Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Our Fiancee Visa Checklist

The DHL Box from Brian arrived last Wednesday, meaning, the documents that we need for my Fiancée Visa application are ready.

After 6, almost 7 months of preparation, I will be turning over this stack of papers that I have collected over time to VFS. To say that we have a lot of documents compiled is an understatement but we did this our way.

For those who are new to this forum, you may want to read the post, http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....ce%28e%29-Visa by Terpe, a helpful guide which I used as reference.

Now, before anything else, here are a few reminders:
    1) It is our duty as the Applicant to satisfy the UKBA Entry Clearance Officer (ECO) that we should be given a visa.
    2) There is no definition of who is granted a Fiancé/Fiancée Visa aside from the general requirements stated at the UKBA website and the Filipino-UK forums like this.
    3) As each case is unique, not completing a checklist does not necessarily result in a denied request in the same manner that a completed list does not guarantee an approved application.

Prior to visiting the UKBA Website and looking into this forum, Brian and I strongly considered processing my application with a UK immigration firm or an agency. Like all newbies, we were completely clueless. I enquired at different visa assistance agencies in Cebu and in Manila but have been told the same thing: “You need a current passport, your original birth certificate and other supporting documents.”

After sending my initial email to VFS asking for the application process, I felt confident I can do what is required of me (if I make it a full time job) with the support of my smart and pragmatic Fiancé.

I am very proud to say that between his daily, hard Martial Art regimens, his current Social Policy course with the OU; his PhD proposal quiet moments, our business experiments and wedding preparations, Brian has given me 100% full support in everything. I cannot ask for more.

Here’s a summary of what we have. Please let us know if there is anything we missed. It’s quite hard to tell when you’re excited and nervous at the same time; all the time.

APPLICANT

Passport Photograph
    Current Passport
    NSO Birth Certificate with Receipt

TOEIC Results from Hopkins Intl. Partners Makati
    Listening and Reading Score: 925
    Speaking Score: 190

Certificate of Compensation (Payment / Tax Withheld) 2010
    Certificate of Employment - Eperformax Contact Centers& BPO 2007-2010

Letter from the Applicant

Other Supporting Documents
    - Baptismal Certificate
    - NBI Clearance for Local Employment and Travel Abroad with Receipts
    - Old School IDs from Kong Hua School and Xavier University
    - Official Transcript of Record from Xavier University
    (BSc Psychology 1999-2005)
    - Social Security System (SSS) Employee Static Information
    - Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) ID
    - CENOMAR with Receipt

SPONSOR

Passport Photograph
    Notarized Current Passport Copy and Copy of Stamped Page
    Notarized Previous Passport Copy
    Notarized Birth Certificate Copy

Letter from the Sponsor (a 12 - page summary with his profile, supporting the application with the explanation of financial stability, grounds of relationship, intent to marry; live together permanently and future plans)

For Sponsor’s IS and DLA Letters, Passbook, Bank Statements and other Supporting Financial Documents, Please see Evidence of Maintenance (Funds)

CO – SPONSORS

Notarized Passport Copy
    Notarized P60Copies
    Original Recent Statement
    Scanned Copy Credit Union Passbook
    Letter of Support from the Co – Sponsor, Brendan

Notarized Passport Copy
    State Pension Letter
    Original Recent Statements
    Scanned Copy of Credit Union Passbook
    Letter of Support from the Co – Sponsor, Frances

ACCOMODATION

Annual HE Letters
    Tenancy Agreement
    Letter of Permission from the Landlord, Ian Smyth
    BT Telephone and Internet Bills

Please see Gallery for Photos of the Property

EVIDENCE OF MAINTENANCE (FUNDS)– Sponsor

Most Recent IS Letter (April 2012)
    Most Recent DLA Letter (April 2012)
    Original Quarterly Bank of Ireland Statements
    Fuel Allowance Letter
    Open University Course Fee Award Letter
    Open University Internet Allowance
    Scanned Strabane Credit Union Ltd. Passbook
    Letter Confirming Funds from Strabane Credit Union Limited

Other Financial Asset Documents
    - Premium Bonds Certificate of Investment
    - HALIFAX ShareBuilder Documents
    (Fiancée Visa Application Form (VAF4 OCT 2011) states: 8.7.12 Does your sponsor have any savings, property or other income, for example, from stocks and shares?)

Original Western Union and WorldRemit Sender and Receiver Receipts

EVIDENCE OF MAINTENANCE (EMPLOYABILITY) – Applicant and Sponsor

Applicant

Official Transcript of Record from Xavier University
    BSc Psychology 1999 – 2005

SSS Employment History (2001-2011)

Certificate of Employment (2007- 2010)
    Company:Eperformax Contact Centers& BPO (2007-2010) for
    Washington Mutual Bank now JP Morgan Chase Bank
    Position: Bank Customer Service Representative 2007- 2009
    : Financial Advisor 2009 - 2010

Letter from Previous Flower Shop and Events Manager (2010 – 2011)
    Company: Precious Blooms and Concepts Unlimited
    Position: Assistant Manager/ Florist/ Event Organiser

Letter from Previous Team Lead (2011)
    Company: LWS Media for PetCareRx
    Position: Veterinary Consultant/ Sales Representative

Screenshot of Events Page – http://www.noreeneunice.blogspot.com/p/weddings.html

Note: My TOEIC results are higher than the required scores for me to get employed when my Visa allows and if I will need to work when in the UK. The test results are valid for two years until March 2014.

Sponsor

Latest Tutor Marked Assignment (TMA) for the Open University DD305 Social Policy Course
    And Tutor Comments

Academic Records

The Open University Statement of Academic Record (2006- Present)
    -Exploring Psychology 2006
    -Digital Photography 2007
    -Making Social Worlds 2008
    -A World of whose making 2009
    -Living Political Ideas 2009 Distinction
    -Personal Lives and Social Policy - Current

The Open University Cert Cont Sci 2011

University of Oxford 2010
    -Political Philosophy September 2010
    -Ritual and Religion September 2010
    -New Economic Powers January 2010

Rusland College 2008
    Diploma in Psychiatric Studies March 2008

Scottish Qualifications Authority 2006
    Higher National Diploma in Computing: Support

Perth College- NC Office Skills and Technology

Brian is preparing for a PhD proposal very soon. I will also be studying business related courses and web design possibly when in the UK so I can continue with my Wedding and Event Planning business (when my Visa allows). With all these qualifications and achievements, both of us are highly employable if we will need to in the future.

PROOF OF RELATIONSHIP

Chat Samples – Yahoo Messenger and Google Talk (March 2011 - Present)
    Email Logs and Samples – Yahoo and Google Mail (March 2011 – Present)
    Emails between the Applicant and Patrick McNulty, Brian’s dad

Handwritten Letter from Eugene and Corazon Enerio, my parents
    Handwritten Letter from Patrick McNulty, Brian’s dad

June and October Visit Documents
    -Boat tickets to Cagayan de Oro City to meet my family
    -Flight Itineraries
    -Hotel Bookings
    - Boat tickets to Camotes Island

Greeting Cards from Brian and his family
    -Birthday Cards
    -Christmas Cards and Christmas Gift Tags
    -Valentine’s Card from Brian
    - St. Patricks Day Cards
    -Easter Cards

Gifts – if we talk about men in Northern Ireland who belongs to Brian’s generation, Brian is considered expressive and thoughtful! There have been too many gifts during the past 14 months from Brian and also from his family. I am so lucky to have them. The first gift Brian gave me is a lovely pair of gold earrings we got in Cagayan then a rose gold heart and butterfly necklace he bought at Duty Free Qatar after his October visit here.

Please see Gallery for Photos

PROOF OF INTENT TO MARRY

I am a Wedding Planner/ Florist so I am very confident that we will have a nice wedding and to top that, I am blessed with a super loving Fiancé who is so into our wedding as me! Brian has given so much thought on my wedding dress as I did and he got stressed over my bridal shoes too when the first project failed. It is not as easy as I imagined because this is my first ‘Everything Custom Made‘ wedding project.

Although we are far apart, we have been successful in preparing for our wedding. It will be so much nicer when I get to see the venue so I can start planning the interior decorations. So, please give me a Visa. We cannot even have the Handmade Wedding Invites that we want because we do not have a final wedding date yet. Obviously, that is dependent on the day you will give me an Entry Clearance to be with my groom!

Currently our Wedding Folder contains the following:

Booking Confirmation Letter from Strabane District Registrar (22 February 2012)
    Advance Provisional Booking from Strabane District Registrar (22 February 2012)

8-10 August 2011 Chats about initial wedding plans
    Emails and Chats regarding wedding plans (August 2011- Present)
    Emails enquiring with various wedding vendors (February 2012 – Present)
    Screenshots of our Wedding Website, Inspiration Board and Sacred Unity Symbols

A Print Out of our Wedding Checklist from the Getting Married in Northern Ireland Website

Hotel Quotations
    The Waterfoot Hotel and The Belfray Inn Country Hotel, both in Londonderry, NI
    We have not decided on the food yet.

Wedding Rings
    Quotations from Suarez Brothers Wedding Rings
    Quotations from Gardiner Brothers Ltd.

Bridal Dress, Groom’s Suit and Wedding Accessories
    Dress and Suit Inspiration found online
    Custom Made Dress and Suit Quotation
    Custom Made Wedding Accessories List from Cameron’s
    Final Dress Details Email
    Dress Sketches from Alma
    My measurement form emailed
    Brian’s measurement form emailed
    Dress down payment receipt to follow

Wedding Shoes
    Christian Louboutin Shoe Design and Inspiration from the movie Burlesque (March 2012)
    Emails with various Custom Shoemakers
    Shoe Sample Photos
    Order Agreement Form – design and materials finalised
    Shoe Sketch from ShoesandSenses
    Shoe down payment receipt
    -Brian’s Shoes will be custom made for him too.

Wedding Flowers
    Emails to Floral Land and Photos of flowers

Wedding Cake and Cupcakes
    We have sent email enquiries to some NI bakers. We want a simple 3-tier square cake with butterflies and our wedding symbols.

Wedding Invitations
    Almost everything that we have seen online are very common designs so we will be purchasing our own wedding invite template.

Other Wedding Needs
    Emails re Wedding Accessories
    We will get our Guest Book, Pen Holder, Cake Slicer and Server and Wedding Favours from Little Things Favors in NJ, USA.

EVIDENCE OF INTENT TO LIVE TOGETHER PERMANENTLY

“Fame Imperishable and Glory that will never die--that is what we march for!” Steven Pressfield

We have been discussing this since June 2011. This part is explained further in my cover letter. We have glorious dreams not just for the two of us and Our immediate family for the families of their families too ; the next generation, hoping we can live longer to witness our children become elites, happy and successful in everything.

Chats and Emails discussing things to purchase for the our Home and home plans

Preparing for Baby July, Child Rearing, Education, Martial Arts, Sports, Music, Books and Travel

We are hoping for a baby boy. We will name him Julius Leonidas Gabriel Apollo from Julius Caesar, King Leonidas of our Family Book, Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield, Archangel Gabriel and the god Apollo, the far darter.

If it will be a baby girl, we will call her Lady July. Her name will be Julia Isis Inanna Arete. Julia is the feminine form of Julius. Isis and Inanna are goddesses of fertility and war and Lady Arete is a strong, cunning woman of Sparta from Gates of Fire.

Business Emails and Correspondences

We have been experimenting and researching on different business interests that we would like to do when my Visa allows me.

PHOTO GALLERY
    - All the Photos are here.

Noreen Eunice Enerio soon to be Mrs.McNulty
    http://www.noreeneunice.blogspot.com/

so much for interrupting your hectic schedule ... in order to help other applicants.

Noreen, might be a bit too much information, they only want to know your relationship is genunie and that you have met, that he can support you without recourse to public funds and you will have to somewhere to live without being overcrowded.

i'm not sure they will accept all that and some of the information you need to supply a copy of.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    I believe there is an optimal amount of evidence necessary to acquire a Spouse or Fiancee visa. Where exactly that optimum lays is debatable, but there is one there somewhere.

I do recall quizzing my adviser on many things in relation to my wife's spouse visa application and in many instances she simply said "well you can submit this that and the other, but it wont add any further weight to your case".

Having said that, there appears to be some feeling that the level of scrutiny is getting higher these days, so maybe it is indeed better to submit more evidence than we have been accustomed to in the past.......

Personally I feel that "more than enough information" is a good thing provided the information doesn't open up potential weakness.
    In this case I doubt that it does.

The ECO's decide themselves on what and how much they will review. They need to tick their boxes and they also need to meet their targets.

Better too much than not quite enough I say.

Good luck for a speedy and positive outcome Brian and Noreen
    And a big well done for working so hard together on the application.

Banned
    Whilst it might not add any weight to the case, it may well add weight to the parcel. In our case my wife is 4ft 10" high and had a 2.5 hour journey so I felt that needed to be taken into consideration too.

Our parcel weighed 3 kilograms when it left the UK. Then my wife's documents had to be added, plus photocopies......she had to get 1 tricycle ride, 2 jeepney rides, 1 bus and 1 MRT to jump on and off of to get to VFS......phew!

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Whilst it might not add any weight to the case, it may well add weight to the parcel. In our case my wife is 4ft 10" high and had a 2.5 hour journey so I felt that needed to be taken into consideration too.

Our parcel weighed 3 kilograms when it left the UK. Then my wife's documents had to be added, plus photocopies......she had to get 1 tricycle ride, 2 jeepney rides, 1 bus and 1 MRT to jump on and off of to get to VFS......phew!
    Now that is a good point I hadn't even considered.

also the way things are going with refusals, at any appeal you might not be able to submit new evidence that was available at the time you made the application. so its always good to submit more information but not things your not asked to submit.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Thanks everyone.

We put our 'case' together - and as I'm on benefits, and a mature student, I felt we had to go the extra mile and justify ourselves. As you all know the ECO thinks of it on a case by case basis - and this is our entire story, with all the relevant docs interwoven to tell our tale 'as is', so that no doubts or confusions are left in his mind. A couple of you said more is better - particularly these days. We didn't really provide anything unnecessary - everything supports the core document and core requirements. Our aim is to leave the ECO in a situation where there is no reasonable case for doubt on any grounds [res ipsa loquitur!!!].

We noticed a few people have been abused by the UKBA and would be denied on the pettiest grounds - and one petty reason to refuse, would have the ECO go on a rampage and find 1001 other false accusations to go along with his nitpicking. Most people I feel don't challenge this abuse adequately and it really is something that needs to be taken to task.

We proivded our somewhat comprehensive list here for future newbies, so that nobody gets shot down due to lack of information. Bear in mind - the information provided by UKBA is deliberately very vague - and we spend time together, me especially, teasing apart all the permutations and possible meanings of the UKBA requirements as best we can.

We weren't impressed by the agencies we contacted - we felt they did not provide, or even have or understand much more than we initially did, information that extended much beyond the UKBA site. Hence we did this ourselves. Incidentally - I [Brian] consider it as a matter of concern that the visa application form asks whether you used an agency - we cannot see offhand how this should affect a decision [really it only prejudiced a case]. Again - the agencies really didn't seem to be very focused or comprehensive in their practices at all - which could result in unwarranted denials.

So I hope what we posted here, is of help to everyone else.

One more thing - we don't know exactly how much or how little is best, nobody does here. There is no strong point in debating this unless we somehow got some kind of evidence or information from UKBA itself - which I feel they reasonably should provide. This is also related to the issue of giving too much info or should not give info not asked to submit [suggested by JoeBloggs]. This is a bit of a moot Joe. I understand we live in a very unpleasant world where the state can demand too much information from us. But just what information are we asked 'not to submit'? I have not seen a list for this. All there is - from UKBA - is a vague list and some vague information, and we have to work on this on a case basis, in an adversarial setting - which means, pertinent to an individuals unique case - there is no real information not asked to submit. Some things are obvious of course - such as the colour of ones socks or whatever. But we haven't quite done that, I think

Thanks for the thumbs up Terpe!

Brian

Banned
    I honestly understand your strategy, Brian and Noreen. (Interesting that you applied as a mature student BTW . I am in the distance learning game but on the flip side). And I take your point that things may well be getting tougher which means that applicants will need to "up their game", maybe, now and in the future. But to give you a for instance, I basically exercised a choice when it came to proving my identity and nationality etc as a sponsor....

Either..

a] submit a notarised copy of my passport or

b] submit my birth certificate

I elected to submit my birth certificate as it saved me some money on notarisation fees. Surely it isn't necessary to submit both when clearly one will suffice? The reason I post as such is not to nit pick with your application and it is clear you have put in a lot of effort, but to clarify for myself and others what is sufficient for settlement visa applicants and indeed ILR applicants ( if one needs to up ones game for settlement visas then maybe for ILR too? )

Should the above checklist be taken as the new standard by which to go by, for future applicants?

fair point Brian, your right each is judged on a case by case basis, and by different ECO's who use their own discretion, as I said before you only need to prove you met, your relationship is genuine, you can support her without recourse to public funds and you have somewhere for her to live without it being overcrowded.

anyway i wish you good luck

No, this is not the new standard checklist for future applicants. This is just another Applicant's checklist. As stated earlier, we are giving this list which we have worked so hard for- for free to help those who have other things to spend P70,000.00php for,other than paying 'assistance agencies' who never assisted me.

There is no point in stating our cause twice To each his own. Thank you to everyone for everything in this forum.

Noreen

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    I honestly understand your strategy, Brian and Noreen. (Interesting that you applied as a mature student BTW . I am in the distance learning game but on the flip side). And I take your point that things may well be getting tougher which means that applicants will need to "up their game", maybe, now and in the future. But to give you a for instance, I basically exercised a choice when it came to proving my identity and nationality etc as a sponsor....

Either..

a] submit a notarised copy of my passport or

b] submit my birth certificate

I elected to submit my birth certificate as it saved me some money on notarisation fees. Surely it isn't necessary to submit both when clearly one will suffice? The reason I post as such is not to nit pick with your application and it is clear you have put in a lot of effort, but to clarify for myself and others what is sufficient for settlement visa applicants and indeed ILR applicants ( if one needs to up ones game for settlement visas then maybe for ILR too? )

Should the above checklist be taken as the new standard by which to go by, for future applicants?

You're right on the point you make here Lastlid - yes you could exercise your choice if you wish, and after all if it's notarised by a lawyer, it's bona fide. If UKBA rejects you on the grounds of the notarised copy or lack of ID's - you've got a case.

But I'd strongly recommend upping the game - certainly under current circumstances.

Because I'm far from rich - I've got to give the ECO no grounds whatsoever to nitpick or make false assumptions [which they love to do if they can get away with it].

I would treat this list we provided as a very comprehensive one - but it's up to the individual if they want to go as far as we have done. And for anyone who chooses to do so - we have now mapped the territory - so I hope it helps!.

Thanks all!

Brian

Edit - re the ILR, I doubt the same 'overkill' would be needed as you provided all the evidence already for the fiance visa! For settlement visa - I'd probably say give it some extra oomph as I've done. For example, Noreens sister would like to visit for the wedding - so we're now looking at the family visitor visa and considering all that would be required - we're not leaving things to chance, why risk losing 5616php any more than 59k php?

Well, let's hope we get this fiance visa in the meantime - otherwise we'll be making posts about our legal fight!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BriaNoreen View Post
    You're right on the point you make here Lastlid - yes you could exercise your choice if you wish, and after all if it's notarised by a lawyer, it's bona fide. If UKBA rejects you on the grounds of the notarised copy or lack of ID's - you've got a case.

But I'd strongly recommend upping the game - certainly under current circumstances.

Because I'm far from rich - I've got to give the ECO no grounds whatsoever to nitpick or make false assumptions [which they love to do if they can get away with it].

I would treat this list we provided as a very comprehensive one - but it's up to the individual if they want to go as far as we have done. And for anyone who chooses to do so - we have now mapped the territory - so I hope it helps!.

Thanks all!

Brian

Edit - re the ILR, I doubt the same 'overkill' would be needed as you provided all the evidence already for the fiance visa! For settlement visa - I'd probably say give it some extra oomph as I've done. For example, Noreens sister would like to visit for the wedding - so we're now looking at the family visitor visa and considering all that would be required - we're not leaving things to chance, why risk losing 5616php any more than 59k php?

Well, let's hope we get this fiance visa in the meantime - otherwise we'll be making posts about our legal fight!

Respected Member
    Brian, I am so happy that she got the visa and you two can live a happy life together, you found your soul mate and I am so happy you can be together.

I wanted to ask you my Fiance has applied for a Fiance Visa and we are just waiting to find out the results, so while waiting I was looking for others who were in a similar position to me in terms of being on benefits etc who were successful in sponsoring their Fiance/Spouse. Do you mind if I asked you if you had 3rd party support? and how much you had in a current account?

This is mine

£3914.56 in a Current account
    £3915.61 in Cash ISA (but dont think they will accept it as its an ISA)
    £1,257 Fiance has in her current account
    I receive 105 per week Contribution based ESA
    We will live with my parents, no rent to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowcloud View Post
    This is mine

from that yellowcloud i would have thought you should be ok, but i'm not the one reviewing your app

but all the best and hope its good news soon

Respected Member
    Thanks Joe, the people on this board are true and genuine people and really helpful and decent. I dont know where I would have been without everyone's help. I honestly dont know if I have ever experienced such stress. All my life, for years and years...well I am in my 30's have never met the right person and when you know you have that once chance to be with your soul mate and its in the hands of an Administrator and yuor future is in his hands there's only so much stress and waiting you can take. It will be 5 weeks on Wednesday and its starting to get very stressful waiting so people on here have been very supportive!!! I just was looking to find someone who had sponsored their fiance/spouse who was also on benefits and didnt have 3rd party support who was successful which would give me alot of hope in this dark time.

many of us have been there, some people were lucky they got their visa in a few days, many in a few weeks, some of us months and a few unlucky ones were refused, but not many gave up, the vast majority got to be together in the end.

Respected Member
    This is mine

I'm having a panic attack as I just realized that the date on my ISA statement was April 13th and the application date was June 6th :( Which is 7 weeks from the date of the last statement to the date of application. But the thing is that I couldn't get another statement as that was my last one I had, as ISA Statements are only issued 3 a year. My current account statements and my Fiances were all within 1 month of the application date though. Does that mean my ISA funds will not be considered now?

Also, my Fiance submitted her bank statements, but are her funds allowed in the application or only mine as the sponsor?

Hope someone can help?.

Hello yellowcloud - apologies for delayed reply, Noreen and I have been busy settling in together since she arrived.

Your savings figures are excellent and it helps that you have no rent to pay. Two key points of concern:

You live with your parents - you will have to prove the home you share with your parents has adequate space to house your fiancee, particularly that you together or she alone will have a private bedroom space [consider how UK housing law insists upon segregation of sexes, for example brothers and sisters have the right to separate rooms in council accomodation]. So highlight that you and your parents can house her adequately - and give pictures of the living and sleeping space.

Second - your savings are good, however offhand if I recall, the minimum amount the law says a cohabiting couple needs to live on is around £131 per week, or 65 per individual. Therefore your 105 ESA will be noted against you.

I strongly recommend you show that your parents will sponsor you as a couple, and will top up your income as needed, on a weekly basis, to the minimum [let's just say] 135gbp - aside from your savings. This clears the fiscal hurdle from the legal aspect.

Although the UKBA claims to ignore ISA's etc, Noreen and I noted somewhere on the UKBA site [can't remember offhand] that they do observe your savings, but won't formally account them. Still mention and show your ISA - throw the book at them! The application form checklist itself asks if you have savings such as shares, ISA's etc.

It helps your fiancee has money in her account - however I do NOT recommend that she puts on her app form that she will be paying her way in the UK, as 1257 will not go far. On the app form, your fiancee should not be paying any of her own costs - as this is very unrealistic - and instead shall be dependent on you and your parents and proof of this [available family funds] must be given.

Hope this helps!

Respected Member
    Thanks noren,

FAO Brian & Noreen

Please see my response on 'Sticky': Timeline: ILR/FLR/Settlement Spouse/Fiancee Visa' thread ... where there's also an explanation as to why I could not reply to your message on my profile.

Thread Information