Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Leaving very soon

Hi all,

Been so busy last few weeks getting everything sorted for my wedding in Cebu. I fly out next wednesday for a month, this will be my third visit in the last 12 months.
    I have 2 questions that i hope a few of you here might be able to answer, firstly
    My fiancee is getting stressed out about the cost of the "judge" as she keeps calling them, we call them a priest. she will not tell me the cost and wants me to try and sort the cost out for one when i get there. Now i know most of the people in the Philippines think any guy from the West is rich and they will up the cost but has anyone that got married in the Philippines know a ball park figure for a judge to marry us?
    Secondly,
    I know this has been brought up before but do i just ask for a 59 day visa at immigration/passport control when i am entering the philippines and i will be granted the longer visa along with parting with a few pesos, as easy as that?

The priest for our wedding cost p15000 that was last october. You can get your visa extension in cebu. Good luck to you both.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    The priest for our wedding cost p15000 that was last october. You can get your visa extension in cebu. Good luck to you both.
    Thats seems quite expensive Andy, from what I have heard on here? But ours was about that too....

Thank you for the replies. No wonder she would not tell me the cost.

Andy,
    when you say i can get my Visa extension in Cebu, you do mean at the airport when i land?

Trusted Member
    When I got married at Pasay City Hall in 1991 the 'official' SET FEE (remember the Judge in a civil ceremony is acting as a public servant) was about 200 pesos...YES 200pesos.

Ok, been a bit of inflation since then, but gives you an idea.

He asked for 2,500pesos.

We settled on another figure eventually.

So i have to barter for a good price and they might start at 20,000 + but i should get them down to 15,000
    In a way it is quite funny and in another is it not!!!!!

Trusted Member
    I hope that's for the whole wedding !

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Hi all,

I fly out next wednesday for a month,
    Good luck Rory.. Hope everything goes to plan

Good Luck Rory I hope everything goes well and you have a lovely wedding.

Wishing you a safe & enjoyable month in Cebu, Rory ... have a great !

So i have to barter for a good price and they might start at 20,000 + but i should get them down to 15,000
    In a way it is quite funny and in another is it not!!!!!

No!

Whichever way you look at it you need a person who is authorized to solemnize a marriage.
    This can be a registered solemnising officer, a Judge, Justice of the Peace, Priest, Minister of religion or even the local City Mayor.

The costs that are being bandied about here (P15,000 - P20,000) seem to me to be way way too high.

If that was a 'true cost' then no-one in the Philippines would ever get married.

I may be out of date, but I don't think a Judge can actually charge anything, but they are allowed to receive forms of ex gratia payment /gift payments.
    Traditionally the money is placed inside an envelope and handed over.

You certainly don't have to accept exorbitant silly costs just because you are a rich foreigner. Especially when you are not expecting any special service such as expediting or weekend weddings.
    My advice is to have your fiancee find a lower cost judge or other authorised official.

Costs are not fixed but you can expect to pay something between P1000 - P3000

Eventually the choice is yours. After all you WILL need someone.

Normally you can extend your visa at the airport upon arrival to 59 days.
    Otherwise you need to go to an immigration office. I strongly suggest you extend your visa. If the planning for the wedding has all been done and all your ducks are well lined up then 21 day visa is possible. But in your case it seems a number of things still need to be firmed up so a little 'wriggle room' may be needed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post

The costs that are being bandied about here (P15,000 - P20,000) seem to me to be way way too high.
    Ours included taking any messing about out of our hands. It was quick and easy and we were waived on the seminar which was key to getting everything done in the alloted timeframe. We were going to get it done through an alternative route which was peanuts in comparison but the seminar was a bit of a stumbling block so we had to go for Plan B.

I was quite thankful at the time as I was absolutely clueless on the process, short on preparation time and over here in the UK.

We had our civil wedding ceremony(september 2011) at our city hall officiated by our mayor and it was free of charge.His secretary told us that,it is the mayor's gift to the newly wed.How lucky we were

However,i was told that if you go to a judge,especially if the groom is a foreigner,they charge thousands of pesos which should not be.

Respected Member Eyes O'Donnell's Avatar
    Have a wonderful and safe trip Good luck to you both on your

Thank you for the replies. No wonder she would not tell me the cost.

Andy,
    when you say i can get my Visa extension in Cebu, you do mean at the airport when i land?
    Yes mate when you land or after just ask where immigration is and they will do it for you.

Respected Member
    When I get married we pay 5000 pesos for the judge. 10 to 15k is so expensive.....

Oh, sorry Rory, forgot to say, hope everything works out well and you have a fabulous wedding day and a wonderful future together

God Bless all there

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    If the planning for the wedding has all been done and all your ducks are well lined up then 21 day visa is possible. But in your case it seems a number of things still need to be firmed up so a little 'wriggle room' may be needed.
    We have all our ducks lined up with a day or so in between each duck incase there is a slight hitch. The actual wedding is all booked for the 7th May here http://chateaudebusay.com/index.php?...lery&Itemid=60
    the minimum number they will cater for is 100 and we only have about 65 so if there is any one from here in Cebu on the 7th you are very welcome to come, just let me know beforehand.
    I have also gone over the 21 day stay so we can have a decent honeymoon in Palawan and not be rushing around every day.

Thank you for all your good wishes.

Not sure who else has got married this year with the new rule about the Cenomar, i need originals and photocopies of so many things, even the receipt for the Cenomar's they want

Hi Rory, I fly out of the UK next Wednesday too but to a different destination. I hope that everything goes well for you both and that you have a fabulous wedding and a blissfully happy married life together

Have a safe and comfortable trip

wow, that seems a bit expensive. My friend had a civil wedding at our local city hall, solemnized by our mayor and it cost just a few pesos for the application of license and the officiant fee. less than the price you have mentioned.

Anyways, Congratulations to you and your Bride. Have a safe flight and great trip to Philippines

Spoke to the wedding planner today and she us telling me the judge is looking for 10,000 peso but we can try and knock them down a little.

Thanks Rosie and Smurfette, i am sure we will be very happy together.

Just have a fantastic time Rory, it will be the best day of your life.

Don't forget the photos on your return, I am sure we are all keen to see your special day.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Respected Member
    I hope everything works out I think getting your gf to the uk after you married shall be hard and long process maybe think about getting married in the uk first then phillippines later when she moved in the uk and u both settled.

Thank you for all your good wishes.

Not sure who else has got married this year with the new rule about the Cenomar, i need originals and photocopies of so many things, even the receipt for the Cenomar's they want

Hello rory good day...yes you need your CENOMAR with the receipt as well...we got married last March 5 and we just spend P 300 for the wedding fee and we give P1000 pesos to the judge.I dont think you really need to pay him P 15,000 for solemnizing the wedding...best wishes to your wedding

Thread Information