Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Respected Member

British Food - It really is soooo bad.

I was going to reply to the thread about the "60 reasons Britain is great", however I thought this deserved a new one.

Why is British food so awful... Really, why do we serve such garbage. We have some great chefs in the UK in addition to some fantastic cookery shows but then when you go out to eat, it's all garbage unless you eat something none British.

The UK must be one of the easiest places in the world to make money on food, you take any old garbage, deep fry or microwave it, and provide the biggest portions you can find, and everyone is happy.
    I mean why take a perfectly good fish, and deep fry it to destruction, probably to hide the fact it wasn't a good fish in the first place.
    What really annoys me is that places in the UK can't even serve basic food from basic ingredients, I mean if you can't serve chips that are made freshly from potatoes, why even bother. We can make frozen chips at home.

English breakfasts and Sunday Roasts are probably the wierdest food in the world, you can take a combination of random food, over cook it, and throw it all on a plate, in enormeous portions.

Salad, I mean what do we do to a good salad in the UK, we take the worst possible lettuce and murder it, then throw in something random for the garden and then serve it with everything that we can, knowing that no-one will eat it because its awful.

Meat, we have a great habit of destorying the meat. We love our meat to be overcooked until it barely resembles meat, and then cover it in gravy and sauces to hide the fact it's awful.

OK rant over....

Awaiting the incoming......

Banned
    I'll be first Ricky - some of my favourite Brit meals

Haddock, New Potatoes (preferably Jersey Royals), Peas doused in parsley sauce
    Full English Breakfast
    Sunday Roast (beef, turkey or chicken but not pork or lamb) ideally with cauliflower in white sauce
    Cottage Pie, peas & carrots

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    British food tastes so bland...
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post

Haddock, New Potatoes (preferably Jersey Royals), Peas doused in parsley sauce
    Noiw that is a nice meal actually. Not deep fried :-)

Trusted Member
    Thanks for explaining why I NEVER eat out in this country.

I cook my own tasty meals with fresh ingredients and yes, REAL (occasional) potato chips.

I partly attribute my healthy and youthful good looks to this too.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    I was going to reply to the thread about the "60 reasons Britain is great", however I thought this deserved a new one.

Why is British food so awful... Really, why do we serve such garbage. We have some great chefs in the UK in addition to some fantastic cookery shows but then when you go out to eat, it's all garbage unless you eat something none British.

The UK must be one of the easiest places in the world to make money on food, you take any old garbage, deep fry or microwave it, and provide the biggest portions you can find, and everyone is happy.
    I mean why take a perfectly good fish, and deep fry it to destruction, probably to hide the fact it wasn't a good fish in the first place.
    What really annoys me is that places in the UK can't even serve basic food from basic ingredients, I mean if you can't serve chips that are made freshly from potatoes, why even bother. We can make frozen chips at home.

English breakfasts and Sunday Roasts are probably the wierdest food in the world, you can take a combination of random food, over cook it, and throw it all on a plate, in enormeous portions.

Salad, I mean what do we do to a good salad in the UK, we take the worst possible lettuce and murder it, then throw in something random for the garden and then serve it with everything that we can, knowing that no-one will eat it because its awful.

Meat, we have a great habit of destorying the meat. We love our meat to be overcooked until it barely resembles meat, and then cover it in gravy and sauces to hide the fact it's awful.

OK rant over....

Awaiting the incoming......
    Well said!....I agree
    Eating out in this country is the most dissapointing experience ever!
    I much prefer Filipino foods and have been eating them ever since my wife arrived here.....including dried fish!

i deeply love my own food either pinoy or english i make sure it taste right to my own preference of course

A place for everything, everything in its place.

anything but the balot!!!!! i must agree that our food is quite bland but you definitely cant say a sunday roast is bad if its cooked well! but i do find myself mainly cooking food with an Asian influence wether it be indian, chinese or even pinoy!

I like Traditional Sunday lunch

Except for some of the frozen rubbish thingy
    Thats why I always try to fix our menu, Filipino foods twice a week, Italian foods once a week and the rest of the week English foods My husband said the proper meal for him is English foods, sigh

Banned
    British food tastes great IF it is cooked properly with the right ingredients. And no need to compromise on health either.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by juvyjones28 View Post
    I like Traditional Sunday lunch

Except for some of the frozen rubbish thingy
    Thats why I always try to fix our menu, Filipino foods twice a week, Italian foods once a week and the rest of the week English foods My husband said the proper meal for him is English foods, sigh
    Exactly. The traditional sunday roast. Great if it is cooked well with the right ingredients and bland if it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    British food tastes so bland...
    not if you cover it in ketchup

misses covers her food with soya sauce
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

... I disagree! British food remains, for me, the most palatable to be found ANYWHERE.

Okay ... it may not be the healthiest food on the planet ... ... but - in my experience - it's certainly the tastiest!

Luverly grub! And at least you know what you're eating!

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur
    Luverly grub! And at least you know what you're eating!
    Eh ?

What about Haggis ?

As for it being "bland"? ... DEFINITELY not!

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Eh ?

What about Haggis ?
    Ah ... now you've "caught me out" there, Graham! ...

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Ah ... now you've "caught me out" there, Graham! ...
    ... even I'm not 100 percent privy to the ingredients in haggis!

Trusted Member
    Don't ask.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Eh ?

What about Haggis ?
    I like Haggis!
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Respected Member melovesengland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    British food tastes great IF it is cooked properly with the right ingredients. And no need to compromise on health either.

Respected Member melovesengland's Avatar
    We got our own taste when it comes to food and I, as a Filipina do love British Food very much! Maybe because my Fiance's mother cooked traditional English food every day for our dinner and the family took me to those traditional pubs round Lincolnshire and neighboring countys when I was there last year. FOOD also is one of the reasons why I am coming back.

I don't know why I just soooo love you food, sounds funny but true! You have different taste and way of cooking which amazes me much. Also, I love GRAVY specially bisto best beef gravy its just so lovely! I love doner kebab, lamb chops, steak and Sunday dinners. I do miss and crave for Filipino food, we always end in a Chinese take away in the village but not as good as our homemade foods but can cure my cravings.

Trusted Member
    Better watch your waistline.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lordna View Post
    Well said!....I agree
    Eating out in this country is the most dissapointing experience ever!
    I much prefer Filipino foods and have been eating them ever since my wife arrived here.....including dried fish!
    Me, likewise .....the only bread in the house is Jane's brioche...I dont touch the stuff only when feeding the ducks

Rice and fish are our staples.

Also noticed a drop in my blood pressure..its now normal...the pharmacies are having less trade from me as well...no more heartburn and other dietary ailments.

Im sure there's some sort of conspiracy going on about killing of the western population, toot sweet!

I ask you, does it make sense that the north of England has a lower life expectancy than Manila.

Not only should fags have the skull and crossbones on them, so should most of the empty caloried junk on our supermarket shelves.

British food, maybe it's because most of us are from UK, that our experience is often of parents or friends who frankly would struggle with the recipe for ice. We also have a lazy culture, where "oh how can our grandparents have had time to cook a roast - and we want it NOW.

I nearly cried (ok exaggeration, but you know what I mean) when I first saw that advert for McCain microwave jacket potatoes.

Get it right though, or learn to cook.....

Steak should be cooked so a good vet could get it back on it's feet. Vegetables - you do not boil them to oblivion, even better if they are steamed. Sauces with meat - well why not if you want. Ketchup belongs in a certain episode of The Goodies.

I can cook incredible curries if we want to go down that route.

Oh and as for deep fried fish, well try coming to Yorkshire, you'll find thick fresh wet haddock used, not like that disgusting thick batter with a piece of dried up tadpole in the middle they used to dish out in schools. Has to be with mushy peas though.

It's only really bland if either

a - you cook it wrong

b - you're some Indian who likes smothering everything in garam masala

Oh if I ever cook a curry, and someone asks me for a bottle of soy sauce to smother all over my delicate spiced rice, then I won't be responsible for my actions Yes this has actually happened

Quote Originally Posted by melovesengland View Post
    We got our own taste when it comes to food and I, as a Filipina do love British Food very much! Maybe because my Fiance's mother cooked traditional English food every day for our dinner and the family took me to those traditional pubs round Lincolnshire and neighboring countys when I was there last year. FOOD also is one of the reasons why I am coming back.

I don't know why I just soooo love you food, sounds funny but true! You have different taste and way of cooking which amazes me much. Also, I love GRAVY specially bisto best beef gravy its just so lovely! I love doner kebab, lamb chops, steak and Sunday dinners. I do miss and crave for Filipino food, we always end in a Chinese take away in the village but not as good as our homemade foods but can cure my cravings.
    im not surprise you still as sexy as me melovesnengland..
    wait until you live here for few years and you will love the food you most love baCk when you are in PH

Better watch your waistline.
    waistline is so easy to decrease it

Trusted Member
    Not on a lot of the little wobbly-bottomed Filipinas I see here in the UK after a few years residence.

Sadly the junk food diet seems to be taking over in the Phils too now, for those who can afford to buy the Western-style saturated fat laden muck.

The Americans in particular have a lot to answer for.

Banned
    Not on a lot of the little wobbly-bottom Filipinas I see here.

Sadly the junk food diet seems to be taking over in the Phils too now, for those who can afford to buy the Western-style saturated fat laden muck.

The Americans in particular have a lot to answer for
    I agree.

Banned
    I expect the wibble wobblies have been despatched back to the phil and traded in for newer models.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    I expect the wibble wobblies have been despatched back to the phil and traded in for newer models.
    What a thing to say !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information