Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jobs that earn £18,600 or more:

Just an idea to ask about what jobs you could apply for that earn this amount or more. I'm very good with computers and got a Btec 10 years ago and I did graphic designing so I heard that a web developer could earn this amount and you could work from home too.
    Could you earn thousands by working from home?
    What if you get paid £300 a month? You could be more than £20,000 by the end of the year.
    Just thinking what to do to bring my mahal here if we marry in the future

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick30 View Post
    Just an idea to ask about what jobs you could apply for that earn this amount or more. I'm very good with computers and got a Btec 10 years ago and I did graphic designing so I heard that a web developer could earn this amount and you could work from home too.
    Could you earn thousands by working from home?
    What if you get paid £300 a month? You could be more than £20,000 by the end of the year.
    Just thinking what to do to bring my mahal here if we marry in the future
    £300 a month = £3600 for a whole year.

To earn 20k you need to be earning around £400 p/w

Was having a good look on some job sites yesterday actually, and all that is available that is over £19k are managerial or high status positions which require experience. Having worked in a non managerial role in retail for my 10 year working life, I can safely say I am buggered! Roll on the expected fight!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteBloodAda View Post
    Was having a good look on some job sites yesterday actually, and all that is available that is over £19k are managerial or high status positions which require experience. Having worked in a non managerial role in retail for my 10 year working life, I can safely say I am buggered! Roll on the expected fight!
    19k for all that responsibility & stress?

I got 10k more for delivering passports.

What do you do at the moment Nic and how far short of the Threshold are you. There are a few ways round it depending on your current circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick30 View Post
    Just an idea to ask about what jobs you could apply for that earn this amount or more.
    I think in our sort of environment only ''full time'' jobs can earn £18,600 per annum
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

I work as a classroom assistant at a special needs school. I wonder what the few ways would mean on my current circumstance?

Depending how far short of the threshold you are you might like to consider some additional part time work to get you above it. Lets face it desperate times call for desperate measures.

I see. Yes you're right there marco.

Trusted Member
    Door-knocking can earn you quite good money.

The canvasser I used to employ could clear £500 a week in his hand for maybe 4 hours work a day.

Respected Member
    I heard from someone at work if you have 2 job you get taxed more or somthing so no matter how hard you work still might have problems getting income high enough to bring your wife.

I'm doing care work and only part time very hard to find full time work as i cant drive so im currently learning lol

Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    What do you do at the moment Nic and how far short of the Threshold are you. There are a few ways round it depending on your current circumstances.
    The government rules are so confusing. What exactly do they mean earn income of £18600?
    I have said before in my situation I work in a team that operates 24/7 so I am contracted to work unsociable hours. However the government can argue that my unsociable hours are not guaranteed. Obviously for working weekends I earn more money. On top of this I get mileage allowance. i.e every mile I travel in the community I get fuel allowance. Does this count towards my annual earnings? On top of this I get a monthly car maintenance allowance. (Does this count as part of my income)?. Because of my contract there is no way I can get part time work as I work variable shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by zaxy View Post
    I heard from someone at work if you have 2 job you get taxed more or somthing so no matter how hard you work still might have problems getting income high enough to bring your wife.

I'm doing care work and only part time very hard to find full time work as i cant drive so im currently learning lol
    You can have as many jobs as you want.
    You pay tax on your earnings above your personal allowances.

Income Tax - the basics

It's important to understand you tax position.

Anyway, the UKBA income threshold is £18600 gross income. Means all income before any deduction of tax etc.

i think UKBA will check with the Taxman as many gov departments share information, just to make sure you have paid the amount of tax you should be paying for the wage you claim you earn
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Trusted Member
    Not sure about that Joe.

They're not THAT organised yet.

It will be on your payslips anyway....which you WILL have to submit, or books/p60 if self-employed.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread but I am new to all this. I need to learn. I work as a nurse so I need to earn over £18600 to be able to get my Filipino wife here ?

Trusted Member
    In a word...yes.

Gross income.

Thank you. I hope things get sorted for you.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Not sure about that Joe.

They're not THAT organised yet.

It will be on your payslips anyway....which you WILL have to submit, or books/p60 if self-employed.
    i think so, the inland revenue use credit reference agencies. as i found out when they asked me about a loan i had for checking my Id.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

i wonder what happens when you got no mortgage no bills no debt at all, so you work less so less income, how do you stand on that, no £18000+ but lots of spare cash

i wonder what happens when you got no mortgage no bills no debt at all, so you work less so less income, how do you stand on that, no £18000+ but lots of spare cash

Exactly !
    No man is an island, but Barry is

Trusted Member
    You are dealing with civil servants and a form with tick boxes.

If they were a credit company things would be different, but they're not.

Respected Member
    one thing to remember with any extra work, make sure it is recorded so the pencil pushers can see you have a regular income (probably means a taxed income, sigh).

To get a good income in this field is very possible, but it will take a bit of time especially as you may need training/certification. Remember, experience/references and networking are what get you jobs in any field. You will probably find you excel in one area of IT. Technical support or similar might be a good place to start if you're a techie, or marketing/product manager if you're more creative. Either way, in 5-10 years you should be able to progress to the 40% tax bracket. Oh, you may need to move to get a job too - all these things take effort and commitment. But of course the love of your life is worth it!!!

Will a salary of £28000 Be sufficient ?

That's what I earn as a nurse. I do extra shifts so its a bit more.

Trusted Member
    Yes, more than enough.

Thank you.

This is a minefield and I just want to make sure I can do everything I can. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheekee View Post
    Will a salary of £28000 Be sufficient ?

That's what I earn as a nurse. I do extra shifts so its a bit more.
    Just on income threshold UKBA require a minimum gross of £18600 for a couple with no children.
    Anything equal to or above that amount will mean that a settlement visa application is compliant for the finance test.
    All other requirements will need to be compliant before a settlement visa can be granted.

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    i think so, the inland revenue use credit reference agencies. as i found out when they asked me about a loan i had for checking my Id.
    HMRC can certainly verify income.
    The basis of the whole new system they recently installed is based on the individual rather than different databases of employers/income sources.

Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    The government rules are so confusing. What exactly do they mean earn income of £18600?
    I have said before in my situation I work in a team that operates 24/7 so I am contracted to work unsociable hours. However the government can argue that my unsociable hours are not guaranteed. Obviously for working weekends I earn more money. On top of this I get mileage allowance. i.e every mile I travel in the community I get fuel allowance. Does this count towards my annual earnings? On top of this I get a monthly car maintenance allowance. (Does this count as part of my income)?. Because of my contract there is no way I can get part time work as I work variable shifts.
    Right Andy, and anyone else it might help - but don't go by my word, I'm not an expert and my vision is pretty clouded by fury on this.

I've been reading and reading the guidance on the UKBA site, and the scenarios, and there are a few ways of meeting this - in fact this is about the only part they have been anything like "fair" - they could have said pure base income and nothing else, but they haven't.

So -

1. - The simplest one - earn £18,600 or more a year before deductions. Simple and it's on your P60.

2. - Earn £18,600 in one tax year, can include overtime, can include a hundred jobs, as long as they add up to a pre tax income of £18,600 in that year - again, it will be on your P60, or you might need to just produce wage slips to add up to this.

3. - Have a shedload of savings over £16,000 to make up the shortfall - anything over £16,000 can be counted as income apparently. Hmmm, weird.

4. - You don't even have to have a year of income, if for the last 6 months your income would lead to a yearly income of £18,600, this will do - so yes, you could work overtime or get a part time job for those 6 months. Seriously, yes it's barmy as overtime isn't guaranteed, but they count it - so lets be thankful there hehe

5. - Another way of having £18,600 a year - if for example you had a P60 showing £17,000, but then in one month you earned £1600 in overtime, well that would be enough - you have earned that amount - submit the relevant wage slips.

As I said, this is what the scenarios state, it's not my interpretation, it's all there.

On the other hand, you do have to have been earning that amount which will add up to £18,600 for the magic 6 months. Doesn't matter if you suddenly get a job paying a thousand pounds a week - you have to have been doing it for 6 months.

Hope this maybe helps someone.

Oh and I'm currently enquiring with my mp if benefits in kind can be counted as income. I'm not expecting a reply soon as she's notoriously slow to reply to things, but I even spoke to her a couple of days ago about it - we can see, but let's not get hopes up too much on that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information