Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Respected Member South-east boy's Avatar

Question Best seat positions on planes?

Right, I'm flying on Thursday with Cathay Pacific and I can choose my seats from 12.30 mid-day onwards on Tuesday. The last time I flew was over 30 years ago, so I don't know much about which areas are good or bad for seating!

I was hoping to choose a seat at the front of a block so would be able to stretch my legs out a bit more if needed and also could get a window seat and not have to squeeze past neighbouring passengers. But do those seats at the front of blocks always have an extra charge for more leg-room? If so, then I'll probably go for an aisle seat and have a window sat on the 2nd plane from Hong Kong to Manila as that is only a short flight.

Can I also choose the seat on the 2nd plane from Hong Kong to Manila at the same time as the 1st plane? Or do I have to wait until 48 hours before that plane flies?

Is any area of the plane noiser or quieter if it's in front of or behind the engines/wings? What areas are not so good in your experience?

Which areas would be a good area to sit on these planes?

This is the seat map on my first plane:
    http://www.seatplans.com/files/Seat-...NewProduct.jpg

and this is the seat map on my 2nd plane:
    http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Cat...Dest=MNL&Date=

Thanks for any help!

Banned
    I always go for an aisle seat on longhaul flights as I like to get up regularly and have a walk around etc etc. Being just over 6ft I too try and get a seat with extra legroom. Sometimes it can be at the exits or at the front of a block like you said. No extra charge in either case.

I too always grab an aisle for the very same reason as lastlid. Also much easier to pop to the CR whenever.

If you can get a seat near an emergency exit there is extra-leg room, some airlines may charge a little extra.

The ones at the front of a block often get used for those with small children/babies as a cot can be used on the bulkhead wall. So yes there may be extra leg room, but there may also be some "baby disturbance".

We all have our own preferences for different reasons.

Banned
    When we went on Cathay I had a centre aisle seat row 33ish - near to the galley to keep getting more beer and pot noodles

Trusted Member
    The strongest part of the plane is over the wings....if you crash.

take a look at this website page, hopefully u will be able to make a good choice if the best seats are still available:-

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Cat..._747-400_B.php

Malcolm

i always try and get the back two seats and near to the window too, gives you lots more room and you may get no one next to you also,

Quote Originally Posted by malchard888 View Post
    take a look at this website page, hopefully u will be able to make a good choice if the best seats are still available:-

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Cat..._747-400_B.php

Malcolm
    great web page Malcolm

as there was 4 of us, we reserved 2 sets of seats in rows 67 and 68, so we could have an aisle seat or have a window seat
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

once you have done your booking online you dont have to print off your details, just have the number with you, just go straight to online cheaking at the airport , no queues, and enjoy no stress, also make sure you do the online booking for your return trip, we did ours on the mobile phone and just got to the airport with out any print offs, straight to the online cheaking desk and no queues again, life is good sometimes

Thank you Graham!!

Well I would always suggest an aisle seat, so you can have a walk around, and if you need the toilets, you aren't asking people to move.
    However........something else to consider is how long your flight is, and at what time. If you get a window seat, you can more likely position yourself into a decent sleeping position. Even better of course if the flight isn't full and you can get a couple of seats to yourself, but this is very hit and miss as to when it happens.

Yes babies, it must be one of those laws of physics that every long haul night flight has to have a baby on it They don't bother me personally THAT much, but to some people......well that's an entirely different thread, let's not go there.

Now if you are bothered by turbulence, then the most stable area is near the wings. The rear of the plane can by comparison be like a big dipper. I actually put this to the test on a bumpy flight once, walking to the end and there is definitely a difference, more of a wobble at the rear (sounds like a dodgy curry aftermath that)

I've never been able to choose a seat near a block end with the extra leg room, and suspect the airlines sell these at a premium, but I'm not that tall anyway, so it's nothing to me - might be with you, only you will know.

when we went to the online bookin with cathy we asked fro any better seat, aand they gave us the seats upfront, really these are for families with babies , they have the pull down cots, they said if someone comes with babies we would have to give them up but they did not and to tell the truth the seats at the back where just as good, but seating at the front you did get your food first

Respected Member
    I can't remember with Cathay whether you can checkin for both flights at tT-48hrs for the first one, with most you can but I think Cathay is included, you'll find out at the time.

Seating wise, Cathay charges for the leg room seats unfortuntely.

Personally I only take Aisle seats when travelling economy, I hate being squashed in and like to drink plenty of water when flying.

Anyone flew on a 747-400?. My first time on one tomorrow. I have only been on 777-300 before.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Anyone flew on a 747-400?. My first time on one tomorrow. I have only been on 777-300 before.
    I have been on a 747 quite a few times but can't remember what version. They are definitely big and with that upper deck on and all. Wider across the middle, I think.

Have a look at this.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Tha...7-300_7431.php

There's normally a bar, band, snooker table etc on the top deck....

Banned
    BTW, have a good one.

What bag did you go for in the end?

Oh my wife wanted me to take some things over for her mate.. I just bought a cheap case in the end. Thanks for the advice though mate.

Looks a bit of a beast that plane. I hope it gets me there.
    http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Tha...7-400_7442.php. Obviously the top deck is for the the rich.

Banned
    Looks a bit of a beast that plane. I hope it gets me there.
    I always thought that too. How on earth does this er stay in the air? But I believe they stand on their good record.

Yes I heard a radio program a while back and there was a retired pilot on there. His motto was. If it aint BOING iM NOT GOING.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    A place for everything, everything in its place.

Trusted Member
    I take this chance to wish you a great trip .
    In addition to the good advice already given on booking the best seats, I suggest that you log on to the Cathy Pacific website - http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_GB/homepage - as your top priority on Tuesday at 12.30 pm !
    • Click on “ Manage Your Trip “ then from the drop down menu “ Manage My Booking “
    • Select the button for “ Non-Member of Marco Polo Club / Asia Miles
    • Enter your name exactly as booked, together with either Booking Reference Number OR eticket Number ( which presumably you already have, and should have printed in duplicate for security )
    • Select button for Hong Kong flight ( and then repeat for Manila flight )
    • Click on “ My Details “ then “ Seat/Other Services “
    • You should be able to book your chosen seats for both these flights at the same time .
    • The reason for booking your seats as soon after 12.30 pm as possible is that you will get the best choice of seats which are still available . Seats with extra legroom will not be available ( unless you pay about 75 GBP extra for each flight ) . Similarly new Premium Economy seats have been recently fitted on some of the Cathay Pacific Long Haul flights to Hong Kong – they are the best but only available at a premium of at least 600 GBP. Once you have booked your seat(s) you can print your Self-Print Boarding Pass or send Mobile Boarding Pass to your mobile device for the flight to Hong Kong.

Good luck .

Respected Member
    good luck /safe trip

Trusted Member
    It's the 747-400 that has the paired seats at the back with loads of extra room next to the window....but near the toilets.

My boy was always a well-behaved baby on the plane...quiet as mouse.

A place for everything, everything in its place.

Thanks all I cant wait to see my mahal. My stepdaughter has been marking off the calender. . Bless her.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Apart from they are full of highly explosive fuel Safest place is at the back .... and if you are going to crash, face the back, survival rates are higher. The reason they ask you to bend forward is not to improve your survival but to ensure they find your teeth in one piece so they can recognise you

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    i always try and get the back two seats and near to the window too, gives you lots more room and you may get no one next to you also,
    I always aim for the back (see above), no hassle getting people to move if your in a double with the missus, as far away from babies as possible, and book a 'special meal' that way you get to the loo before everyone else after you've eaten . Being at the back usually means you can sneak into the loo just before you land
    Quote Originally Posted by Iani View Post

Now if you are bothered by turbulence, then the most stable area is near the wings. The rear of the plane can by comparison be like a big dipper. I actually put this to the test on a bumpy flight once, walking to the end and there is definitely a difference, more of a wobble at the rear (sounds like a dodgy curry aftermath that).
    Turbulence isn't really a problem on fly-by-wire planes, you will notice it on a 747 though, but you don't get much on a 777 or Airbus.

Yes, it flies well unless it crashes
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Trusted Member
    Interesting account of the first 747 crash here:

http://www.iasa.com.au/folders/Safet...i747Crash.html

Respected Member
    Slightly off topic. But the Air France 747-400's have economy upstairs (unlike most airlines where business is upstairs). and it's sooo much better. It seems like a much smaller more private cabin and you have very very big window storage boxes to place your stuff and spread out onto. I flew on one to Rio a few years back.

In fact they've also done the same on the new A380, so sitting upstairs in economy with a window seat gives you a decent advantage over downstairs!

You've had a lot of very useful tips, Tim. Being 6ft tall, ample legroom is obviously one of MY main considerations. Likewise, I recommend choosing an aisle seat on long haul flights ... so that you can get up and down easily - both when you need a and whenever you want to stretch your limbs - without disturbing passengers next to you.

Also, have a supply of sweets [boilings are best!!!] for sucking on ... to relieve the less than pleasant pressure effects frequently felt on take-off and landing.

And - most importantly - treasure every moment spent in the company of your mahal.

Bon Voyage, my friend.

Trusted Member
    ...and people living near Heathrow complain.

When I lived in Hong Kong they were still using the nervous flier's nightmare...Kai Tak.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information