Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Re Arthur and Norton anti-virus programme.

Hi Arthur
    I read in another thread that you had taken your laptop in to P C World to have a new Norton anti-virus programme added.

If you are using a Microsoft system like Vista XP or Windows 7 then you can easily get their" free"
    Security Essentials.

I have it on two computers and it works fine and does not run out and need renewing, and did I say it is "Free"

Happy computing,
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by mickcant View Post

If you are using a Microsoft system like Vista XP or Windows 7 then you can easily get their" free"
    Security Essentials.
    , Mick ... I'm a complete "Wally" where technology is concerned. How?

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    , Mick ... I'm a complete "Wally" where technology is concerned. How?
    Hi Arthur
    Click on this link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/secur...urity/mse.aspx

But you cannot have two anti-virus programmes on a computer and have just paid for your Norton I belive.

I was using the paid for AGV system but kept getting complacations becouse I had it on 2 computers so just deleted it and moved to Microsofts one, it works quietly away in thev background and updates itself too, it will tell you when it finds somthing.

So when I get a renewal message from AGV I will not renerw it.
    Mick.

Banned
    I had trouble with Norton years ago , been using free AVG ever since

So, guys ... what's the NEXT step to get my username & password both recognised and up and running for email purposes?

As I explained on the other thread that Mick refers to, I left my machine overnight with PC World on Sunday past because they'd apparently needed 7 hours to "remove Microsoft" [or something] before they could install the replacement Norton 360 system. And when the Manager returned the complete entity - supposedly connected up - yesterday evening, I thought everything would be hunkey dorey. ... Alas NOT!

So, guys ... what's my NEXT step to get my email function going?
    sorry i cant help, i dont know norten to be able to try explain where and how to change any settings which might be blocking your email, im assuming its antivirus plus firewall, could be the firewall thats blocking email,

try look for a contact support link for norten by clicking on its icon,then ask their help, have a look around it, but dont clic anything your not sure of

So, guys ... what's my NEXT step to get my email function going?
    I thought you had the Norton put on in the store? if you have paid for a years subscription you might as well use thaat until it comes up for renewal.

If the Norton has run out you can remove it from "add remove programmes" in the control panel, then use the link i sent to get the free microsoft one?

Mick.

im understanding that you have now purchased and had norten installed for the next 12 months

Quote Originally Posted by mickcant View Post
    I thought you had the Norton put on in the store? if you have paid for a years subscription you might as well use thaat until it comes up for renewal.
    Yes ... I DID have it installed in the store - and paid £25 connection charge for the privilege + £19.99 for the Norton itself. Hitherto, I simply renewed it online annually, and - even if it cost me nearly 70 quid a time - at least there was no buggering up the works in the process.

But the engineer said I'd have to leave the main box for them to uninstall the Microsoft "something or other" ( no idea what he was talking about - just left it up to him!).

Oh dear ... I'm such a luddite! Computers ... grrr!

Banned
    My suggestion Arthur is keep well away from PC World and leave it to the looters

There should be a reliable independent computer shop locally, who will provide better service for lower prices with none of the bull about Tech Guys and so forth

Yes ... I DID have it installed in the store - and paid £25 connection charge for the privilege + £19.99 for the Norton itself.

But the engineer said I'd have to leave the main box for them to uninstall the Microsoft "something or other" ( no idea what he was talking about - just left it up to him!).

Oh dear ... I'm such a luddite! Computers ... grrr!
    Arthur, I cannot understand why seeing that you paid why they did not do all the job, if you have a laptop what is the main box they are on about is this a router?

Anti virus is normall only on the computer, I have nothing like that on my router.

I think you need somone who can be hands on with it, perhaps a local computer repair shop, you do not want to run with no anti virus on?

I cannot think what else to suggest.

As iI said I removed my AGV and put the Microsft one stright off.
    Mick.

my computer never lets me down

Thanks, Mick, Stewart & Ded ... it's probably something simple I'm overlooking, and the Store Manager likely thought I KNEW what to do. Bet when I see my friend again on Sunday, he'll sort it in a couple of minutes flat. Much easier when there's someone sitting beside you at times like these. Meanwhile, the problem (whatever it is) doesn't stop me using the forum. That's the MAIN thing!

unfortunatly i dont think anyone i know would trust their computer to pc world,

is there no one can recommend you to reliable small computer repair shop?

I would suggest just go to AVG antivirus.
    If you install norton antivirus, they might cause problems with your computer if you uninstall it. They seem to use some of your hardware to work properly. It was so bad 3 years ago that they have to make uninstall instruction and software just to do it.

Banned
    I have never really had problems with Norton Antivirus. I have used it for many years now, both at home and at work. All of our offshore computers, probably in the region of 100 PCs, used it, essentially problem free, in a setting where remoteness calls for reliability. I also noticed that many of the oil companies used it offshore too.

I have been running Norton 360 on this laptop for almost 2 years now, problem free.

Hi Arthur, any developments?
    Mick.

Trusted Member
    Ref, Arthuritis.

I've been using AVG (free) on this computer since I bought it 9 years ago, and no probs at all except maybe a bit of rust, stale crumbs and caked-on coffee stains.

Thread Information