with consultant or lawyer. They can guide you proper and also give you few easy ways for your future.

Thread Information