Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Two quick visa questions about spouse and fiance visas - sorry I'm sure it's obvious

Hi

Sorry to be asking this, I'm sure it's been discussed before (but I've searched and gone near crosseyed trying to find it)

So -

Regarding the fiance visa, can you apply for one of these, planning to get married in the UK, but later change your mind and get married abroad instead?
    It's just we haven't decided yet.
    Maybe if you did this, UKBA would take a dim view of it?

The other question -

Can you apply in advance for a spouse visa (ie before you get married) and if so how long in advance?

Thanks again

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Iani View Post
    Can you apply in advance for a spouse visa (ie before you get married) and if so how long in advance?
    Spouse Visa : Problem there is you need to submit your marriage certificate as part of your application.

Thanks, well that was a bit obvious come to think about it

Hi

Sorry to be asking this, I'm sure it's been discussed before (but I've searched and gone near crosseyed trying to find it)

So -

Regarding the fiance visa, can you apply for one of these, planning to get married in the UK, but later change your mind and get married abroad instead?
    It's just we haven't decided yet.
    Maybe if you did this, UKBA would take a dim view of it?

The other question -

Thanks again
    I may not understand what you're getting at, but here's my two cents worth anyway.
    The Fiancee Visa is actually a multiple entry visa. Your Fiancee could apply the visa and technically get married anywhere in the world you both choose too just as long as she returns to UK and makes FLR (spouse) application within the 6 months validity of the Fiancee Visa.

Does that help your thinking?

Thanks Terpe

What I was meaning was - if we applied for a fiance visa, does that mean we MUST get married in the uk, or could we change our minds after it's granted and get married somewhere else - say Phils to be obvious, since she's Filipena, then come back and apply for the FLR.

It's only that we haven't decided yet, but this seemed one way of hedging the bets. Wouldn't want to annoy UKBA though - although logically I don't really see why they'd frankly care, but hey, that's me.

Thanks again

Thanks Terpe

What I was meaning was - if we applied for a fiance visa, does that mean we MUST get married in the uk, or could we change our minds after it's granted and get married somewhere else - say Phils to be obvious, since she's Filipena, then come back and apply for the FLR.

It's only that we haven't decided yet, but this seemed one way of hedging the bets. Wouldn't want to annoy UKBA though - although logically I don't really see why they'd frankly care, but hey, that's me.

Thanks again
    UKBA do not stipulate (or care) where you actually get married, only that you apply for the FLR before the Fiancee visa expires.
    I have known couples get married in France/Ireland and USA without any issues.
    Fancy an Elvis wedding in Vegas?

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    UKBA do not stipulate (or care) where you actually get married, only that you apply for the FLR before the Fiancee visa expires.
    Well thank ya very much, the reception is round the back, where there are banana peanut butter pies for ya all

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    wouldnt the bride to be need a visa to enter any of those countries too?

Quote Originally Posted by irishman12 View Post
    wouldnt the bride to be need a visa to enter any of those countries too?
    Yep. (BTW don't ask me how they managed it)
    But visa is not needed to return to Phils

There are lots of other countries where a visa is not needed, but I never personally heard of anyone getting married there.
    Although there was a member here who was planning a Maldives wedding.

Thread Information