Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Respected Member

Banned
    I didn't see it but this case has just been on BBC Panorama -probably available tomorrow or whatever on iPlayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17810136

I don't believe he was a nurse, but a healthcare assistant. No excuses for what he done he is obviously a nasty little man who picked on vulnerable patients. I hope his time in prison is extremely uncomfortable.
    The fact he is Filipino is in no way a bad reflection on the many thousands of Filipino health care professionals who work in this country and do an oustanding job. On a personal note whenever my 92 year old mother has been treated or cared for by a Filipino she always remarks on how caring sweet and professional they are.
    He was just a rotten egg in the same way as Beverly Allitt was and the good thing is they've been caught and punished.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    I don't believe he was a nurse, but a healthcare assistant. No excuses for what he done he is obviously a nasty little man who picked on vulnerable patients. I hope his time in prison is extremely uncomfortable.
    The fact he is Filipino is in no way a bad reflection on the many thousands of Filipino health care professionals who work in this country and do an oustanding job. On a personal note whenever my 92 year old mother has been treated or cared for by a Filipino she always remarks on how caring sweet and professional they are.
    He was just a rotten egg in the same way as Beverly Allitt was and the good thing is they've been caught and punished.
    Good post I agree. Unfortunately this will lead to some besmirching of Filipino Nurse's & Carers deserved excellent reputation as it only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch

Trusted Member
    I watched it, and also felt it would be such a shame (and grossly unfair) if viewers of the programme now tarred all Filipino health workers with the same brush.

At least the guy was caught and punished, and the others' behaviour noted.

Hmm ... Jonathan Aquino! Wonder if he's related to the Philippines President?

shame!!! thats all i can say

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    I watched it last night and I can't believe they did that to the old lady! I was so disgusted! Their visas should be cancelled and then they should be deported.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Trusted Member
    There are ignorant and racist comments in reaction to the article quoted, reflecting unfairly on the Philippines which provides so many carers for the UK and rest of the world. The vast majority of health care assistants do a great job, regardless of nationality. Of course Aquino’s actions are indefensible. All patients are entitled to the highest standard of healthcare. However, healthcare assistants ( HCAs, “ clinical support workers “ in Scotland, “ nursing assistants “ in Northern Ireland ) are at risk of being asked to stretch beyond a level of their competency or what would be ethically correct. HCAs should have to meet minimum standards, especially with the increasing complexity of their work ( in place of now extinct enrolled nurses ). They should be regulated and on a register. Most HCAs want this.
    Such a system should ensure the public’s right to protection from unsafe practitioners and an individual’s human right to a fair hearing. Making an existing regulatory body responsible for HCAs would seem sensible.

There will always be a minority of health care workers who are substandard or dangerous, no matter how carefully they’re monitored and regulated. They may not even come to the attention of local employers, never mind regulatory bodies such as the General Medical Council ( GMC ), or the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). Rather inexplicably, the NMC and the Government are opposed to HCA regulation, partly on grounds of cost.
    In England there is a fairly new health and social care regulator - the Care Quality Commission ( CQC ). This is meant to regulate over 21,000 providers, from hospitals to care homes. It’s had a lot of criticism – from MP’s, the National Audit Office, the Panorama programme, and reports such as those on the Winterbourne View residential home. It could itself already be stretched beyond its level of competence. Another report, expected to influence the findings of the Mid Staffordshire Foundation Trust Public Inquiry, recommends voluntary HCA regulation as a step towards a compulsory system. Of course HCA's that register voluntarily are unlikely to be a problem. Even a compulsory system would not be foolproof, but might improve the present situation.

one bad apple , and being filipino has nothing to do with it, he could have been from anywhere, as abusers like this are, even from your own family
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

I watched it last night. OMG! I can't believe it of what they done to the vulnerable person. And I can't believe of our felllow pinoy that they put us into bad reputation...

18 months of being in prison is not enough! grrrrrrrrrr What a shameful act!!
    ADAMGRACE

Quote Originally Posted by GraceAdam View Post
    18 months of being in prison is not enough! grrrrrrrrrr What a shameful act!!
    ... think I heard he was to be deported forthwith on "completion" of his sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    on "completion" of his sentence.
    Note: I say "completion" in inverted commas ... because, nowadays - subject to *"good behaviour" (also in quotes for *their connotations) - prison inmates - for some reason - tend to be released after serving only half of their nominal custodial sentences.

Jonathan Aquino Disgusting ...18 months and deport back to PH ......Ash Court should be closed
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

i watched it on i player today, its sickening to see such treatment,

and also that home should have been closed down , the management are just as guilty, surely they must know what goes on

Trusted Member
    Breakdown of the extended family, community spirit and 'traditional values' here hasn't helped either.
    - Don't see many old people locked up out of sight in care homes in the Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Breakdown of the extended family, community spirit and 'traditional values' here hasn't helped either.
    - Don't see many old people locked up out of sight in care homes in the Philippines.
    probably becuase they cant afford to pay fess of over 500gbp a week , i've not watched it yet but its not just physcial abuse, there is psychological abuse. and in profiling the people who do this, you might be surprised to find many are women btw the ages of 30-40, usually a close family member or friend.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    probably becuase they cant afford to pay fess of over 500gbp a week , i've not watched it yet but its not just physcial abuse, there is psychological abuse. and in profiling the people who do this, you might be surprised to find many are women btw the ages of 30-40, usually a close family member or friend.
    Spot on the mark there.

There's a huge problem evolving between inadequate funding and quality care.
    As the populations live longer there is bigger need for support for those who need it.
    Not just old people either.
    It impacts anyone and everyone who needs some care/support whether it's in their own home or in residential care.

things can only be made worse by cut backs by the gov, councils are struggling to fund essential services, like child and adult protection and so abuse like this will slip thru and go on unrecorded

as for why many are women in thier 30-40s probably becuase they are mothers and appear honest and trustworthy to most people and society, and so they dont fit the bill as a potential abuser.

Trusted Member
    The (my) point is, if the elderly were taken care of within a family setting, as more commonly happens in the Philippines, this kind of abuse and the miserable lives that many old people here have in general, would be less of a problem.

It is a shame that our society has gradually gone down the path which has led to the breaking up of extended families and communities, where there are a variety of 'interested parties' involved in the care of ALL generations.

I know I can't change that...just saying.

Trusted Member
    To give an example:

My Filipino mother-in-law suffered severe injuries to her back when she was (previously a very fit) 65 year-old, and was diagnosed as having Osteoporosis (brittle bones).

She was in a wheel-chair, paralysed from the waist down, had bags for her bowel excretions, and was generally at death's door.

Her family rallied round, took loving care of her and were able to meet her needs ...including her residing with them, all out of their meagre poor provincial rice farmer funds.

She subsequently lived for another 22 happy years.

no matter how much you can afford to pay a carer still you cannot compare the care being provided by family member.

my family would be after my millions if they had to look after me

Banned
    Just saw this on BBC today. Panorama repeat. More than one Philippino involved at Ash Court Care Home. Not good.

Banned
    Recorded CCTV might be a way forward here.....

Trusted Member
    I thought the same thing, but what about the patient's/resident's privacy ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I thought the same thing, but what about the patient's/resident's privacy ?
    I thought that too. But there comes a time where a judgement call might have to be made on that, on balance. Could simply be recorded but not monitored as such. That would be deterrent enough?

Trusted Member
    The camera could be triggered only when the door to the room was opened ?

Yeah a complete disgrace this was allowed to happen. The guy there is no excuse for at all and he deserves everything he gets and more. The other parts i did see involving the women ( although didnt watch it all) actually can be blamed on the management and training of staff to a point!
    Such a shame there seems to be a bit of a backlash towards filo workers because of this, and some companies already very unsure of employing them because they knew this case was coming into the media spotlight (i know because i work in the care industry)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information