Excuse me, just calling in to introduce myself like this. Actually since yesterday I’ve been lodging with the ‘Introduce Yourself’ people next door but strolling around the site today I thought I’d just poke my nose in because you seem to be extremely enthusiastic about food. As am I. Truth is I’m not much of a cook myself but I do like good, well-prepared food.

Anyway I thought this extract from my ebook, A VIRGIN IN THE PHILIPPINES, might fit in here. When I was writing I tried to work out how to describe Filipino food in simple terms without making it look like a recipe book. You know what I mean, a list of dishes with ingredients in detail. Well, I wasn’t after that kind of description.

Fortunately, my step-daughter’s boy friend, Aubrey, was with us. He’s a great big bear of a man, always cheerful, always prompt at mealtimes, and the way he tackled every dish put before him gave me the idea of how to present to readers the variety of Filipino home cooking.

So here’s Aubrey, his spoon and fork at the ready, anticipating and I write:.

…I think Aubrey must be the perfect guest. Any woman who cooks for him must be delighted at his responses.

'Is the chicken adobo all right, Aubrey?'

'Yeah, great.'

'A little more?'

Chicken thighs, white vinegar, soy sauce, peppercorns and bay leaves – just up his street.

'Oh, yes, please. Rather.'

Same reply if it's Perli's home-made longanisas from the market. Can't beat a strong flavoured sausage as far as Aubrey is concerned.

'Sinigang, Aubrey?'

Doesn't he just love that seafood in sour broth?

Tapa? Caldereta? Mechado? All different beef or pork options.

'Aubrey, some more...?'

No need to finish the sentence. We know without any question what he's going to say..

'Chicken pinola today, Aubrey. It's in soup with vegetables and ginger....'

Just lead him to it.

On the table at lunch and supper there are usually at least two and sometimes three kinds of meat and Aubrey never lets his hostess down. He is a godsend for he enjoys every meal without exception. It seems impossible for him to be served an indifferent dish. I have never seen such reckless enthusiasm for food. And we all smile indulgently.

Well, back to ‘Introduce Yourself.’ Bye…