Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why should anyone have to pay to stay in the uk

I have come to the conclusion there is a massive injustice in settling in the UK...
    Why should an innocent women from the philippines or Thailand for that matter, be penalised when she comes to live in the UK. after a 2yr probation, the couple then has to fork out a minimum of 972 pounds to remain in the UK .. Then a year later another 750 pounds to be nationalised.... If you marry a girl in the uk who is english no fees not probation... If you marry a girl from any eastern block country such as romania , hungary, or Poland, then no charge.... ( but most romanians are scum thieves or benefit cheats).. Why should an english guy who meets his wife in phily brings her back to the uk ( at a massive cost) have to pay again 2yrs later and a year later still to be naturalised.... It's a Farce....!!!!!!! My wife has been here 18months and been working for over 6 months, why should she have to be forced to pay 972 pounds in a few months time just to remain here.... ABSOLUTELY CRAZY.....IT MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL....!!!!!!!!! The governments an ASS.......

Trusted Member
    I don't think many on here will disagree with you on that.

agree

Banned
    Someone needs to start a human rights/discrimination action over the way non EU spouses are treated compared with EU spouses and Roma thieves - Mrs Cheri Blair would be interested if there's some legal aid funding involved

Quote Originally Posted by Takenoprisoners View Post
    It's a Farce....!!!!!!!
    , Terry ... yet, should you happen to be European - other than British - you're able to exercise your EEA Treaty Rights in order to bring a non-European partner to the UK - without so much as paying a penny towards visa costs.

WHY the anomaly?

's the million dollar question!

i've paid more than 4k in visa fees over the years, like many things now its a money earner
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Takenoprisoners View Post
    I have come to the conclusion there is a massive injustice in settling in the UK...
    Why should an innocent women from the philippines or Thailand for that matter, be penalised when she comes to live in the UK. after a 2yr probation, the couple then has to fork out a minimum of 972 pounds to remain in the UK .. Then a year later another 750 pounds to be nationalised.... If you marry a girl in the uk who is english no fees not probation... If you marry a girl from any eastern block country such as romania , hungary, or Poland, then no charge.... ( but most romanians are scum thieves or benefit cheats).. Why should an english guy who meets his wife in phily brings her back to the uk ( at a massive cost) have to pay again 2yrs later and a year later still to be naturalised.... It's a Farce....!!!!!!! My wife has been here 18months and been working for over 6 months, why should she have to be forced to pay 972 pounds in a few months time just to remain here.... ABSOLUTELY CRAZY.....IT MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL....!!!!!!!!! The governments an ASS.......
    I quite agree. I understand that it costs money to process the paperwork but at those prices we are being ripped off.

I think the government rely on the fact that we, the sponsors, don't amount to a very big lobby and so are happy to rip us off and not care if they lose our vote.....

Respected Member
    I agree.

My wife had been here for 6 years before I met her, working in the NHS, paying taxes and contributing to the country!

She got ILR and citizenship in her own right (without having to be married to me) but had to pay nearly £1000 for the privelidge! I thought that this huge charge was a disgrace, so wrote to my MP about it.

To be fair to him, he took it up with the minister in charge and got an explanation. They just said it was policy.... blah blah blah....

I would advise that everyone else here does the same and writes to their MP. If they realise that this is a big issue and that there are votes involved, they might do something to make the system fairer.

Mrs Cheri Blair would be interested if there's some legal aid funding involved
    who would get legal aid

just like graham says we all agree with what you say, but to be honest i would pay loads more for what i have in my wife, she is worth more to me then anything, the few years we have been together well i just wish i knew her a long time ago, just my thoughts,

Its all part of being the big society. whatever that means.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    just like graham says we all agree with what you say, but to be honest i would pay loads more for what i have in my wife, she is worth more to me then anything, the few years we have been together well i just wish i knew her a long time ago, just my thoughts,
    The thing is, these large sums of money are big chunks for some and would be better spent on other things instead of in some kind of "wife" tax.....basically its a regressive tax on wives with the relatively greater burden falling on the least able to pay....

Trusted Member
    It IS totally discriminatory.

Respected Member
    Essentially they are saying that the are charging cost price for these fees, which ok would be understandable if they charged cost price to all fees involved in any government transaction, but most transaction and processes and subsidised by taxes, why not this process when others are given such an easy ride! The system is screwed, its all stealth tax.

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    The thing is, these large sums of money are big chunks for some and would be better spent on other things instead of in some kind of "wife" tax.....
    ... ...

... basically its a regressive tax on wives with the relatively greater burden falling on the least able to pay ....
    ... ... on top of the necessary plane fares to meet your prospective partner (because in nine cases out of ten, she's unlikely to be granted a visa to visit you!) wedding expenses, etc. May be a "drop in the ocean" for a celebrity with plenty of dosh ... but, for most ordinary guys, payment of extortionate visa fees amounts to a HUGE chunk of their savings.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    Essentially they are saying that the are charging cost price for these fees, which ok would be understandable if they charged cost price to all fees involved in any government transaction, but most transaction and processes and subsidised by taxes, why not this process when others are given such an easy ride! The system is screwed, its all stealth tax.
    but ther gov have stated a number of times, having ILR or Citizenship is a privelege , and one worth paying for

its just a money earner, I recently posted how much they made on each visa app, and the prices will only go one way, thats up
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    , Terry ... yet, should you happen to be European - other than British - you're able to exercise your EEA Treaty Rights in order to bring a non-European partner to the UK - without so much as paying a penny towards visa costs.

WHY the anomaly?

's the million dollar question!
    Both My Parents are Irish. Does this mean if I had an Irish Passport I would be entitled to do what Arthur is saying. If thats the case perhaps I should apply for an Irish passport.

if you could have got an Irish passport, it should have been easier for you and your wife, using the family permit way would have meant your wife and kids would have had a virtual legal right to be with you. it also should cost you nothing for the visa's, and you dont need to prove much, really the only way it can be refused is on grounds on national security or if they have evidence its a marriage of convenice

We are in a minority to have a non EU partner; immigration is such a big issue that I feel that to appease the uninformed masses, the government have to bring in measures that are seen to not make it easy for people to bring their partners to the UK.

One such way is to have a high visa fee; this should stop the chancers who, if the fee was lower, would consider it a gamble to apply for this visa. There has been a few times when I have seen the comment regarding applying for a visitor visa that, as it’s only a low fee then it’s worth applying.

Another reason is the abusers of the system; this is relevant to many areas of our lives, not just this topic. We all get looked at in the same way when, as many have said before, there are people from other areas of the world who abuse the system but we all suffer for it.

Having said that, my opinion is that as the fee is so high, it is only genuine people that now apply as is it a lot of money to lose if not successful.

But another view is that, for some, the amount that could possibly be claimed in benefits once they are here would soon pay for any visa fees. For example, since my wife, our son and her son have arrived here, I have been able to claim child benefit and tax credits, which over time will be be more than I paid in fees.

No one is forcing you to have a partner form the Philippines, it is your choice to bring them here, they will say that there are other options available, such as moving there, although we all know, in most cases, the salary there does not compare to here and would make the move there difficult.

As the recent petition (that only got about 130) votes has shown, we will never had massive public support on this issue and many would feel that we should not be allowed to bring them here at all.

Banned
    But another view is that, for some, the amount that could possibly be claimed in benefits once they are here would soon pay for any visa fees. For example, since my wife, our son and her son have arrived here, I have been able to claim child benefit and tax credits, which over time will be be more than I paid in fees.
    Fair point.

Trusted Member
    My Grandma was Irish (Republic of).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    My Grandma was Irish (Republic of).
    Wikipedia for what its worth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_n...y_law#At_birth

Due to legislative changes introduced in 1986, the Irish citizenship of those individuals requiring registration, dates from registration and not from birth, for births registered on or after 1 January 1987.[17] Citizenship by registration had previously been back-dated to birth.

In practice, anyone with an Irish citizen grandparent born in the island of Ireland, can easily claim Irish citizenship. His or her parent would have automatically been an Irish citizen and their own citizenship can be secured by registering themselves as in the Foreign Births Register. In contrast, those wishing to claim citizenship through an Irish citizen great-grandparent may be easily frustrated if their parents were not registered in the Foreign Births Register. Their parents can only transmit Irish citizenship to children born after they themselves were registered and not to any children born before registration.

Did you hear about the Irish water polo team?
    All their horses drowned.

Trusted Member
    I did hear about the Irish swimmer who claimed a record at 25 metres in 3 secs.

Guinness told him going over a waterfall doesn't count.

Fair point.
    ... what Rusty says, makes a great deal of sense. Britain - especially in many parts of England - is already densely overcrowded in proportion to its size and, those of us with non-European partners, representative of a tiny minority. But, even so, this does not detract from the unfairness of a arrangement that allows foreign partners of continental Europeans free - albeit to some extent, restricted - access to OUR country ... regardless of whether they arrive here legitimately or otherwise.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Wikipedia for what its worth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_n...y_law#At_birth

Due to legislative changes introduced in 1986, the Irish citizenship of those individuals requiring registration, dates from registration and not from birth, for births registered on or after 1 January 1987.[17] Citizenship by registration had previously been back-dated to birth.

In practice, anyone with an Irish citizen grandparent born in the island of Ireland, can easily claim Irish citizenship. His or her parent would have automatically been an Irish citizen and their own citizenship can be secured by registering themselves as in the Foreign Births Register. In contrast, those wishing to claim citizenship through an Irish citizen great-grandparent may be easily frustrated if their parents were not registered in the Foreign Births Register. Their parents can only transmit Irish citizenship to children born after they themselves were registered and not to any children born before registration.
    ...So unless I'm reading it wrongly, I can register for Irish Citizenship ?
    My brother has traced the Irish side of the family back at least 300 years.

I can register for Irish Citizenship ?
    thought crossed my mind as well, Graham (after being reminded by Dedworth's extract) ... GO FOR IT!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    Both My Parents are Irish. Does this mean *if I had an Irish Passport I would be entitled to do what Arthur is saying. If thats the case perhaps I should apply for an Irish passport.
    It certainly looks like it, Marco (again ... after reading Dedworth's extract in #22)! Just a pity you hadn't been aware of *this loophole before submitting your application. But it's so "easy to be wise" after the event.

Maybe, though, there would still be time to do something about it ... depending, I suppose, on the stage your appeal is at. At least it gives you a base to work on. And, who knows ...? ... *you might even be entitled to a retrospective refund* for the clumsy way in which the Embassy handled your [original] application. *Wishful thinking*, I realise, but still ...

Trusted Member
    Probably best to let the appeal go through (and everything invested so far) and then go for an Irish passport if all else fails.

Banned
    Probably best to let the appeal go through (and everything invested so far) and then go for an Irish passport if all else fails.
    - if I could take out an Irish one I would now, handy to have a bolthole when we become a Muslim state. My Great Grandfather was Dublin born but I dont think they let you go back that far

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information