Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Banned

Philippines-US war games begin amid China tensions

"If you go to certain parts of the Philippine island of Palawan this week, you are likely to witness something rather unusual.

You might see a whole wave of speedboats coming to shore, launched from a military warship.

Or US troops discussing a huge theoretical earthquake; or large numbers of them building schools, or practising first aid.

It is the time of year when the Philippines-US military war games get under way - an arrangement from which both countries stand to gain.

The often ill-equipped and inexperienced Philippine troops get a chance to learn from American expertise, while for the US, it is an opportunity to cement its relationship with one of its closest and longest-standing regional allies.

The code name for these exercises is Balikatan - Filipino for shoulder-to-shoulder - to emphasise the closeness between the two nations.

But for officials in China, which is much closer to the Philippines geographically, these exercises could well have the opposite effect.

Instead of feeling shoulder-to-shoulder with Manila, they are more likely to feel they are being given the cold shoulder.

Disputed territory
    The games are happening at a time when tensions are already high between China and the Philippines over disputed territorial rights in the South China Sea".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17699176

Banned
    Oil and gas at heart of South China Sea dispute....experts view on video...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17724349

Trusted Member
    Perhaps it might benefit the Phils more being 'shoulder to shoulder' with China now.

Banned
    Well you might be right Graham, but then that would mean giving away all of their rights to the entire South China Sea and its resources......

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Well you might be right Graham, but then that would mean giving away all of their rights to the entire South China Sea and its resources......
    Filipinos have resources up the a$$.. Problem is to realize them ...politically we would have a civil war here with this crowd!!!
    I have invested personally in the past in Britiish companies that are still trying here to extract Nickel and copper etc..Bloody nightmare...Wish I had`nt bothered.
    Best they stick to Bananas and jackfruit IMO.
    Personally I want the U.S to come back and continue with the old blacktop ROAD campaign..

If its all about the oil in the Spratleys ect...Let the Yanks pay to extract it and pay the R.P directly its dues..Even now I dont think the Chinks will argue too much.. What the **** could they do about it?
    YANKS COME HOME!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    ...politically we would have a civil war here with this crowd!!!
    I think I am just beginning to realise that, after seeing todays picture of the US embassy being defaced etc....

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....ames-on-Monday

Post #3

Trusted Member
    If its all about the oil in the Spratleys ect...Let the Yanks pay to extract it and pay the R.P directly its dues..Even now I dont think the Chinks will argue too much.. What the **** could they do about it?
    YANKS COME HOME!!!
    I'll second that.

I think I am just beginning to realise that, after seeing todays picture of the US embassy being defaced etc....

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....ames-on-Monday

Post #3
    Thats nothing new!!! ...
    We have been having problems with these upstart Commie wannabe student types ever since Marcos times!!
    Ask any Filipino over 30 years old!!
    .....!!! Makes me so ....... mad!!!!

GRRRRRR

Banned
    If its all about the oil in the Spratleys ect...Let the Yanks pay to extract it and pay the R.P directly its dues.
    The problem for the Yanks or the British is who exactly would they pay to extract the oil? The Chinese or the Philippine governments? British Gas are in China already for example, in the "Chinese" part of the South China Seas and know where they stand with the Chinese in the areas they operate in, but there cant really be any developement in oil and gas exploration on the "Philippine" side of the South China Seas until it is decided who it exactly it belongs to. Too risky for the oil and gas companies or the drilling contractors or service companies.

The problem for the Yanks or the British is who exactly would they pay to extract the oil? The Chinese or the Philippine governments? British Gas are in China already for example, in the "Chinese" part of the South China Seas and know where they stand with the Chinese in the areas they operate in, but there cant really be any developement in oil and gas exploration on the "Philippine" side of the South China Seas until it is decided who it exactly it belongs to. Too risky for the oil and gas companies or the drilling contractors or service companies.
    I agree lastlid..

Trusted Member
    I suppose there's a slight similarity with us and the Argies and the potential oil/gas reserves in the South Atlantic.

Im no expert on the Spratley islands but it looks like part of the R.P to me!!
    The Chinese are not interested in negotiating anything with any other claimants of the "disputed" territory and quite content to fire live rounds from its warships over the heads of Filipino fishermen in Western Palawan.
    I dont think they would have taken these measures in the 80`s purely because the huge deterrent that the Yank bases provided here.. Most ordinary Filipino`s I have spoken to over the years loved the fact that the U.S had a large presence here then and many were shocked that they left after Pinatubo exploded..
    The U.S remains the R.P`s number one ally and they will need to count on them more and more as the Chinese bullying becomes more intense because of their greed for other countries resources.

Banned
    Im no expert on the Spratley islands but it looks like part of the R.P to me!!
    I would agree with you on that. But there are a lot of chinese that do not seem to echo that sentiment .

Personally, I hope the Chinese back off, one way or another and leave the Philippines alone to develop what is really rightfully theirs, geographically.

Thread Information