Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

TO marry in the UK or Philippines?

Hi,

I read somewhere that is more advantageous to marry your filipina partner here in the UK suggesting that it shows more commitment.

My G/F and I were trying to get a visitor visa for her to come to the UK whilst her divorce (she got married to a USA guy 4 years ago) comes through, but dear old Border Agency refused it on what I think are daft reasons, one being they dont think she is resident in the Philippines! As her divorce should be done within the next month or so we are now thinking we just skip straight to the fiance visa or spouce visa, she would like a PH wedding, but if this causes doubt again we would marry in UK, we been together 2 years and have met 4 times, I love Davao !
    Thanks in advance and Im glad I found this forum I just spent 4 hours viewing messages

Get married in Phils, its easy and much cheaper. You even get a certificate telling you that you are married... what more proof do you need? (apart from all the requirements of the UKBA )
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Respected Member
    I don't think it makes a great deal of difference, however having a wedding in the Philippines means her family can attend and if any of your friends/family want to come they have more of a chance of affording it.
    Plus a wedding in the Philippines is considerably cheaper, and much easier for her having her family networks and local knowledge to get what she needs to have that dream day.

Trusted Member
    I think flying all the way to the Philippines to get married with no guarantee of getting your bride into the country shows a fair amount of commitment.

Good luck to the two of you anyway.

I got married in the Phils....cos I'm a tight-fisted Yorky.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post

I got married in the Phils....cos I'm a tight-fisted Yorky.

Respected Member
    The problem getting married in Philippines if the relationship not work hard to get divorce so think about it if you get married and still not able get your wife to the uk will you both be happy having a long distance relationship?

Banned
    Getting married in the Philippines means one less visa application fee. With the Fiancee route there is the initial visa fee plus the FLR fee. With the Spouse visa there is just the one initial fee.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zaxy View Post
    The problem getting married in Philippines if the relationship not work hard to get divorce so think about it if you get married and still not able get your wife to the uk will you both be happy having a long distance relationship?
    I admit that this one bothered me. However, if you know that you fulfil all of the requirements then it should be ok.

Works for me, not that my wife 'can't' get here, we just haven't done the visa yet.

Thanks guys for the advice, I do want to get married there as you mention all her family is there and she really wants the PH wedding close to her family, we done 2 years already of internet chat and our skype cams are open 24/7 even through sleep, I saved most of the chats and contact messages that I could find. Thanks again, when my profile gets active I'll put a pic there of me and her

Quote Originally Posted by BazJaz View Post
    Hi,

I read somewhere that is more advantageous to marry your filipina partner here in the UK suggesting that it shows more commitment.

My G/F and I were trying to get a visitor visa for her to come to the UK whilst her divorce (she got married to a USA guy 4 years ago) comes through, but dear old Border Agency refused it on what I think are daft reasons, one being they dont think she is resident in the Philippines! As her divorce should be done within the next month or so we are now thinking we just skip straight to the fiance visa or spouce visa, she would like a PH wedding, but if this causes doubt again we would marry in UK, we been together 2 years and have met 4 times, I love Davao !
    Thanks in advance and Im glad I found this forum I just spent 4 hours viewing messages
    Hi BazJaz, welcome to the forum.

Here's a link that might provide some further food for thought.

Fiance(e) Visa or Spouse Visa? Which is best?

The problem getting married in Philippines if the relationship not work hard to get divorce................
    What makes you think that's a problem?

when my profile gets active I'll put a pic there of me and her
    You can post photos right away, you dont have to wait to be made active. Host your photos on Photobucket and copy and paste the link to the photo. It's easy.

i think recently a couple of fiancee visa's have been refused becuase the ECO was not convinced the applicant would get married b4 thier visa expired, becuase they had not sent evidence of the intended wedding.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Hi,

Hmm ... ... on the contrary ... I'd say it demonstrates a fairly unchallengeable sense of commitment on the bloke's part - the fact that he's prepared to travel to the other side of the world in order to marry his sweetheart - knowing few [if indeed ANY!] of his family and/or friends will be present to lend their support on his BIG DAY. Note I've said "bloke" ... because, in perhaps nine out of ten such cases, it's the man who's a 'westerner' and his bride from South East Asia.

Tbh ... I can't say I'm surprised at your good lady being refused permission to come to the UK as a visitor. Visit Visas are notoriously difficult to obtain at the best of times. And when one of the partners is still [legally] married to another, it adds to the complications - in so far as it gives Embassy officials even more reason to suspect the applicant will fail to adhere to the visa's Terms & Conditions.

Based on the expectations of your partner's divorce being finalised within the next few weeks, you are (as you've correctly surmised) left with two choices - namely, Fiancee Visa or Spousal Visa - and, on balance, I would recommend the latter, as it's

(a) in keeping with your girlfriend's hopes and dreams to be married in her own homeland

and

(b) infinitely more viable economically - as others have already suggested.

Meanwhile, to the filipino/uk forum, Baz & Jaz ... and all the best with your plans.

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Getting married in the Philippines means one less visa application fee. With the Fiancee route there is the initial visa fee plus the FLR fee. With the Spouse visa there is just the one initial fee.
    Correct and on a spouse visa once your wife is here she can take up employment straight away
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

i got married in Phils . It shows commitment by the guy

Banned
    I think that on balance, the advantages of marrying in the Philippines outway the disadvantages.

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    i think recently a couple of fiancee visa's have been refused becuase the ECO was not convinced the applicant would get married b4 thier visa expired, becuase they had not sent evidence of the intended wedding.
    It's not that evidence wasn't supplied its that ECO didn't believe it... Engagement rings, receipts, Statements, New Suits, etc Records of discussions and Photographs.... Are not classed as evidence anymore? I am the sole tenant of a house which has space to hold 5, also isn't big enough for the two of us! They have received the tenancy agreement and letters of approval from the landlord... Still got a refusal.

This is getting crazy. Who is that prat eco officer? It will be interesting to see how many get through with these new rules.

Thread Information