Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Can you take money from a Lloyds TSB account in the Phils?

I don't think you can but I'm asking just in case.

I've got an HSBC account too so I can get cash from that but this is just in case I lose my HSBC card or something.

Banned
    Get yourself a Caxton FX Card Jamie & load it up

http://www.caxtonfx.com/

Banned
    I took cash from my Nationwide account when I was in Phils. With a Visa debit card. I checked with Nationwide before I left ( I ditched Natwest about 18 months ago, but I had no problem with my Natwest debit card overseas....)

Banned
    I also took a Cashplus card similar to Caxton I think. Loaded it up beforehand. Just to hedge my bets, just in case. I also took a fair bit of cash, both UK and Phils.

http://www.mycashplus.co.uk/offers/c...FZARfAodOXzM_w

Last time I went I unknowingly took 32,000 PhP cold hard cash with me and got away with it

I don't think I'll try it again. Cheers dudes!

Btw, how long does it take to get this Caxton card?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieXXXmaria View Post
    Last time I went I unknowingly took 32,000 PhP cold hard cash with me and got away with it

I don't think I'll try it again. Cheers dudes!
    I did that the first time....also unknowingly. I only found out on the plane....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    I did that the first time....also unknowingly. I only found out on the plane....
    I did contemplate eating the surplus.....

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    I found out from a fellow Brit at Riyadh airport. The second leg of my journey was a bit worrying

Btw, how long does it take to get this Caxton card?
    For the Caxton card just a few days, count on a week. You top it up from your debit card online, by telephone or by text.

Most debit cards should work ok, but you really need to understand all the charges that will be applied, and also the exchange rate they will use. It's the total costs Jamie not just one. No good having low charges if the exchange rate is sky high.
    BTW some ATM's over there will charge you around P100-P200 per transaction just for the pleasure of using their m/c.
    BDO is one of the greediest at P200

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    For the Caxton card just a few days, count on a week. You top it up from your debit card online, by telephone or by text.

Most debit cards should work ok, but you really need to understand all the charges that will be applied, and also the exchange rate they will use. It's the total costs Jamie not just one. No good having low charges if the exchange rate is sky high.
    BTW some ATM's over there will charge you around P100-P200 per transaction just for the pleasure of using their m/c.
    BDO is one of the greediest at P200
    Thanks Terpe

I don't think you can but I'm asking just in case.

I've got an HSBC account too so I can get cash from that but this is just in case I lose my HSBC card or something.
    Yes.. My husband was using his Lloyds TSB card when we were in the Philippines. But there is maximum amount cash you can take it out. And they also charge for the service if you made withdrwals but it is not much.

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Yes you can, I have done it with my Lloyds card in the philippines - however, please ensure that you call up Lloyds first to tell them that you are travelling there, then you wont have any problems. I didnt do that as I travel a lot anyway, and had to call them to verify it was me using the card abroad etc. There is a telephone number on the back of the card that you can call.

One extra thing, if you are going to a small village or very small town, you will struggle, but any main town or city will have international ATM's - you will see the sign on them.

Cheers Deano

Respected Member
    You must tell them that you will be travelling to the Philippines, with dates. I have found BPI ATM machines to be generally the best with my Barclays debit card; LLoyds TSB might be similar.

My Co-Operative bank visa debit card was fine in the BPI machines with no charge from the machine, BPO with 200 peso, did not work in Chinabank or Landbank. Maxinum 1 withdrawl a day, same daily limit as cash withdrawl in UK, and yes I did notify my bank before I traveled.

I also sent myself a couple of tranches of money in Western Union, maybe I'll try the pre-pay card next time, it sounds more convenient.

one thing to do is to go into your bank and tell them that you will be in the philippines between certain dates so they know that there is nothing dodgy going on .and when you leave let your g f have one of your cards with zero balance and just transfer money into it as and when its needed she can just draw out at her end its cheaper than using western union .it also helps provide proof that you support her when the time comes for visas etc

I feel almost embarrassed saying this - next thing you'll be all accusing me of listening to Elvis on a 6 track, but have you also considered travellers cheques as a backup?

There's no way on earth I'd use these things for travelling to most countries nowadays. Nationwide used to be best, but since they started charging, I'd recommend the Halifax clarity card. There's no charge for abroad, and no charge for cash withdrawal (you just pay the interest, which works out probably cheaper than cash exchange charges at many places)

For SE Asia though, there's charges at ATM's, and the old fashioned travellers cheque at a bank can be a good option.

Plus, you have a retro thing going, and can get all misty eyed and nostalgic for those 70's trips with BOC to the Costa Del Sol. Grow yourself a nice droopy moustache, wear tight speedos and medallion, and go buy a straw donkey. Ahh

myself and emma used our natwest debit cards to withdraw from cash machines, good prices we got and no charges either

Thread Information