Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Luddendenfoot, near Todmorden and Slaithwaite

From PINAS to UK: A Step by Step Guide for FIRST Time Travellers To UK

Hello Everyone! I am already in Halifax at the moment. I arrived last Tuesday, (24th April, 2012 – that is a year and a month when I first saw Dave at Davao International Airport). The days before my flight were stressful because of the ETIHAD thing, but Dave fixed the problem before I checked in at NAIA Terminal 1 for my flight to Manchester.

I hope this thread helps those who are newbies in travelling like ME.

1. BEFORE THE FLIGHT DATE

a. Weigh your luggage. This will give you an estimation so you won’t exceed the baggage allowance given by the airline. If you would like to bring more stuff with you, you can buy for extra checked-in luggage allowance online. Purchasing additional luggage allowance is a way cheaper than actually paying at the airport which costs P450 pesos per kilo (provinces-Cebu Pacific). I bought 10 extra kilograms online for P520.

b. As suggested by the CFO Seminar, have all the visa documents in your hand carry luggage.

c. Put something with a conspicuous colour on your luggage so you will easily notice it during claiming time.

d. Avoid the queues by checking in online 24 to 4 hours prior to your flight. You reserve that energy used to check-in for the long line at the Immigration counter of the Philippine Airport.

2. Departure (Do not forget to say Bye, to your loved ones in Pinas – lol)

a. BRING YOUR MIND WITH YOU. Presence of mind is very important. Listen for announcement (even if it does not concern you)

b. If you have checked-in online (for Cebu Pacific), some airports do not have designated web check in counters. Just proceed directly to the Cashier to check in your luggage.

c. At the NAIA 3, claim your luggage at designated carousel. There are airline label for each carousel so you won’t get lost.

d. FROM TERMINAL 3 (DOMESTIC) TO TERMINAL 1 OR 2 (INTERNATIONAL)

i. After claiming your luggage, proceed to the exit area. There are airport taxis which CHARGES A LOT! (P550-600) TIP: (If you want to have a metered taxi and pay according to the meter reading, here’s what you should do – after claiming the luggage, ride an escalator to the second floor of the airport that is the DEPARTURE area where taxis who are bringing passengers to the Airport. If an airport personnel would ask you why are you going up, tell them, you need to see someone at the departure area. (a lie but it helps) You would not be able to pay more than P300 on this case.

e. AT THE TERMINAL FOR INTERNATIONAL DEPARTURE

i. Upon arrival, pay travel tax. (P1, 620.00). Keep the receipt, it might be asked for at the Immigration Counter.

ii. Wait for check in announcements posted on the monitors. Do not hesitate to ask if you are n doubt.

iii. CHECK IN at designated counter. There are check-in counters designate for Web Check in. If you have checked in online already, then proceed there; otherwise, queue for around 30 mins.

iv. Proceed to the designated place to pay for the TERMINAL FEE (P550).

v. Proceed to the Immigration Counter. Present your passport and the CFO Certificate plus the Travel tax receipt. The Immigration Officer might want to have a little CHIKA so be polite to answer her/his questions.

vi. Proceed to your designated boarding gate.

vii. You are ready to FLY!

3. CONNECTING FLIGHT

a. Look for FLIGHT TRANSFER signs and follow the arrow. If you are flying via Etihad, the Boarding Pass from Abu Dhabi to your point of destination does not indicate a boarding gate. Do ask the Etihad personnel at flight transfer counter.
    b. Proceed to the Boarding Gate. And wait for check in announcement (either through a pager or through monitors)

c. READY!

4. At the Port of Destination

a. Ask the flight attendant for a LANDING CARD and fill it in so you will proceed directly to the Immigration Counter.

b. The Immigration Officer might want to have another set of CHIKA like those asked during the CFO one on one guidance and counselling program.

c. I arrived at Manchester Airport and I wasn’t asked for a CHEST X-Ray Result. The Immigration Officers of other airports might ask you for one so be ready in case.
    d. HURRY, get your luggage at the designated carousel. These are mostly posted on monitors.

e. RUN and look for your sweetheart!

f. You deserve a HUG for a flight well done!

Jona
    UKBA,UKBA I am dreading to hear from you...
    UKBA, a BRP for Christmas will do...

Banned

Wooohoooo !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jlags90 View Post

a. Weigh your luggage. This will give you an estimation so you won’t exceed the baggage allowance given by the airline. If you would like to bring more stuff with you, you can buy for extra checked-in luggage allowance online. Purchasing additional luggage allowance is a way cheaper than actually paying at the airport which costs P450 pesos per kilo (provinces-Cebu Pacific). I bought 10 extra kilograms online for P520.
    Yes. My wife did that. Weighed her luggage at home with a set of scales. And we took out extra baggage allowance for her in advance, which worked out a lot cheaper.

BTW how did you get on with your Etihad ticket....what was the solution?

well done jlags good post, welcome to uk, wrap up warm

Respected Member
    Jlags,

Very useful and informative!

Good info for all the newcomers travelling to the Uk
    Well done

AN HAPPY WIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE

Good effort and well done Jona.

wow! good info j0na

Respected Member Eyes O'Donnell's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing this, well done jlags!

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post

BTW how did you get on with your Etihad ticket....what was the solution?
    It was indeed a BLESSING IN DISGUISE that the card he sent did not arrive on time. I was telling him one afternoon about looking for his BANK STATEMENT and scan a copy reflecting the ETIHAD transaction. BUT, he could not find any ETIHAD TRANSACTION on that card (SANTANDER- the one sent to me). So he had to call Etihad and asked for the sort code of the debit card used to book the flight. IT WAS ANOTHER CARD! THE ONE HAD AT HAND!

So he went to Manchester Airport prior to my flight time in Philippines and had his card --- VERIFIED...

The thread you gave me WAS INDEED HELPFUL... thanks a lot lastlid.

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    well done jlags good post, welcome to uk, wrap up warm
    I actually have three layers of clothes at the moment imagine... Can you imagine that? Hahaha! thank you for the warm welcome to the very cold UK!

Quote Originally Posted by febmary View Post
    Jlags,

Very useful and informative!
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie c View Post
    Good info for all the newcomers travelling to the Uk
    Well done
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Good effort and well done Jona.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Taurus View Post
    wow! good info j0na
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyes O'Donnell View Post
    Thanks for sharing this, well done jlags!
    Thank you everyone. Hope someone lives near Halifax so we could talk for real for sometime.

Banned
    It was indeed a BLESSING IN DISGUISE that the card he sent did not arrive on time. I was telling him one afternoon about looking for his BANK STATEMENT and scan a copy reflecting the ETIHAD transaction. BUT, he could not find any ETIHAD TRANSACTION on that card (SANTANDER- the one sent to me). So he had to call Etihad and asked for the sort code of the debit card used to book the flight. IT WAS ANOTHER CARD! THE ONE HAD AT HAND!

So he went to Manchester Airport prior to my flight time in Philippines and had his card --- VERIFIED...

The thread you gave me WAS INDEED HELPFUL... thanks a lot lastlid.
    Okay. Thats good. I see what happened there. Useful workaround...

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Okay. Thats good. I see what happened there. Useful workaround...
    Yes, the threads here are indeed helpful...

Respected Member
    Good post very very useful. For transfers between terminals NAIA you can also use the free shuttle bus which runs about every half hour.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    Good post very very useful. For transfers between terminals NAIA you can also use the free shuttle bus which runs about every half hour.
    That could also be an alternative... Thanks Ricky..!

hi jlags. thanks for this post
    i just wanna ask if your hubby booked your flight and purchase additional luggage allowance directly at etihad website or other site? coz im not sure if we can also purchase additional luggage allowance at expedia

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mary_drew View Post
    i just wanna ask if your hubby booked your flight and purchase additional luggage allowance directly at etihad website or other site? coz im not sure if we can also purchase additional luggage allowance at expedia
    If you register for Etihad Guest, you automatically get an extra 5 kg allowance. So head to the website and register. Then for adding excess baggage:

Excess baggage discount

Etihad Guests can pre-pay for excess baggage via the Airport Ticketing Office (ATO), City Ticketing Office (CTO) and Call Centre (within the UAE: 02 599 0000; outside the UAE: +971 2 599 0844). The Excess Baggage Vouchers (Airline Ancillary Service) will be issued as an Electronic Miscellaneous Document (EMD) and can be purchased for 5kg, 10kg, 15kg, 20KG, 25kg, 30kg & 35kg, as per the conditions below.

1. Available for sale from the time of booking until 24 hours prior to departure
    2. Only available on Etihad-operated flights
    3. Offered at a 10% discounted rate from the applicable airport excess baggage rates
    4. Sold on the premise of:
    a. use it or lose it
    b. no refund for partial use. For example: a guest has 5kg excess prepaid and only requires 3kg
    5. EMD can be issued for weight concept, piece concept or a combination of both where applicable
    6. Guests can be issued multiple EMDs for one segment. For example, 1st EMD for weight and 2nd EMD for piece

Quote Originally Posted by mary_drew View Post
    How many kilograms of luggage are you bringing with you Mary? Etihad has free 30 kilograms free... 23 kilograms for checked in --- and the 7 kgs. for hand carry.. Just make sure your hand carry luggage is big enough to contain 7 kgs because they only allow ONE carry on luggage...

We did not actually buy extra luggage from etihad so I do not know.. Ricky's post is very informative... I only have 18 kgs. checked in luggage.. (I did not have much to bring...)

Have a safe flight... and enjoy etihad's service...If you used a travel agent, try the web check in so you will be able to avoid long queue...

This information might also be helpful...

To check in online

http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/E...ebcheckin.aspx

Baggage Information

http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/E...ges-other.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    If you register for Etihad Guest, you automatically get an extra 5 kg allowance. So head to the website and register. Then for adding excess baggage:

Excess baggage discount

thank you so much for the helpful and informative reply ricky

This information might also be helpful...

To check in online

http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/E...ebcheckin.aspx

Baggage Information

http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/E...ges-other.aspx
    Thank you for the reply jlags. sad to say no flight dates yet as im still waiting for my visa . hopefully it will come out soon. i just put up the question as we dont have an idea on how were going to book it .
    thanks a bunch for your response! and enjoy uk

Hello Everyone! I am already in Halifax at the moment. I arrived last Tuesday, (24th April, 2012 – that is a year and a month when I first saw Dave at Davao International Airport). The days before my flight were stressful because of the ETIHAD thing, but Dave fixed the problem before I checked in at NAIA Terminal 1 for my flight to Manchester.

I hope this thread helps those who are newbies in travelling like ME.

1. BEFORE THE FLIGHT DATE

b. As suggested by the CFO Seminar, have all the visa documents in your hand carry luggage.

c. Put something with a conspicuous colour on your luggage so you will easily notice it during claiming time.

d. Avoid the queues by checking in online 24 to 4 hours prior to your flight. You reserve that energy used to check-in for the long line at the Immigration counter of the Philippine Airport.

2. Departure (Do not forget to say Bye, to your loved ones in Pinas – lol)

a. BRING YOUR MIND WITH YOU. Presence of mind is very important. Listen for announcement (even if it does not concern you)

b. If you have checked-in online (for Cebu Pacific), some airports do not have designated web check in counters. Just proceed directly to the Cashier to check in your luggage.

c. At the NAIA 3, claim your luggage at designated carousel. There are airline label for each carousel so you won’t get lost.

d. FROM TERMINAL 3 (DOMESTIC) TO TERMINAL 1 OR 2 (INTERNATIONAL)

i. After claiming your luggage, proceed to the exit area. There are airport taxis which CHARGES A LOT! (P550-600) TIP: (If you want to have a metered taxi and pay according to the meter reading, here’s what you should do – after claiming the luggage, ride an escalator to the second floor of the airport that is the DEPARTURE area where taxis who are bringing passengers to the Airport. If an airport personnel would ask you why are you going up, tell them, you need to see someone at the departure area. (a lie but it helps) You would not be able to pay more than P300 on this case.

e. AT THE TERMINAL FOR INTERNATIONAL DEPARTURE

i. Upon arrival, pay travel tax. (P1, 620.00). Keep the receipt, it might be asked for at the Immigration Counter.

ii. Wait for check in announcements posted on the monitors. Do not hesitate to ask if you are n doubt.

iii. CHECK IN at designated counter. There are check-in counters designate for Web Check in. If you have checked in online already, then proceed there; otherwise, queue for around 30 mins.

iv. Proceed to the designated place to pay for the TERMINAL FEE (P550).

v. Proceed to the Immigration Counter. Present your passport and the CFO Certificate plus the Travel tax receipt. The Immigration Officer might want to have a little CHIKA so be polite to answer her/his questions.

vi. Proceed to your designated boarding gate.

vii. You are ready to FLY!

3. CONNECTING FLIGHT

a. Look for FLIGHT TRANSFER signs and follow the arrow. If you are flying via Etihad, the Boarding Pass from Abu Dhabi to your point of destination does not indicate a boarding gate. Do ask the Etihad personnel at flight transfer counter.
    b. Proceed to the Boarding Gate. And wait for check in announcement (either through a pager or through monitors)

c. READY!

4. At the Port of Destination

a. Ask the flight attendant for a LANDING CARD and fill it in so you will proceed directly to the Immigration Counter.

b. The Immigration Officer might want to have another set of CHIKA like those asked during the CFO one on one guidance and counselling program.

c. I arrived at Manchester Airport and I wasn’t asked for a CHEST X-Ray Result. The Immigration Officers of other airports might ask you for one so be ready in case.
    d. HURRY, get your luggage at the designated carousel. These are mostly posted on monitors.

e. RUN and look for your sweetheart!

f. You deserve a HUG for a flight well done!

Jona
    to the UK, Jona. And for an EXCELLENT write-up ... it'll be a great source of help for others to refer to!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    to the UK, Jona. And for an EXCELLENT write-up ... it'll be a great source of help for others to refer to!

You are welcome... I think it's time i share what I have been to. I was once someone who often finds my way to this forum asking too many (sometimes repeating) questions. It's time to be of help...

Thread Information