Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Respected Member

"Filipinos are becoming a nation of pygmies"

http://opinion.inquirer.net/33989/ph...ion-of-pygmies

“Next generation of Pinoys will be shorter, says study” (Inquirer, 7/21/12) was the saddest news that came out in the weeks of outlandish, optimistic reports and predictions about the national economy. It tells us that because of failed policies, our country is becoming a nation of pygmies.

The report says, three in every 10 Filipino children (30 percent of all children) aged five and below are stunted or too short for their age, while two out of 10 children of the same age are underweight. This stunted condition will be carried over to their adulthood. As physical conditions affect mentality, it is logical to expect that the Filipino adults’ minds would also shrink.

The stunning data were disclosed by the Food and Nutrition Research Institute. It conforms to the general feeling that poverty incidence in our country is way above 30 percent and not 27 percent as claimed by the government’s National Statistical Coordinating Board. This is consistent with the SWS survey finding that 51 percent of Filipino families consider themselves poor. It also explains why the Filipinos’ sports and academic performance have declined especially when compared to world standards.

Unfortunately after this promising start the writer wanders off into the Never Never Land inhabited by the Filipino Left, in which globalisation and the Americans are responsible for everything that has gone wrong with their country.

If globalisation were the problem, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and South Korea would be starving.

The problem is the lack of birth control, and the incredible web of petty regulations, often contradictory, which discourage investment and promote corruption.

But the figures themselves are staggering.

SWS = Social Weather Stations...

http://www.sws.org.ph/

Good organisation. Pretty accurate opinion polling which has had the effect of making elections more honest, starting with the fall of Marcos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Weather_Stations

Good thing we try to put new blood into the line then
    Mick.

I'd like to know the secret of how the men have a full mop of hair throughout their lives!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mickcant View Post
    Mick.
    Well, I've done my bit, Mick; one half Pinoy son is taller than me and the other plays prop for the local Under 11's ...

But I reckon it's diet, espescially when very young, that does the damage. Mothers come off breast feeding to get back to work early, and little toddlers don't get fed right because there is no money to get them what they need.

Respected Member
    Here's the original article:

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/232299/...o-malnutrition

MANILA, Philippines—The next generation of Filipinos will probably be shorter and lighter if the incidence of malnutrition in the country remains unchecked.

According to the latest study by the Food and Nutrition Research Institute, three in every 10 Filipino children aged 5 and below are stunted or too short for their age while two in every 10 children also in the same age range are underweight.

Speaking at a media conference on malnutrition, FNRI executive director Dr. Mario Capanzana said it was “alarming” that the stunting trend among children tends to increase as they get older.

Capanzana said stunting, a condition largely irreversible among children, was an indicator of chronic malnutrition. “It’s a multi-faceted problem and there’s no one solution to that,” he said.

He noted that exclusive breastfeeding, which has picked up over the last few years among Filipino mothers, is one of the solutions to stunting but still “not enough.”

When a child reaches 6 months old, he said, mothers must complement breast milk with the right kind of food. “We need to provide appropriate complementary quality food aside from commercially available baby food or weaning food,” said Capanzana.

The study showed that the prevalence of stunting was at 14.1 percent among infants 0-5 months old and 16.2 percent among infants aged 6-11 months old. The incidence of stunted growth among 1-year-olds was monitored at 33.6 percent and among 2-year-olds, 39.3 percent.

Stunting was highest among children aged 3, with 41.5 percent, according to the study.

Aside from stunting, children aged 5 and below were also underweight, according to Capanzana. He noted that the prevalence of underweight children was highest among those aged 4-5 years old at 23.2 percent.

The recent FNRI study also showed that the rate of underweight children was 21.8 percent among those aged 2; 21.7 percent among children aged 3; and 19.5 percent among children aged 1.

Figures also showed that incidence of underweight infants 0-5 months old was 12. 4 percent and among infants 6-11 months old, 15.2 percent.

The good news is that more Filipino mothers are now seeing the importance of exclusive breastfeeding of infants from birth until 6 months, said Capanzana.

In 2011, the rate of exclusive breastfeeding of infants for at least six months reached 46.7 percent, a “significant increase” from the 35.9 percent recorded in 2008, he said. This was also near the target of 50 percent set by the World Health Organization by 2025.

The media conference, also attended by representatives of nongovernmental organizations and the academe, was hosted by the Infant Pediatric and Nutrition Association of the Philippines, which has joined the Department of Education’s “Gulayan sa Paaralan” project launched last year.

The DepEd undertaking was part of the government’s efforts to solve the growing problem of malnutrition, especially among schoolchildren.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieXXXmaria View Post
    I'd like to know the secret of how the men have a full mop of hair throughout their lives!
    Me too ... now you come to mention it, Jamie; plus [often] a full set of teeth!

Banned
    My wife is 4ft 11" ...

Respected Member
    Looking around my older male Filipino friends, I count quite a high incidence of baldness and shall we say a "comfortable" waistline! I also suspect that quite a few of those bright shiny gnashers are false!

Quote Originally Posted by CBM View Post
    Looking around my older male Filipino friends, I count quite a high incidence of baldness and shall we say a "comfortable" waistline!
    Hmm ... too much contact with the headboard in the first instance, perhaps?

And in the second ... an over fondness for fatty foods.

I also suspect that quite a few of those bright shiny gnashers are false!
    ... just like MOST of mine, Craig - removable!

Respected Member
    In the words of the quite lovely Filipina doctor who gave me a seafarer's medical in Manil,a back in the nineties, when I said,

"But surely the Southeast Asian diet is healthy - fish, vegetables and rice?"

she replied,

"Yeah, fried fish, fried vegetables, fried rice all washed down with a six pack of beer on the couch in front of the TV!"

It''s fair to say I've never seen a plump balding rice farmer or fisherman, though - just journalists, lawyers and accountants!

It''s fair to say I've never seen a plump balding rice farmer or fisherman, though

- just journalists, lawyers and accountants!
    ... figures!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Me too ... now you come to mention it, Jamie; plus [often] a full set of teeth!
    Maybe the cure for baldness can be found in the Phils. Perhaps its the balut

Trusted Member
    Height is like other traits, mostly the result of inheritance – involving multiple genes - but also the environment, particularly nutrition.
    Average height for UK males is 5’9” ; females 5,4”. For the Philippines, it’s 5’4” and 5’ .
    As the article in the link confirms, stunting is an indicator of malnutrition. While the prevalence of malnutrition varies, being highest in rural regions such as Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao, Southern Mindanao, and Eastern Visayas, it does also affect children in Metro Manila. Diet and breastfeeding are obvious factors. However, the mirror-image of malnutrition is obesity. Malnutrition may affect twice as many Filipino kids as obesity, but the first appears to be declining, the second increasing. Diet and inactivity are the main factors in obesity – not, of course, a problem unique to Filipino kids. Obesity and inactivity are serious problems, overlooked in the Philippines and nearly every other country in the world. Among the serious health effects are diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, and many cancers – which is why you don’t see many obese old people – especially males.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mickcant View Post
    Mick.
    I'll go along with that Mick...its been noted by my wife's relatives back home how long our babies are compared to the ones being brought up there...our eldest boy of 14 months already taller than a cousin of 2 yo.

Banned
    In the words of the quite lovely Filipina doctor who gave me a seafarer's medical in Manil,a back in the nineties, when I said,

"But surely the Southeast Asian diet is healthy - fish, vegetables and rice?"

she replied,

"Yeah, fried fish, fried vegetables, fried rice all washed down with a six pack of beer on the couch in front of the TV!"

It''s fair to say I've never seen a plump balding rice farmer or fisherman, though - just journalists, lawyers and accountants!
    You missed out truck drivers

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Height is like other traits, mostly the result of inheritance – involving multiple genes - but also the environment, particularly nutrition.
    Average height for UK males is 5’9” ; females 5,4”. For the Philippines, it’s 5’4” and 5’ .
    As the article in the link confirms, stunting is an indicator of malnutrition. While the prevalence of malnutrition varies, being highest in rural regions such as Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao, Southern Mindanao, and Eastern Visayas, it does also affect children in Metro Manila. Diet and breastfeeding are obvious factors. However, the mirror-image of malnutrition is obesity. Malnutrition may affect twice as many Filipino kids as obesity, but the first appears to be declining, the second increasing. Diet and inactivity are the main factors in obesity – not, of course, a problem unique to Filipino kids. Obesity and inactivity are serious problems, overlooked in the Philippines and nearly every other country in the world. Among the serious health effects are diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, and many cancers – which is why you don’t see many obese old people – especially males.
    My Filipino wife is 5 6' and her three brothers are 6 footers...as pure Filipino as you can get.

Banned

Trusted Member
    My son was disappointed at only having reached 5'8" (I'm 6'1", his mother 4'10")....just the luck of the genes draw I guess, but he has also enjoyed perfect health and fitness from birth, was breast fed until 2 years of age and probably weighs nearly as much as me now, with the gym work, only 6% body fat too.

My Filipina stepdaughter has topped out at 4'11" after spending most of her life from 7 years old here in the UK. She has to watch her weight though, but I put that down to the student life here of boozing , as she naturally has a very small frame.

My stepson, who's father is of 'unknown origin' to me but clearly not Filipino, is also 5'8" but of light build. He spent his first 9 years in the Phils.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    My son was disappointed at only having reached 5'8" (I'm 6'1", his mother 4'10")....just the luck of the genes draw I guess, but he has also enjoyed perfect health and fitness from birth, was breast fed until 2 years of age and probably weighs nearly as much as me now, with the gym work, only 6% body fat too.

My Filipina stepdaughter has topped out at 4'11" after spending most of her life from 7 years old here in the UK. She has to watch her weight though, but I put that down to the student life here of boozing , as she naturally has a very small frame.

My stepson, who's father is of 'unknown origin' to me but clearly not Filipino, is also 5'8" but of light build. He spent his first 9 years in the Phils.
    Your right Graham..its the luck of the genes.
    My mother in law's side of the family were the normal Filipino dimensions, all short so, looks like we were lucky.....its still exciting to see how they will turn out though...our first son is fair skined (Filipino standards) with yellow hair..we thought he would keep his blue eyes but they went brown.
    Our 2nd son is slightly darker skined with darker hair...same dimensions though, long!...

Banned
    An old thread on the topic of mixed race babies....

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....ed+race+babies

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    An old thread on the topic of mixed race babies....

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....ed+race+babies
    Thanks Lastlid...theses last two Saturdays have been quite educational for me

Cheers

Trusted Member
    Of course there’s an element of luck in what we inherit – which we can’t control – and how our environment affects us - which we can control, up to a point. Some people will be taller than average, others smaller, just as some may be obese and smoke, and still live to be 100. Several genes have been identified associated with height variability in the normal population ( especially “ High Mobility Group “/ HMGA2 ). While very tall parents do have tall offspring, they tend not to be as tall as the parents, and vice versa ( “ regression to the mean “ ). Our genetic makeup or genotype interacts with the environment to produce our phenotype - how we look, as well as what diseases we may acquire, and there’s an important specialty of clinical genetics.
    Here’s what I said in Lastlid's thread, which is now closed – please remember this is not an easy topic to explain.
    We’ve come a long way since Darwin’s “ theory “ of evolution ( 1859 ), and Mendel’s experiments growing pea plants ( 1865 ). The entire human genome has been mapped in the past few years (http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresource...ome/home.shtml. ).
    Every cell has 22 pairs of chromosomes and two sex chromosomes ( XX in female and XY in male ). During the type of cell division known as meiosis, a mixture of both the individual’s parental chromosomes occurs.
    If fertilization is successful, a sperm(atozoon) unites with an egg, and genetic material from the parents thus forms the unique child’s genome.
    It’s complicated ! While a few traits are due to only one gene (and its alleles, or variants), most are the product of interactions between several genes. When more than one gene influences a trait, the inheritance pattern is not easily predictable. The predictable patterns referred to as dominant and recessive apply only to single gene traits. Most features are not just due to one gene, whether it’s eye colour ( http://www.burpingbaby.net/baby_eye_color.htm ), skin colour,height, or indeed how long an individual can expect to live (http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/conte...its/telomeres/ ). The same applies to diseases – which are probably all due to genetic and environmental influences. It is possible to sequence the entire genome of an individual, from a blood sample, at a price. The cost of this has steadily come down, no more than about £ 500 now – but most people wouldn’t want to do this.
    Genetic tests are more likely indicated for several clinical reasons. These include carrier screening ( for breast cancer genes ), diagnosis in an individual with symptoms, testing for risk of various other cancers, pre-implantation genetic diagnosis ( embryos ), newborn screening, and forensic / identity testing. Over 1000 genetic tests are now available. Research is still ongoing - for example the Cancer Genome Project to identify genes involved in human cancer development.

Respected Member
    I always intended to produce a drop dead gorgeous Anglo-Filipina daughter who would make or marry a fortune and keep her parents in the style to which they wished to become accustomed. Two Anglo-Filipino boys (not matching - one tall thin and brown, one solid muscular and white) and one pure Filipino stepson later, I am no nearer my objective, but I am quite pleased with the whole bunch.

Banned
    Here's the original article:

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/232299/...o-malnutrition

MANILA, Philippines—The next generation of Filipinos will probably be shorter and lighter if the incidence of malnutrition in the country remains unchecked.

According to the latest study by the Food and Nutrition Research Institute, three in every 10 Filipino children aged 5 and below are stunted or too short for their age while two in every 10 children also in the same age range are underweight.

Speaking at a media conference on malnutrition, FNRI executive director Dr. Mario Capanzana said it was “alarming” that the stunting trend among children tends to increase as they get older.

Capanzana said stunting, a condition largely irreversible among children, was an indicator of chronic malnutrition. “It’s a multi-faceted problem and there’s no one solution to that,” he said.

He noted that exclusive breastfeeding, which has picked up over the last few years among Filipino mothers, is one of the solutions to stunting but still “not enough.”

When a child reaches 6 months old, he said, mothers must complement breast milk with the right kind of food. “We need to provide appropriate complementary quality food aside from commercially available baby food or weaning food,” said Capanzana.

The study showed that the prevalence of stunting was at 14.1 percent among infants 0-5 months old and 16.2 percent among infants aged 6-11 months old. The incidence of stunted growth among 1-year-olds was monitored at 33.6 percent and among 2-year-olds, 39.3 percent.

Stunting was highest among children aged 3, with 41.5 percent, according to the study.

Aside from stunting, children aged 5 and below were also underweight, according to Capanzana. He noted that the prevalence of underweight children was highest among those aged 4-5 years old at 23.2 percent.

The recent FNRI study also showed that the rate of underweight children was 21.8 percent among those aged 2; 21.7 percent among children aged 3; and 19.5 percent among children aged 1.

Figures also showed that incidence of underweight infants 0-5 months old was 12. 4 percent and among infants 6-11 months old, 15.2 percent.

The good news is that more Filipino mothers are now seeing the importance of exclusive breastfeeding of infants from birth until 6 months, said Capanzana.

In 2011, the rate of exclusive breastfeeding of infants for at least six months reached 46.7 percent, a “significant increase” from the 35.9 percent recorded in 2008, he said. This was also near the target of 50 percent set by the World Health Organization by 2025.

The media conference, also attended by representatives of nongovernmental organizations and the academe, was hosted by the Infant Pediatric and Nutrition Association of the Philippines, which has joined the Department of Education’s “Gulayan sa Paaralan” project launched last year.

The DepEd undertaking was part of the government’s efforts to solve the growing problem of malnutrition, especially among schoolchildren.
    It doesn't help that the price of quality formula milk is on par with the price of it here..
    Hence the use of rice milk...or very well they saying breast feeding is perfect upto the age of two but, its been known some women cant produce enough to keep up with demand thus, giving in to the bottle....here we have that choice..lucky us.....not so in the phils

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Of course there’s an element of luck in what we inherit – which we can’t control – and how our environment affects us - which we can control, up to a point. Some people will be taller than average, others smaller, just as some may be obese and smoke, and still live to be 100. Several genes have been identified associated with height variability in the normal population ( especially “ High Mobility Group “/ HMGA2 ). While very tall parents do have tall offspring, they tend not to be as tall as the parents, and vice versa ( “ regression to the mean “ ). Our genetic makeup or genotype interacts with the environment to produce our phenotype - how we look, as well as what diseases we may acquire, and there’s an important specialty of clinical genetics.
    Here’s what I said in Lastlid's thread, which is now closed – please remember this is not an easy topic to explain.
    We’ve come a long way since Darwin’s “ theory “ of evolution ( 1859 ), and Mendel’s experiments growing pea plants ( 1865 ). The entire human genome has been mapped in the past few years (http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresource...ome/home.shtml. ).
    Every cell has 22 pairs of chromosomes and two sex chromosomes ( XX in female and XY in male ). During the type of cell division known as meiosis, a mixture of both the individual’s parental chromosomes occurs.
    If fertilization is successful, a sperm(atozoon) unites with an egg, and genetic material from the parents thus forms the unique child’s genome.
    It’s complicated ! While a few traits are due to only one gene (and its alleles, or variants), most are the product of interactions between several genes. When more than one gene influences a trait, the inheritance pattern is not easily predictable. The predictable patterns referred to as dominant and recessive apply only to single gene traits. Most features are not just due to one gene, whether it’s eye colour ( http://www.burpingbaby.net/baby_eye_color.htm ), skin colour,height, or indeed how long an individual can expect to live (http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/conte...its/telomeres/ ). The same applies to diseases – which are probably all due to genetic and environmental influences. It is possible to sequence the entire genome of an individual, from a blood sample, at a price. The cost of this has steadily come down, no more than about £ 500 now – but most people wouldn’t want to do this.
    Genetic tests are more likely indicated for several clinical reasons. These include carrier screening ( for breast cancer genes ), diagnosis in an individual with symptoms, testing for risk of various other cancers, pre-implantation genetic diagnosis ( embryos ), newborn screening, and forensic / identity testing. Over 1000 genetic tests are now available. Research is still ongoing - for example the Cancer Genome Project to identify genes involved in human cancer development.
    Thank you Alan...a brilliant post...ive pasted it for future reference
    Cheers

Banned
    I always intended to produce a drop dead gorgeous Anglo-Filipina daughter who would make or marry a fortune and keep her parents in the style to which they wished to become accustomed. Two Anglo-Filipino boys (not matching - one tall thin and brown, one solid muscular and white) and one pure Filipino stepson later, I am no nearer my objective, but I am quite pleased with the whole bunch.
    Hahaha...wife and I had the same thoughts hahaha...so far produced 2 boys..in our eyes, drop dead gorgeous ...we'll keep trying to give them a sister but, that'll be after we've had a breather

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    Thank you Alan...a brilliant post...ive pasted it for future reference
    Cheers
    You're very kind, thank you in return . I was lucky enough to work in genetics at Glasgow years ago, have always been interested in it, so I'm happy if my post was helpful ( NOT copied and pasted ).

we are not becoming a nation of pygmies , its our ancestors you
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post

we are not becoming a nation of pygmies , its our ancestors you
    Actually, probably not.

Most (not all - remember the hill tribes) Filipinos are Malayo-Polynesians and are thought to have arrived by boat from Taiwan; some went on to spread the Malayo-Polynesian language group and genes far and wide, from Madagascar via New Zealand to Easter Island.

Genetically and linguistically, Filipinos are close to Fijians and Maoris - who are not small people at all!

All "Boat people who eat dog!"

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information