Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

british passport application

I am wondering if anyone knows the answer to this dilemma.

i have 2 childern in the philippines boy 6 girl 5. i want to apply for british citizenship for both. Can anyone who has done this please explain the process?

Most important though do i the natural father have to be present at anytime during the application? (in philippines?

how long would the process take from start to finish?
    how much would it cost?
    finally i would only have to apply then for my wife spouse visa? not the kids.

can the kids have the right to stay in the uk, without any visa process for them just only my wife, what i mean to say can they just come and settle in uk with me i just get spouse visa for wife.

anyone out there done just this???? my wife has birth certificates, and we have been married since march 2008, further more my wife has visited me on a visit visa in 2010 but she did not bring kids, as maybe they would have refused her application on the lines that they would of not returned to phills...... please advise

I am wondering if anyone knows the answer to this dilemma.

i have 2 childern in the philippines boy 6 girl 5. i want to apply for british citizenship for both. Can anyone who has done this please explain the process?

I'll try
    You need to download the correct form from the UKBA. Go to this website address:

http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/he...e-applications

Most important though do i the natural father have to be present at anytime during the application? (in philippines?
    No, you can do if from here or there as long as you or your wife has all the documents needed

We got ours for our son in 4 weeks, although it can take 6 weeks

how much would it cost?
    See the form from the web address

Yes, as soon as your children have their passports, they are citizens, you only have to apply for your wife's visa

can the kids have the right to stay in the uk, without any visa process for them just only my wife, what i mean to say can they just come and settle in uk with me i just get spouse visa for wife.
    Yes

anyone out there done just this???? my wife has birth certificates, and we have been married since march 2008, further more my wife has visited me on a visit visa in 2010 but she did not bring kids, as maybe they would have refused her application on the lines that they would of not returned to phills...... please advise
    Just follow the form, supply all the correct paperwork and it is striaght forward.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Respected Member
    There are a few paternity declarations on the British Embasy Website, which you'll need to complete and forward to your wife for including in the application. Essentially if they think the application looks straight forward, it will be very easy, if they see any kind of complication they'll ask for more paperwork and proof of relationship documentation.

The initial application still has to be completed at the Embassy in Manila, and the passports are processed in Hong Kong.

Because the Philippines are a high risk country, the are very picky about who they accept for the countersigning of the photos, and dont just accept those on the list. You can ask your Filipino Gynacologist or Peadatrician to countersign the photos and application, and this appears to be the preferred by the Embassy.

Respected Member
    thank you ricky and steve. i very much appreciate your help. you have made that clear and simple.

Steve and Ricky
    That's exactly why this forum is so good.

Respected Member
    Steve. There was something about if the child was born before 2006 and parents not married that was slightly more difficult. My boy was born march 2006 my girl feb 2007. We did not get married until march 2008. Do you know if there is any complication here.?
    Ta
    sheldon

To my knowledge, you have to prove that you were with the mother for the conception of the child, by means of stamps in the passport for that time, proof of relationship, name on NSO birth certificate etc etc. I think there is an area in the guidence notes for that scenario.

http://centralcontent.fco.gov.uk/res...m-c2-notes.pdf

These are the guidence notes, maybe Terpe can define it for us to make it 100% clear

Sheldon, you shouldn't really have any issues.

Here's the latest UKBA page

Key sections are:-

Concerning your daughter

Since 1 July 2006 both parents are able to pass on their British citizenship to their children even if they are not married providing there is satisfactory evidence of paternity
    Concerning your Son
    We will normally register any child born before 1 July 2006 to a father who is a British citizen father under section 3(1) if the requirements below are met:
    we are satisfied about the paternity of the child; and
    we have the consent of all those with parental responsibility; and
    we are satisfied that if the parents were married:

- the child would have an automatic claim to British citizenship; or
    - the child would have an entitlement to registration under sections 1(3), 3(2) or sections 3(5) of the British Nationality Act 1981; or
    - we would normally have registered the child under section 3(1)
    Please follow the above link and read the full page for other important details.

I take it you are British Citizen "otherwise than by descent"?

Just for interest here's the BN4 - BRITISH CITIZENSHIP - CHILDREN BORN OUTSIDE THE UNITED KINGDOM SINCE 1 JANUARY 1983

It can be a little bit confusing and heavy going but it does explain all the different options in some detail.
    You'll notice that this document also explains that being unmarried at the time of birth may not be a barrier given the correct paperwork.

It's never easy to make some things 100% clear when there are so many permutations of facts, and then they all get mixed up for a discetionary decision by the Embassy

I would be sure to get (or prepare to get) whatever documentary evidence you can, then have a chat with the Embassy before actually making the application. Not because of any doubts , but rather just to avoid any unnecessary costs and delays.

Respected Member
    steve can you answer this compulsory documents born before 1st july 2006 (my boy march 4 2006) must sign declarations of paternity in front of consular officer/ father must sign domicile questioniaire? this was last revised october 2009?? can you explain this ??

I'll try
    You need to download the correct form from the UKBA. Go to this website address:

http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/he...e-applications

No, you can do if from here or there as long as you or your wife has all the documents needed

We got ours for our son in 4 weeks, although it can take 6 weeks

how much would it cost?
    See the form from the web address

Yes, as soon as your children have their passports, they are citizens, you only have to apply for your wife's visa

Yes

Just follow the form, supply all the correct paperwork and it is striaght forward.
    ..[/QUOTE]

Hi I am not sure it will help... but my daughter was born June 2005, (gave birth in Phils) we first arrived in UK Sept 2005 using her Philippine passport as tourist , me and my husband was not married at that time and I didn't know anything about applying for her british passport,.. and then while we're here my husband applied for her passport and after 4 weeks we got it.. they just asked for my husbands passport , birth certificate of the child and then thats it . we go back to the Philippines get married and then applied for a spouse visa ..
    not so sure about new rules now though..

Quote Originally Posted by sheldon1 View Post
    steve can you answer this compulsory documents born before 1st july 2006 (my boy march 4 2006) must sign declarations of paternity in front of consular officer/ father must sign domicile questioniaire? this was last revised october 2009?? can you explain this ??
    Sorry Sheldon, I can't. I have not heard of this questionaire or the declaration. Maybe Terpe can shine some light on that one.

Thread Information