Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Trusted Member
    Jack Binns is a retired history teacher whom I know personally. He taught, and I learned, at the High School here. Of course I have " The History of Scarborough ", one of several books written by him.
    For the record, I'm joint author of a book on the history of Scarborough Hospitals ( not available on Amazon ), and have given countless talks to Scarborough groups and societies on the history of the town - donating all money received to the local hospice and Royal National Lifeboat Institution.

EVERY member is welcome to the weekend ! If you can't come, please at least be positive and support my efforts ! No one is under pressure to come.
    I have no doubt it will be enjoyable. The point is to meet other members. It's not to be put on the defensive about my local knowledge, or receive lectures on Scarborough !
    I will update members on the arrangements nearer the time. Some are already committed to travel considerable distances.

You may still feel you wish to have the last word - an apology would be appreciated - but I will not be responding.
    Alan..
    It may be that Lastlid was merely looking for further information on Jack Binns and couldnt find it on Wikipedia.. I doubt that he was questioning you or your integrety or your personnel knowledge regarding Jack Binns..
    Perhaps we should wait for Lastlids explanation of his last post before we ask him for an apology..
    It all may be a simple misunderstanding...Or not as the case may be..
    Lets see.

Banned
    On the Scarborough meet up, I am pretty much tied to the Isle of Man and already am expecting to travel to Lincoln in June for a Filipino / Brit wedding which will no doubt cost me a fortune in ferry fees so I don't expect to be able to do the boat trip to Heysham twice that month.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post

Just for info purposes really, for anyone wanting to read up on Scarborough beforehand. Available on Amazon.

I've booked into Lyness Guest House on Columbus Ravine. Friday & Saturday night although it will be later on the Friday night that I will arrive.

Respected Member
    I will try and make it but it will be a classic day trip, bucket and spade optional, 99 whippy compulsory.

If I tell my wife I've gone to the beach she's bound to ask how the swimming was

Trusted Member
    I'll be a day-tripper too...only an hours drive.

I think my record from York was around 30 mins. Naughty boy.

Respected Member
    For those members arriving in Yorkshire from 'The South', you'll want to practice your Glottal Stops.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire_dialect
    http://www.wikihow.com/Speak-With-a-Yorkshire-Accent

And when people from Yorkshire are contemplating what to say next they use ''eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, by eck", kind of a space filler.

I'm very jealous of everyone going though :-)

Trusted Member
    Don't be expecting any eee by gum lad sithees from me.

Today my son said that his mates think I talk POSH.

Trusted Member
    Two things I can’t promise – good weather such as we had today, and a Yorkshire accent ( I’m Scottish ) .
    Regardless of the weather, Scarborough ( and roads leading to it, especially the A64 ) will be busy ! Finding a parking place can be difficult, and our “ Marine Drive “ around the foot of the Castle Rock has a one way system because of construction work. I have a few parking discs and they’re readily available from shops / hotels.
    Apart from sea and beach attractions, there are two events on the weekend of 23-24 June. There is motor cycle racing with a “ Barry Sheene Classic Rally, parade of 1000 bikes “ at Oliver’s Mount. Saturday is Armed Forces Day with events at the South Bay. Both these will attract many visitors.
    Because the weather’s unpredictable, and members have different interests ( possibly bringing their kids ) the weekend is flexible . However, at the very least, my plan is to meet late afternoon / early evening for drinks at “ The Highlander Hotel “ on the Esplanade ( http://www.highlanderhotelscarborough.co.uk/ ) and then “ Ask “ restaurant by the harbour side at 8 pm for a meal ( http://www.askitalian.co.uk/#!/restaurants/scarborough ).
    . You can see from today’s photos how well placed it is - the food is adequate and reasonably priced. I do need to know the numbers for the meal as soon as possible – I will be booking by Friday 1st June at the latest . If you haven’t already done so, please let me know if you’re going – by posting here, or private message here / facebook. At the moment there could be about 16 but “ Ask “ do need the approximate number.
    Some of you have already firmly committed and arranged accommodation – if you are going I suggest you book it soon. I know others are close enough so they don’t need to stop overnight. Another photo of me – taken today – is not self promotion but just to be sure you at least know what I look like ! You can also see from the photos that there’s a choice of sea cruises, fishing trips, or speed boat rides … and so many other things to do . Look forward to meeting you all - some for the first time, others " old friends " .

Ask

Ask

High(er) cholesterol alternative to Ask

Banned
    I believe there are some good deals on at the moment from Yorkshire Airlines, for those flying in.

Trusted Member
    Talking of the seaside....hope the Doc doesn't get pestered too much:

Ayup...Arthur's arrived.

Ahh reminds me of the story of the woman asking the Scotsman what's worn under his kilt, and he replying nothing's worn, it's all in perfect working order

Trusted Member
    I will book “ Ask “ this week for 8 pm Saturday 23 June. For those who wish, we will meet first at the “ Highlander “ from 5 pm. The rest of the weekend is “ flexible “ - some are arriving Friday and leaving Sunday, others just making it Saturday as a day trip or overnight.
    Thanks to everyone who has responded – either apologies or firm booking ! There are still a lot of “ queries “ - I understand the difficulties of arranging forum meetings . Without knowing the exact number I will take a chance on booking for 16 – losing my deposit if you don’t turn up. If many more do come you may need to queue on the seafront ( our “ Roxas Boulevard “ ) for fish and chips or hot dogs ! It will be busy ! Just over 3 weeks to go !

I may be one of those who queues for fish n chips on the seafront

We both want to join the fun but cannot make definite bookings at this time.

Trusted Member
    I like my fish supper too.

Too tight to use restaurants.

Don't know what I'll do with my usual box of sandwiches.

Respected Member
    I'm getting more jealous by the day!

Trusted Member
    I won't be coming....sorry folks.

I will be attending the Barrio Fiesta in York though.

Sorry for not being in touch for a while, I really must learn some time management techniques.. I'll put it on my 'to do' list ;-)
    I'm still a definite for the weekend Alan.. with a 7 and 5 year old.. The plan of drinks followed by a meal sounds good.. If you haven't included us - could you please? Could do with exchanging phone numbers nearer the time too.. would hate to go all that way and miss you all in the crowd.

Respected Member
    Looks like a daytrip for me on the 23rd, can make the Highlander (I assume the locals will know where that is) for 5.00 but need to be back on the 19.48 to York so Ask is unfortunately out.

Will be at the York barrio too looking for some buang amigos for my asawa

Banned
    Just been talking to a woman at work who visited Scarborough last year. She remarked on how clean and well kept it was.....

We used to have beach holidays in Scarborough when I was 8, 9, 10 years old!

Very sorry that I can't make this event Doc Alan, especially as you have gone to so much trouble to organise it. I had already committed to take my sister-in-law to the Milton Keynes Barrio Fiesta which is on the same date (23rd June) but we can't do that now either.

I hope that the weather brightens up and that you all have a lovely time with lots of fun and laughter

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie1958 View Post

I hope that the weather brightens up and that you all have a lovely time with lots of fun and laughter
    Thank you Rosie .
    I've contacted everyone who's definitely coming, and appreciate your effort .
    Those who have explained why they can't make it, you'll be missed but I understand .
    If you haven't replied to my personal messages and posts here - there's nothing more I can do - but please think ... it's a lost chance to meet other members !

All looking good for me to make it Alan

Not booked anywhere yet, but will leave that to the last minute
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Hi Doc,

I hope i am not to late to attend this weekend. I am sure i can make the Highlander where ever that is, will only be attending by myself though as i am still waiting for my wife's visa to be processed.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Hi Doc,

I hope I am not to late to attend this weekend. I am sure I can make the Highlander where ever that is ...
    Hi Rory, you're not too late, I've just updated the numbers for " Ask " to include yourself
    The Highlander ( hotel, not Arthur Little ) overlooks Scarborough's South Bay and should be easy to find ( http://www.highlanderhotelscarborough.co.uk ). " Ask " is at the harbourside ( http://www.askitalian.co.uk/#!/restaurants/scarborough ) as you can see from my photos.
    Looking forward to seeing everyone here .

Looking forward to this weekend, just hope the rain holds off.

Trusted Member
    There have been some very kind comments here and on the " other " thread which I really appreciate . ( http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....carboroughkend ) .
    Thanks also for the effort which members are making to come to this meeting .
    At the same time, I understand those who can't make it, for whatever reasons.
    Several are arriving late Friday and will be making contact with me when they get here. Most are leaving on Sunday. We will all make the most of the weekend, whatever the weather .
    Safe journey everyone, very much looking forward to meeting you - either again, or for the first time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information