Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Post Family migration lobby of parliament in brief

A short summary on the Migrants' Rights Network and JCWI lobby in parliament.

Lord Judd opened the meeting by hoping to explore the implications of the new policy which contradicts the messages being given about the moralisation of the family and its benefits.

Source:-
    http://www.migrantsrights.org.uk/blo...rliament-brief

And there is a point, why has Ed Milliband not said anything on the subject? Maybe none of the parties really deep down give a stuff about this

There are a lot of legal 'challenges' to this as well as a lot of 'challengers', there's also a lot of political jockeying to be done.
    It's still early days, but I'm convinced most of the changes will be overturned in time.
    Just don't know how much time it will take.

Well, I will declare I tend to favour Labour as a more "fair" party than the tories, but I am not the biggest fan of them - they too make too many political howlers, and frankly seem incapable of running a drinking session in a brewery when it comes to economic policy.
    It could also be argued that the current situation is as a result of Labour's immigration policy, however this would be unfair, as it is irrelevant what happened in the past, you don't resolve one unfair thing by coming out with something knee-jerk and even more unfair.

Having said that, a labour guy has told me that they are preparing their own response to this subject, and before they do it, they want to have in place their own "alternative" suggestion.

So it could be Milliband isn't saying anything because he and his party isn't ready - or it could be that they haven't a clue/don't care etc.
    If this is the case (I actually doubt it), then it would be short sighted, as there could be political capital on this. Firstly in the case of labour, they could ring true with their support painting this as an attack on ethnic minorities, on women and on the poor, and secondly they could make capital by emphasising this as an attack on the young who travel more and might meet partners............but not have yet the earning capacity, and by playing up the "American boyfriend, Australian girlfriend" thing and playing down the subcontinent area, as the former is where real sympathy would lie with the public.

The whole thing is a complete dogs dinner. Frankly it's taken away my respect (As it was, which wasn't a right lot) for the LibDems in letting this ever see light of day.

Anyone reading this has probably worked out I don't like politicians full stop

i have no respect for any of them , there are out the mould , self self self

Might sound strange, but the country I think would be a better place if the act of "wanting" to become a politician would render that person ineligible for the post

Interesting reading, Peter. I've spent a considerable amount of time this afternoon and evening, perusing the largely supportive responses received to date from various MPs, comfortingly numerous representatives of the Migrants' Rights Network and JCWI Parliamentary lobbies, alike ... even adding some of my own generalised observations (for what they're worth!!! ) to the link you've kindly provided.

Glad you enjoyed it Arthur.

It's clear there's a groundswell of opposition and a good amount of it highly organised.

Only time will tell. Plenty to keep abreast of.

Thread Information