Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

How to become a UK Nurse?

Hello,

My Wife has a Nursing degree from the Philippines but did not pass the board exam, she now lives with me in the UK and is interested in training to be a nurse here.
    Can anyone tell me what would be involved in qualifying as a UK hospital nurse? Would her degree from Phils count towards a UK qualification?

thanks

Banned
    My daughter is training to be an SRN / RN just now in Manchester. It has involved several years of study so far. She started off as a care assistant in an old peoples care home, then got a job as a dietetic nursing assistant in a hospital in Manchester, before embarking on her SRN course. She is British by birth.

BTW I gather that anyone from Phils wanting to go into nursing needs to have passed the ELT at a higher level than the UKBA requirement. Dont know for sure if that is true......

One would hope that your wife could at least be deemed to have some credits towards a UK nursing qualification.

Banned
    You should find a lot of info in this thread from the Doc

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....hlight=nursing

My wife's an RGN but she was recruited in the PI in the good old days and came over to the job on a work permit

Trusted Member
    My ex started by doing a special course at our local university for mature students, which included practical nursing at the local hospital. (She had no qualifications whatsoever).

This course then leads on to a B.Nurs degree course in nursing (which my sister has incidentally, and also taught at Aberdeen University for 10 years).

Your wife would likely at least be allowed several credits towards the British degree, so probably would be able to complete the course in a shorter length of time.

Well worth investigating online or at your local Education Office. (There is a name for these special entry courses which I'm afraid I can't remember right now).

Respected Member
    thanks for the replies
    My wife is working on a temporary contract in a dementia nursing home as a care assistant, she want to do this for 6 months and then she is going back to study to qualify for the overseas nurses program to become a RN.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancashirelad View Post
    thanks for the replies
    My wife is working on a temporary contract in a dementia nursing home as a care assistant, she want to do this for 6 months and then she is going back to study to qualify for the overseas nurses program to become a RN.
    Am I right in saying there is a nursing college in Preston...

Thread Information