Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Minimum Income Proposals

There's been a great deal of concern amongst our membership in recent months over government plans to set a certain income level for those hoping to bring non-European partners for settlement in the United Kingdom.

At the moment, the figure being bandied about is, I believe, somewhere around £26,000 per annum.

First of all, I should stress that - as far as I am aware - no final decisions have yet been made as regards the implementation of these draconian measures ... nor indeed if they will even be approved.

Anyway ... in an effort to quell the fears of those folk most likely to be affected in the event of the green light being given - and, as a former Local Government Employee, earning a Gross Annual Salary of *£10,386 at the time of my early retiral as a Senior Clerical Assistant in 1993 - I took the liberty, this forenoon, of contacting my local Council's Human Resources Department to enquire what *that amount would equate to in present day terms.

Here's what I discovered:

Almost two decades on, £10,386 would be equivalent to £17 -£18k approximately - at best! Quite a shock, really! And a bit of a wasted effort on my part. But, if nothing else, it proves what I'd long suspected ... £26,000 is nowhere near what the Government claims to be "average". On the contrary, it's still considerably ABOVE average.

That's what so damned unfair about such proposals.

Trusted Member
    There seems to be no logic applied to wage rates these days.

A bin man hooking up wheelie bins to the back of a truck is probably getting paid more than the person who pays his wages.

Now when they used to be humping heavy bins on their shoulders from the back of people's houses and physically tipping the things into an open truck....YES they were earning their (much lower then) money.

On the other hand there are the thousands of Quango employees on 40 grand a year for pushing bits of paper about and making money on their travel expenses.

Yes indeed Arthur, its sounds like if you work in central London u are more likely to meet their suggested salary scale than if you live like u do in central Scotland. Another crazy, unfair and ridiculous idea from this dithering Government

s, Graham & Malcolm!!

Binmen, or "scaffies" ... as they were once called - nowadays redesignated 'Refuse Collection Officers' - do a helluva lot less backbreaking work than they used to ... for a much LARGER pay.

Everything has gone up but not our wages
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Trusted Member
    Surely the only TRUE measure has to be DISPOSABLE income...just as mortgage lenders go by .

Banned
    Here are the stats........

Mean gross UK annual income, regardless of area. The statistical national average of about 26000 squidly diddlys. Presumably what the government are going by. I sympathise with those that live in areas where local average incomes are below the national average.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...inflation.html

BTW the average male earns more than this figure and the average female less.....

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Surely the only TRUE measure has to be DISPOSABLE income...just as mortgage lenders go by .
    Totally agree Graham.
    The government has opted for gross income as that is the key determinant for most benefits and, allegedly, one of the drivers of these proposals is to eliminate the benefits factor.

Banned
    Its easier to measure / assess gross income than disposable income.................so I guess they take the easier route.......

Banned

I have had 3 mortgages over the course of time and I seem to recall they were all looked at with my gross income in mind. But I took my final mortgage out a good number of years ago, so maybe things have changed.....

Banned
    Here's even more stats....showing average figures for different forms of employment....doesn't cover the binmen though......

http://www.payscale.com/research/UK/...Kingdom/Salary

And interestingly...........by city......

http://www.payscale.com/research/UK/...Salary#by_City

Trusted Member
    I've been involved in selling finance for many years, and when correctly completed all finance application forms (including mortgages and bank loans) will include a detailed list of OUTGOINGS, thereby arriving at the applicant's DISPOSABLE income.

This is the only way in which a lender can ascertain whether the prospective borrower is able to COMFORTABLY meet the repayments.

It was of course the widespread ignoring of these basic requirements which ultimately led to the collapse of the banking industry, especially in the USA.

Now though at first it may appear more complicated for the govt. to base their income requirements on disposable income, in fact they actually have more detailed (and confidential) information to hand than does the average mortgage lender or bank...especially in the case of those submitting a visa application !

As usual, our silly ex-prep school MPs have little knowledge of commerce and their methods of sorting the wheat from the chaff (when applied correctly ).

Banned
    I've been involved in selling finance for many years, and when correctly completed all finance application forms (including mortgages and bank loans) will include a detailed list of OUTGOINGS, thereby arriving at the applicant's DISPOSABLE income.

This is the only way in which a lender can ascertain whether the prospective borrower is able to COMFORTABLY meet the repayments.

It was of course the widespread ignoring of these basic requirements which ultimately led to the collapse of the banking industry, especially in the USA.

Now though at first it may appear more complicated for the govt. to base their income requirements on disposable income, in fact they actually have more detailed (and confidential) information to hand than does the average mortgage lender or bank...especially in the case of those submitting a visa application !

As usual, our silly ex-prep school MPs have little knowledge of commerce and their methods of sorting the wheat from the chaff (when applied correctly ).
    I guess you are right Graham. Thinking about it they did ask about other outgoings.....the initial focus was on gross income but they must have been looking at outgoings too....

I just think they can't be bothered to go that far....

Respected Member
    we shall see in june how things go

Quote Originally Posted by zaxy View Post
    we shall see in june how things go
    Well ... ... "June is burstin' out all over" (more than can be said for the !). And, with the advent of 'Summer', the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Celebrations - a truly awe-inspiring feast of Pomp & Ceremony - intermingled with marvellous entertainment for those privileged to attend.

Happy days, eh?

But, back to stark reality! Sadly, all good things must come to an end. Notably absent from St Paul's earlier, was the gloomy shadow of one, Theresa May. Could it be she is lurking in the corridors of power ... waiting to pounce with her radical shakeup of the Immigration System?

Tomorrow ... all is due to be revealed. Anyone heard anything definite yet?

i doubt tomoz Arthur but looks like it will be sometime this month ..
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    They did say the 6th June....but....

Respected Member
    I hopw with all the celebrations it's not a good time to bury bad news...

Banned
    To be honest, if this proposed £ 26k minimum is going help reduce the welfare bill then surely it gotta be a good thing.

There are a whole raft of benefits to be claimed as a couple after the ILR is in there palms.

Surely, morally it isn't right to expect others to supplement there income. I know there's a long list of injustices going on right now in our country. By adding to it doesn't make it right.

Im afraid, for a very few, they could possibly become victims of our own generous (for some ) welfare system.

Banned
    I dont think it needs to be as high as 26k. Why that high?

Trusted Member
    It is clear discrimination..certainly where Spouse visa is concerned, since the wife/husband is entitled to work from day one anyway, thereby making a contribution to the household income.

The proposals are a complete nonsense.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    I dont think it needs to be as high as 26k. Why that high?
    Being no expert on what you can and cant claim, there is one benefit I know of and thats childs tax credits.....£ 25k and under you can claim...im sure, amongst others

Well i dont earn 26k and I am going to see my Angeline on 9th June, if it all works out I do want to marry her, I think I will go ahead whatever the government propose because she so precious to me ... love is strong & moves all mountians I hope it can move unfair laws to genuine people who can support their sweetheart on a lot less than 26k!

Take care John ( getting nervous about the loooong journey leave by car Friday 12:00 night arrive Cagayan de oro city monday 11:30! )
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained"
    "It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all" Lord Tenneson.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    Being no expert on what you can and cant claim, there is one benefit I know of and thats childs tax credits.....£ 25k and under you can claim...im sure, amongst others
    Okay. I see where you are coming from. But I still think £26k is too high. I can't see why tax credit alone can come between 66% of UK earners and their foreign spouses coming to the UK. Tax credit could be waived for sponsors, for example.

Banned
    I would quite like to see the government figures if 26k is based on potential welfare benefits claimable. Fortunately such a ruling wont affect me as I am the right side of that figure. But ...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Okay. I see where you are coming from. But I still think £26k is too high. I can't see why tax credit alone can come between 66% of UK earners and their foreign spouses coming to the UK. Tax credit could be waived for sponsors, for example.
    So who's gonna pay the short fall? Is it right to expect the already hard pressed tax payers of this land to furnish your chosen lifestyle.

Im not out to make mischief here, im just looking at it from the ordinary guy in the street point of view.

Banned
    So who's gonna pay the short fall? Is it right to expect the already hard pressed tax payers of this land to furnish your chosen lifestyle.
    Nobody furnishes my lifestyle except me.

just throw my bit in here, idont expect anything from this goverment, i dont want anything from this goverment,if i want something i go to work to earn it,

the figure of £25k+ was mentioned, because at that income you wouldn't qualify for some benefits, what makes this wrong is, that as a British Citizen if your eligible to apply for the benefit then you have a legal right to, apply the same rules to those who are from the EU who are in the UK and after a few months of working here they can claim those benefits but they dont want you a British citizen to, that they will refuse your wife a visa . yet some Europeans in the UK can claim child benefit etc for their kids back in their own country
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Im not out to make mischief here, im just looking at it from the ordinary guy in the street point of view.
    your presuming that these people will claim these benefits, which benefits are you talking about gWaPito ? , i dont know about you, but you can't have much of a lifestyle on what you get from the gov/taxpayer.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information