Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Respected Member

Fudding (Food & Pudding)

Is there any Filipino restaurant in the UK? Honestly, English people are missing out on our foods. Everytime I speak to someone about our food and how we cook them, I start salivating - torture

I can't cook Filipino food to save my life , breadwinner back home and all that (excuses, excuses!!) I have a Filipina friend where I used to live up in London, who's accused me of just befriending her because she can cook, and I can't to which there is a hint of truth there - I was desperate

We are thinking of going to the Philippines next year, so I will start writing down my list of food to eat. Gosh! I sound hungry - don't I? My husband does feed me, every now and then ha ha .

london well away from those people up norf
    There are a few places in london two resturants in earls court and one over in charlotte street just by goodge st station.
    Its debatable how good they are some people think they are not up to much others like them. But if its just for some basic phill foods in a phill like enviroment then they should be fine.

All three resturants seem to do buffets where you can eat as much as you can,they looked worried when i went up for my fourth or was it fifth time as most seem to go up once but to me that kind of defeats the object of a eat as much as you can buffet.

Respected Member
    Offering buffett, but hoping customers will have smaller appetite eh? I do feel resentful when we have to go to chinese restaurant's that buffett, because unfortunately my eyes are bigger than my belly, and I wish I could go for seconds to get my money's worth (I sound really stingy there, didn't I?)

Sounds a long way from where we live now though, these restaurants, perhaps I can convince my hubby to go there sometime. We live in the country now, Kent, moved from South East London in 2003. Cheers, anyway.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andypaul View Post
    There are a few places in london two resturants in earls court and one over in charlotte street just by goodge st station.
    Its debatable how good they are some people think they are not up to much others like them. But if its just for some basic phill foods in a phill like enviroment then they should be fine.

All three resturants seem to do buffets where you can eat as much as you can,they looked worried when i went up for my fourth or was it fifth time as most seem to go up once but to me that kind of defeats the object of a eat as much as you can buffet.
    Offering buffett, but hoping customers will have smaller appetite eh? I do feel resentful when we have to go to chinese restaurant's that buffett, because unfortunately my eyes are bigger than my belly, and I wish I could go for seconds to get my money's worth (I sound really stingy there, didn't I?)

Sounds a long way from where we live now though, these restaurants, perhaps I can convince my hubby to go there sometime. We live in the country now, Kent, moved from South East London in 2003. Cheers, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Liliput39 View Post

Not sure where you are in kent but its only a train ride and a quick go on the tube form kent to all of them. The ones in earls court have phill food stores nearby so you can make an afternoon of it like many do.

Banned
    beautiful belfast-now/beautiful bayawan-future!
    There is a small filipino restaraunt here in belfast called "Mabuhay" . . .

I sometimes go there to get the adobo, although it's a bit pricey lol!

My gal loves "dinoldog" -- it's her favourite food . . .
    and when i go there to the Philippines in December . . . i will be taking part in a

BALUT EATING COMPETITION!

lol!

Quote Originally Posted by bigtombowski View Post

and when i go there to the Philippines in December . . . i will be taking part in a

lol!
    have mercy on the baby chickenAll of my life i`ve never tried Balut and am so proud of you,if your doing that
    to loved and beloved is the greatest joy on earth...

Respected Member

Balut!

I love Filli food, but i had to turn away at balut - i love chicken and boiled egss, but not at the same time lol.

Banned
    haha!

i have this thing , , ,, if i go to a foreign country where the food is different, I have GOTTA try it!

I have been looking forward to eating balut for about a year now! lol! just 5 months to go!

tom

haha!

i have this thing , , ,, if i go to a foreign country where the food is different, I have GOTTA try it!

I have been looking forward to eating balut for about a year now! lol! just 5 months to go!

tom
    Just a tip Tom, close your eyes before you eat the balut (don't ever look what's inside) and make sure you have a fizzy drink ready! and expect some crunchy bits when you chew it!
    Not an expert, I only try to help.

That beak can be hell to get out from between your teeth
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Banned
    haha!

i am looking forward to the audio-visual, multi-sensory and taste experience

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJ View Post
    Just a tip Tom, close your eyes before you eat the balut (don't ever look what's inside) and make sure you have a fizzy drink ready! and expect some crunchy bits when you chew it!
    Or be very drunk

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJ View Post
    Listen to LadyJ Tom!
    Close your eyes and be sure to ask someone to put salt or pepper in it...a bottle of San Miguel will do!!!

Banned
    hey, pea, i'll be having a CRATE of SM! lol!

Talking

hey, pea, i'll be having a CRATE of SM! lol!

Don't forget to share!!!

Banned
    most definately Ate Pea!

Respected Member
    hmm balut! It is funny though when I talk about it to English friends, they cringe - I wonder why?

I really miss our food, sometimes I make myself feel better by browsing the internet of Filipino recipes, but of course, coz I can't cook it is just gathering dust. I'm like I cook that, and that and that..........

Oh well! Can't have everything in this world!!

hmm balut! It is funny though when I talk about it to English friends, they cringe - I wonder why?

I really miss our food, sometimes I make myself feel better by browsing the internet of Filipino recipes, but of course, coz I can't cook it is just gathering dust. I'm like I cook that, and that and that..........

Oh well! Can't have everything in this world!!

Of course you can cook my Missus mate who has lived here for the quite a few years now had to get the Wife to show her how to cook some very basic foods. Now she is fine i guess sometimes its more a not having someone to make them with at first which is the problem.

But i think even i could have a bash at some dishes if you gave me a receipe book the ingredients and a gas mask to filter out the vinegar fumes.

Actually my Wife before she left and even when she went back to phill last, made lots of notes both mental and written ones on receipes and methods to cook foods she loves. Now with the add of skype and truphone she will go though the first run with her mum or a tita to make sure it goes smooth and off she goes.

For all you ladies yet to move over, who miss the home cooking its worth practising your favourites dishes before leaving, its what i did here in the UK before i moved out from home but still had to go back to taste the real thing

My wife on her last trip back took many novel new foods back whch they loved such as bread and butter pudding, xmas pudding (which was the best recieved by far) and belive it or not butter chicken (which she learned the receipe from the local indian takeaway) If we ever go then when its rainy season the missus wants to cook them a roast dinner but thats not a great dish to prepare when its 36 all day

.....and a gas mask to filter out the vinegar fumes.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Respected Member
    Does anyone here miss 'daing' (dried salted fish) at all? I do, unfortunately, I can't really cook it anymore, otherwise I'll be ostracised by my neighbours.

My husband had bad but funny experience with daing, when some of my friends at the Kontiki Beach resort in Cebu, made him eat daing without explaining to him 'must dip it in vinegar and plenty of rice', my poor husband was traumatised!! It was like my first time with marmite, no one told me to use just a little, so it was like toast soaked in soy sauce

Just a thought, if you hate your neighbours who've been annoying, try and cook 'daing', that will make them go away. Then, you can always threaten them of cooking it if they start annoying you again.

Does anyone here miss 'daing' (dried salted fish) at all? I do, unfortunately, I can't really cook it anymore, otherwise I'll be ostracised by my neighbours.

My husband had bad but funny experience with daing, when some of my friends at the Kontiki Beach resort in Cebu, made him eat daing without explaining to him 'must dip it in vinegar and plenty of rice', my poor husband was traumatised!! It was like my first time with marmite, no one told me to use just a little, so it was like toast soaked in soy sauce

Just a thought, if you hate your neighbours who've been annoying, try and cook 'daing', that will make them go away. Then, you can always threaten them of cooking it if they start annoying you again.

My wife cooks alsorts of things which im sure have the dodgy smell police in tears ( we arrange it for days im out or have a heavy cold)

But seriously you can buy dried fish in packs from many of the chinese food stores which are all over the place.

But seriously you can buy dried fish in packs from many of the chinese food stores which are all over the place.
    My wife says she really misses the dried fish but I think if you buy it in packs from the Chinese food stores, it won't taste the same as the stuff you get from the markets in Phils; where it's just stacked up there and left exposed to the flies etc all day long.

Iain.

Talking

My wife cooks alsorts of things which im sure have the dodgy smell police in tears ( we arrange it for days im out or have a heavy cold)

I can only cook few filipino food sinigang, adobo and nilaga but I am an expert in Italian cuisine. I think I lured my husband to marry me because of my pasta and arrosto specialties

'We dance in a circle and suppose, while the secret sits in the middle and knows'

R.F.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    My wife says she really misses the dried fish but I think if you buy it in packs from the Chinese food stores, it won't taste the same as the stuff you get from the markets in Phils; where it's just stacked up there and left exposed to the flies etc all day long.

Iain.
    tell her to go to Wing Yip in Birmingham and you can get any filipino food u want

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanutz View Post
    I can only cook few filipino food sinigang, adobo and nilaga but I am an expert in Italian cuisine. I think I lured my husband to marry me because of my pasta and arrosto specialties
    lucky man!
    lol

tell her to go to Wing Yip in Birmingham and you can get any filipino food u want
    Been to Wing Yip a few times, you still can't find it left exposed with flies buzzing all around it all day there.

I doubt any phill food, as half couldn't be sold in the UK without breaking the food safety laws here

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post

Iain.
    do you think it might have been the secret recipe why it's addictive

Respected Member

lol!
    It is a bit far for me to go!!! Dinoldog, is that pumpkin in coconut juice?
    Hmmm..........as Homer would say.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information