Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Severe Floods

Banned
    My wife said that her cousin, who lives in Manila, was saying that it is just like in the BBC report.

Respected Member
    Useless American infrastructure. As more than one Filipino has said to me, had we stayed in 1765 they would have drains like Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia have. Hong Kong has not lost a life to typhoon flooding in the past seventy years.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CBM View Post
    Useless American infrastructure. As more than one Filipino has said to me, had we stayed in 1765 they would have drains like Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia have. Hong Kong has not lost a life to typhoon flooding in the past seventy years.
    I remember having that conversation with my wife's family.....

Respected Member
    Kay went to visit her aunt in Quezon City on Sunday and has been stuck there since...a landslip to add to the fun...

Banned
    Theres a lot of incidents of landslips in the Philippines.....

Respected Member
    ..and none in Hong Kong, which is much more mountainous...

Marikina City has suffered very badly again.
    We are fortunate in that our house is on high ground. Still get plenty of leaks that need repairing though.

Marikina is very prone to flooding.

Charie's sisters live in Marikina too, and they do get flooded badly, but I have heard that they are all ok. But when you go to their house and see the high tide marks on the wall, it is very scary
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Banned
    Mrs Lastlid was just saying that one of the problems in Manila is that of rubbish blocking drains...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    Charie's sisters live in Marikina too, and they do get flooded badly, but I have heard that they are all ok. But when you go to their house and see the high tide marks on the wall, it is very scary
    Emmas dad lives there too, but all is well so far we are told, instead of paying for his new roof i have offered a rubber ring and armbands, just in case

Banned
    My wife's mother was saying that she thought that the Philippines ought to be able to send a good swimming squad to the Olympic games every 4 years....

Still haven't heard directly from Ruby yet, but have had contact with some of her family so I know she is safe. She lives in Obando, and it's been heavily underwater there for over two weeks now, and this obviously hasn't helped much at all. Hoping I can make direct contact tomorrow though

Trusted Member
    This is one topic where I won't be injecting any humour.

It's bad enough that so many of those affected will already be in poverty, but the loss of even a few of their meagre possessions will make life even harder for them.

Let's all be grateful for what we have....even if it's only insurance.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    This is one topic where I won't be injecting any humour.
    I think that the mother in law was just laughing at her own predicament. Presumably helps her / them get through it....

It happens so fast over there I remember last september it was fine but ten minutes later the taxi driver said I cant go any further. Me and the wife had to walk half a mile knee deep in water back to the hotel. And that was flooded. So I feel for the people there.

Banned
    Floods paralyse Philippine capital Manila

"At least nine people have been reported dead as torrential rain caused flooding that paralysed most parts of the Philippine capital, Manila.

The flooding - neck-deep in some areas - forced tens of thousands of people to flee their homes, closing schools, offices and the stock exchange.

Nine members of one family died after a landslide hit shanty houses in Quezon City, a government report said.

More than 50 people died when Typhoon Saola struck more than a week ago.

Widespread flooding has been reported in the capital and the surrounding provinces, according to a statement from the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council.

It said "the south-west monsoon enhanced by Tropical Storm 'Haikui' located 300km [184 miles] north-east of Taiwan" was expected to bring more rain.
    "

""Expect landslides and flashfloods in mountainous areas and floods in low-lying areas."

President Benigno Aquino met civil defence officials to discuss the situation. "Everybody who is supposed to do something is doing what he is supposed to do," he said.

The severity of the rain since Monday afternoon - in an already saturated city - has led officials to issue the highest level of alert, says the BBC's Kate McGeown in Manila.
    "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19159509

I looked at the footage this morning, looking at all those poor people dislodged and life turned upside own.
    I asked Rina why don't the drains work, she said most likely full of rubbish.
    It's so bad to see.

As always ... our thoughts and prayers are with those whose families are most badly affected.

Banned
    Manila flood death toll rises to 16 as rain continues

"At least 16 people have died in severe floods in the Philippine capital, Manila, officials say.

More than 80,000 people are in emergency shelters, as torrential rain left low-lying areas under water.

Soldiers and rescuers are using rubber boats to reach people stranded in their homes, but some are refusing to leave amid fears of looting.

The flooding - neck-deep in some parts of the city - forced the closure of offices and schools around the city.

More than half the amount of rain normally seen in August has fallen in the capital in 24 hours, reports say.

In the worst reported incident of casualties, nine members of one family died after a landslide hit shanty houses in Manila's Quezon City.
    "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19174538

Manila turned into 'water world' as floods submerge half the city

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...the-city.html#

Similar Story in China

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...on-Haikui.html

Respected Member
    Much of the trouble comes from rapid development without planning laws being properly enforced. Areas which were once farmland or forest are now covered in comcrete or in many parts of Manila in corrugated steel roofing; the water has nowhere to go.

People used to avoid building near hillsides because of the risk of landslips - now they feel they have to take the risk.

Trusted Member
    In other areas too:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    As always ... our thoughts and prayers are with those whose families are most badly affected.
    I wholeheartedly agree Arthur....we seem to be saying this every year.

Much of the trouble comes from rapid development without planning laws being properly enforced. Areas which were once farmland or forest are now covered in comcrete or in many parts of Manila in corrugated steel roofing; the water has nowhere to go.

People used to avoid building near hillsides because of the risk of landslips - now they feel they have to take the risk.

When you have a mountain range to the west of Manila chucking extraordinary amounts of water from hills in Antipolo and dumped into the Pasig river almost at once, every small river and water reservoir will(has) burst.
    At the end of the day you have to put all that water somewhere else..and quick.

One solution that I think might work is explained here..

http://z6.invisionfree.com/flipzi/ar/t1.htm

Banned
    Philippines ramps up flood relief efforts

"Efforts are under way in the Philippines to help hundreds of thousands of people affected by deadly floods that have paralysed the capital, Manila, and nearby areas.

Officials appealed to volunteers to help distribute supplies to almost 300,000 people at emergency shelters.

At least 19 people have died after a month's worth of rain fell over two days, causing landslides and floods.

A state of calamity has been declared in parts of Manila and other areas.

Almost two million people across 30 cities in 16 provinces have been affected by the floods, according to a report from the government's disaster management agency.

"Of the above total affected, 11,079 families/538,445 persons are currently served inside and outside evacuation centres," it said.
    "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19190685

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post

When you have a mountain range to the west of Manila chucking extraordinary amounts of water from hills in Antipolo and dumped into the Pasig river almost at once, every small river and water reservoir will(has) burst.
    At the end of the day you have to put all that water somewhere else..and quick.

One solution that I think might work is explained here..

http://z6.invisionfree.com/flipzi/ar/t1.htm
    Thanks; an interesting read.

Banned
    The Filipino Spirit is Waterproof.

http://waterproofph.tumblr.com/

Respected Member
    I'm obliged to a Pinoy friend for this proof that it really is down to those lousy American drains... this was 1935...

Thread Information