Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post

Btw Its actually sons now ..
    ... oops ... my mistake - you HAVE been a busy man!

Quote Originally Posted by gwapito View Post
    you shouldn't assume what im doing or earning Arthur.
    I'm NOT "assuming" anything ... merely going by what you yourself happened to mention when this matter was previously discussed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    ... oops ... my mistake - you HAVE been a busy man!

I'm NOT "assuming" anything ... merely going by what you yourself happened to mention when this matter was previously discussed.
    Oki doki Arthur......its good night from him

i'll assume gWaPito your not claiming child benefit for your little ones, after all your thinking about the hard pressed taxpayer , now if you are then your using your legal right to claim it (for now anyway - til next year ) just like everyone else

your spouse doesn't have a right to 'recourse to public funds' until she has at least ILR, so what difference will this minimum income make then ? .. if you've a problem with the British partner claiming any sort of benefit then if they are eligible then its their legal right to, no matter who they are wed to, just as a EU citizen can claim.

you remember Tony on here ? how he struggled to get his wife here, i wonder if he's claiming benefits now from the hard pressed taxpayer ? did you wish him luck gWaPito

i dont give a if any British Citizen claims what ever, they should have a legal right to bring their partner here, the problem with me is those from the EU have more rights than British people, now thats what the hard pressed taxpayer should have a problem with...

and Osborne said "that those with the "broadest shoulders should bear the greatest burden" rightly so
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Well said Joe.

Banned
    Well. The hour hath passed and nothing has happened.

Banned
    To be honest, if this proposed £ 26k minimum is going help reduce the welfare bill then surely it gotta be a good thing.

There are a whole raft of benefits to be claimed as a couple after the ILR is in there palms.

Surely, morally it isn't right to expect others to supplement there income. I know there's a long list of injustices going on right now in our country. By adding to it doesn't make it right.

Im afraid, for a very few, they could possibly become victims of our own generous (for some ) welfare system.

Being no expert on what you can and cant claim, there is one benefit I know of and thats childs tax credits.....£ 25k and under you can claim...im sure, amongst others

I still fail to see how someone who is married to any spouse and is earning 25 grand a year, for example, being classed as a burden on the state. Especially if they have worked all their life. And as for Child Tax Credit - isnt that tax relief and not a benefit? Why should someone who earns 20 to 25 grand a year be penalised by being not allowed to bring their spouse into the country on financial grounds. I say again, need it be as high as 26 grand.....

i am one of the lucky ones here, i do earn well but its down to hard work, my emma is here also and our future plans are all going well, i feel for all our friends on here and who ever else is trying to bring there partners here, good luck i say and never give up,all this talk about a burden to our state and resources, i dont think anyone who is trying to bring there partners even think about getting benifits from the government,some one should explain the cost of bringing our partners here to help this economy with themselves working and paying tax should in the long term help everyone

Banned
    And another thing............from a slightly tongue in cheek stance, if we take the threshold rate at which people are eligible for tax credit as the determining criteria, (I seem to recall that there were moves to raise that threshold, were there not? ) why not hoof the threshold for tax credit up to 40000 a year and then refuse settlement visa applications to anyone under 40000 year from bringing their spouse into the country.

Ok I have been on this site for a while now and listened to a lot of the comments. Obviously a lot on here earn a good salary i.e over £26000 per year. My point is I have worked all my life. Im a qualified mechanical engineer. Because of all the engineering work going abroad I had to change my career. Instead of siting on my butt and claiming unemployment benefit I went into the healthcare profession as most of you know I work for the NHS. I think I do a good job. The downside is I dont earn the money now that I did in engineering so I am being penalised for working and not earning the required amaount. Is that my fault?

Andy222 not only that i'm sure your wife will want to work and not be a burden to the hardworking taxpayer and like most filipino's will not want or need 'recourse to public funds', and after all if they are a taxpayer they have a right as much as anyone else to claim what ever benefits their entitled to.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Trusted Member
    I am willing to bet the wages of several hundred thousand residents of South London, Bradford and Leicester that this will not go through.

Yes joe she will work here if she is allowed. I still feel there will be a way round it so we will wait and see.

There needs to be controls but it should be fair, I married a Fillipina and we have paid all our fees etc. so I would expect anyone coming here from outside our country to do the same, But this is not the case as we are part of the EU. It looks good on the front of the red tops Govt. fight immigration but to those of us in the know know that this is targeted towards people from outside the EU and thats the bit they forget to mention, I guess telling half truths isn't lying ?
    Either way this threshold is somewhat irrelevent as one could be earning 20000 a year and have a house thats paid for and low bills with more disposable income than someone earning 60000 a year with a big mortgage and less disposable income, So once again the Govt. are flapping their lips with out engaging brain or even more likely don't really care as it is some one getting paid to come up with these ridiculous ideas having never been or know anyone in that situation.
    Bunch of big footed red nosed clowns should all be working for Billy Smart
    Yes, I can spell, Just can't tpye

Trusted Member
    Totally agree...and DISPOSABLE income, as I've previously mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Totally agree...and DISPOSABLE income, as I've previously mentioned.
    but thats what some immigration judges use as a guide already

but your right there will be lots of problems for the gov if they do introduce a minimum income.

Theresa May will be making an announcement tomorrow on the new rules on forced marriage.

It doesn't mention whether the announcement will cover the other issues in the consultation.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Ok I have been on this site for a while now and listened to a lot of the comments. Obviously a lot on here earn a good salary i.e over £26000 per year. My point is I have worked all my life. Im a qualified mechanical engineer. Because of all the engineering work going abroad I had to change my career. Instead of siting on my butt and claiming unemployment benefit I went into the healthcare profession as most of you know I work for the NHS. I think I do a good job. The downside is I dont earn the money now that I did in engineering so I am being penalised for working and not earning the required amaount. Is that my fault?
    Thats a fair point Andy. In other words, you probably at a time in the past, paid both taxes and maybe National Insurance at a much higher rate than you do now. Fair point that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    i'll assume gWaPito your not claiming child benefit for your little ones, after all your thinking about the hard pressed taxpayer , now if you are then your using your legal right to claim it (for now anyway - til next year ) just like everyone else

your spouse doesn't have a right to 'recourse to public funds' until she has at least ILR, so what difference will this minimum income make then ? .. if you've a problem with the British partner claiming any sort of benefit then if they are eligible then its their legal right to, no matter who they are wed to, just as a EU citizen can claim.

you remember Tony on here ? how he struggled to get his wife here, i wonder if he's claiming benefits now from the hard pressed taxpayer ? did you wish him luck gWaPito

i dont give a if any British Citizen claims what ever, they should have a legal right to bring their partner here, the problem with me is those from the EU have more rights than British people, now thats what the hard pressed taxpayer should have a problem with...

and Osborne said "that those with the "broadest shoulders should bear the greatest burden" rightly so
    Thank you Joe. Believe you me, I do have a problem with these new Europeans coming in our country and generally extracting the urine.

We got many at my place of work who's wife's never set foot here not to mention the kids they are claiming for....disgraceful

Actually, I did congratulate and wish, both Simon and Tony good luck....im genuinely happy for both them.

It was a much earlier post on this thread by a moderator who mentioned why this proposed 26k minimum is being mooted...ie because of benefits beginning to kick in around that figure.....me, being me, latched on to it.

Honestly Joe, you should care who claims what and what for...its our money.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Notavirusalso View Post
    There needs to be controls but it should be fair, I married a Fillipina and we have paid all our fees etc. so I would expect anyone coming here from outside our country to do the same, But this is not the case as we are part of the EU. It looks good on the front of the red tops Govt. fight immigration but to those of us in the know know that this is targeted towards people from outside the EU and thats the bit they forget to mention, I guess telling half truths isn't lying ?
    Either way this threshold is somewhat irrelevent as one could be earning 20000 a year and have a house thats paid for and low bills with more disposable income than someone earning 60000 a year with a big mortgage and less disposable income, So once again the Govt. are flapping their lips with out engaging brain or even more likely don't really care as it is some one getting paid to come up with these ridiculous ideas having never been or know anyone in that situation.
    Bunch of big footed red nosed clowns should all be working for Billy Smart
    I agree. Any threshold, if there is to be one, needs to be fair across society, north to south and east to west and well thought out.

Trusted Member
    Sadly, unlike our MPs and senior civil servants who draft these regulations, we are unable to augment our salaries by making fraudulent claims for expenses to be paid out of the public purse and 'employing' relatives.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    i am one of the lucky ones here, i do earn well but its down to hard work, my emma is here also and our future plans are all going well, i feel for all our friends on here and who ever else is trying to bring there partners here, good luck i say and never give up,all this talk about a burden to our state and resources, i dont think anyone who is trying to bring there partners even think about getting benifits from the government,some one should explain the cost of bringing our partners here to help this economy with themselves working and paying tax should in the long term help everyone
    I totally agree...apart from saying you are lucky...nothing lucky about hard work..its what you've chosen to do. Me and you, both

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    Andy222 not only that i'm sure your wife will want to work and not be a burden to the hardworking taxpayer and like most filipino's will not want or need 'recourse to public funds', and after all if they are a taxpayer they have a right as much as anyone else to claim what ever benefits their entitled to.
    Nice one....I agree wholeheartedly
    Btw Nice to read a wised up post.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    I still fail to see how someone who is married to any spouse and is earning 25 grand a year, for example, being classed as a burden on the state. Especially if they have worked all their life. And as for Child Tax Credit - isnt that tax relief and not a benefit? Why should someone who earns 20 to 25 grand a year be penalised by being not allowed to bring their spouse into the country on financial grounds. I say again, need it be as high as 26 grand.....
    Child benefit is a benefit....child tax credit is exactly that, a hand out.

Banned
    So tax relief is a handout?

I always thought Tax Credit was like tax relief. And if you don't earn you don't get it. Not really a "handout" in the more usual sense of the word.

When my ex wife got about 15 or thereabouts quid a month in tax credit a good few years back I always saw it as tax paid by me (us) that was given back to us by the revenue boys. Not a handout. More akin to tax relief than anything, which in my book isn't a handout either.

So I still say, why 26000 grand a year? Why that high? I can't see any justification for it that is either fair or appropriate.

Huh so the money i earn and then pay in tax (which we dont claim anyway cuz we are "high earners" lol) they decide that i can pay a "litle" less tax cuz we have a child is a hand out ? NO.....If i dont work or earn money or pay tax and then get given money,,, then thats a hand out
    Yes, I can spell, Just can't tpye

A very interesting thread.. personally I would go along with the no earning threshold but with some kind of signed contract that No public funding would be claimed. In reality of course this couldn't work.. none of us knows what is around the corner and how circumstances may change. But there again.. If an earning threshold is upheld.. who knows how secure that earning capability is?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRomeo View Post
    A very interesting thread.. personally I would go along with the no earning threshold but with some kind of signed contract that No public funding would be claimed. In reality of course this couldn't work.. none of us knows what is around the corner and how circumstances may change. But there again.. If an earning threshold is upheld.. who knows how secure that earning capability is?
    Thats a fair point too. Exactly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    So tax relief is a handout?

I always thought Tax Credit was like tax relief. And if you don't earn you don't get it. Not really a "handout" in the more usual sense of the word.

When my ex wife got about 15 or thereabouts quid a month in tax credit a good few years back I always saw it as tax paid by me (us) that was given back to us by the revenue boys. Not a handout. More akin to tax relief than anything, which in my book isn't a handout either.

So I still say, why 26000 grand a year? Why that high? I can't see any justification for it that is either fair or appropriate.
    I dig what you saying lastlid but, the powers that be deem child/family tax credits as public purse.
    This is why those of you on a joint annual of less than 25k cant claim it until your partner has ilr.

Banned
    Public purse yes. Handout no.

And even if it is classed as a benefit I still cant see why it should come between someone and their foreign spouse / fiancee settling in the UK. Someone just under that threshold would get very little back in tax credit, but would be excluded from bringing their wife to the UK using the 26G criteria.

Child benefit is a benefit given out to both earners and non earners. Tax credit is tax paid back to the earner and tax payer. A refund or allowance or credit.

This is why those of you on a joint annual of less than 25k cant claim it until your partner has ilr.
    ... they're the very ones who need it MOST!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information