Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Cool Britain’s Beautiful Beaches

The UK may have some of the world's most beautiful beaches.
    Britain is an island with around 7,800 miles of coast. It's said that where ever you live you're no more than 2 two hours from a beach.

Whilst it's true that the UK beaches may not always be best for sunbathing, and despite being warmed by the Gulf Stream the seas still remain pretty chilly,
    at least they can make up for that by providing British beauty and dramatic seascapes.
    Anyone interested in exploring, rambling, photography, surfing, natural beauty and wildlife can find some of the most stunning and remote beaches anywhere
    in the world.

Here's just a few:-

St Bees, Cumbria

A truly beautiful stretch of shingle and sand backed by a series of low cliffs, St Bees is an excellent place to go for a quiet day of contemplation.
    There are a fascinating array of shells and stones to pick through here, many of them caused by the continual erosion of the cliff face. It also marks the start of Wainwright's Coast-to-Coast route, which stretches from here to Robin Hood's Bay, in North Yorkshire.

Pedn Vounder Beach, West Cornwall

On one of Cornwall's most remote and stunning shorelines, the north coast of the Penwith Peninsula, Pedn Vounder is a quiet, sandy little cove that can only be reached by boat or after a 15-minute walk from the village of Treen. Its seclusion and privacy - especially when high tide completely cuts it off from neighbouring beaches - means that it is popular with naturists. The pretty Treryn Dinas cliffs, which stretch out along the east of the beach, overlook the blue Atlantic; among them is The Logan Rock, a 70 ton block of granite which can be rocked by human force

Durdle Door, Dorset

On the Jurassic Coast, Durdle Door is the name of the limestone arch between two lovely beaches, St Oswald's Bay and Man O'War Cove. Even on the hottest days in the height of summer they won't get overcrowded; to get here you need to climb down several hundred steps in the cliff (and it's a long walk back up to the loo or to get your sandwiches).
    But it's worth the climb. It is a beautiful spot, sheltered from the wind and so striking that it has been chosen as a location for Far From the Madding Crowd and Wilde, for Pink Floyd artwork, and Cliff Richard, Bruce Dickinson and Tears for Fears videos. The sea is unexpectedly blue and crystal-clear - though breathtakingly cold, drawing gasps from even the bravest bathers.
    Lulworth Cove, less than a mile away, is more popular with families, being easier to get to with facilities nearby, plus a couple of inns overlooking the cove.

Barafundle Bay, Pembrokeshire

This corner of Wales has a wonderful stretch of coast and sandy beaches. Try beautiful Barafundle Bay, reached after an invigorating half-hour romp across the clifftops, which ensures it stays relatively quiet (too far to push buggies over those hillocks) even in summer, and out of season you can often have the place to yourself, save a few surfers who brave the brisk Irish Sea all year round. Take a picnic, as there's nowhere to buy food and drink (oh, and no loos either)

Achmelvich Beach, Highlands

Among the little islands and coves of the west coast of Scotland can be found countless beautiful beaches. Some are wild stretches of sand, some sheltered bays with turquoise sea when the sun shines, and almost all are free from crowds, pollution and noise.
    In the far north-west of the Highlands, Achmelvich has a series of lovely, intimate beaches backed by a picturesque, flowering landscape. It offers clean white sands (no dogs in summer holidays), clear, safe waters where porpoises swim in summer, an annual sandcastle-building competition and Europe's tiniest castle, Hermit's Castle.

Oddicome, Torquay

Sheltered by a rugged group of red sandstone cliffs, this serene shingle beach near Torquay is the perfect place to rent a boat and set sail in the sunshine. There's plenty to do and plenty to spot here, but if you want to see it all with a panoramic view to boot, take the cliff railway down from the peak to the shore. If you're feeling energetic, try climbing the steep cliff steps cut into the rockface too.

Woolacombe Sands, Devon

With two and a half miles of golden beach backed by voluminous dunes and fronted by rolling Atlantic breaks, Woolacombe Sands is a surfer's paradise. It is one of the most popular beaches in Britain, and with such fantastic water conditions, is a great place to take the family. The nearest town is Ilfracombe.

South Bay, Scarborough

Legend has it that Scarborough, in North Yorkshire, was one of the world's original spas: pilgrims from as early as 1611 would come from miles around to bathe in the sea, the waters of which were thought to have peculiar healing properties. Today, the beach is just as picturesque as ever, with plenty of attractions to keep you occupied. Be sure to explore the 11th-century ruins of Scarborough Castle, which separates South Bay from its equally stunning sibling, North Bay.

Cromer Beach, North Norfolk

If you're looking for a traditional seaside experience, Norfolk has them in abundance. From promenading along the pier to watching a puppet show in the theatre pavilion, or taking a ride at the fun fare, Cromer Beach is the place to go for a truly British beach holiday. Look out for the famous Cromer crabs that lurk in the pools left behind by the tide - they're world-renowned for their quality and flavour.

Ventnor, Isle of Wight

This beautiful stretch on the south coast of the Isle of Wight is the perfect place for a lazy day in the sun. Navigate the winding roads down through the cliffs and the Victorian town they protect, through the cascading gardens and onto the golden beach front. This is not a swimmable beach: there are too many rocks, and the tide is quite strong. But it's worth a visit just for the walk down.

Filey Brigg, North Yorkshire

The best part of this sandy beach is the wildlife. Trek out to the north and find Filey Brigg: a stretch of stony land that protrudes out into the ocean, and is teeming with rock pools to explore. There's also the sculpture trail along the beach, and a series of colourful chalets dotted along the coastline that are available to rent - the ideal place to stay for a peaceful summer holiday by the sea

Sheringham, North Norfolk

From the fantastic local produce, to the luxury accommodation, and the outstanding coastal walks, Sheringham is a truly romantic retreat by the sea. At low-tide, there are long stretches interspersed by stones and plenty of rock pools to inspect for wildlife. It retains the feel of an old-fashioned seaside village too, and you can buy fresh fish anywhere - even in the pubs.

Sandbanks Beach, Dorset

A huge, sloping stretch of fine, golden sand marks the shoreline of this popular beach front, with perfectly clean, swimmers-only bathing areas, and designated barbecue sites for feasts with family and friends. The beach has held its European Blue Flag award for more than 22 years, making it one of the safest and most scenic beaches in Britain.

Sennen Cove, Cornwall

This scenic little cove, just a mile north-east of Land's End, still maintains the atmosphere of an old fishing village. Years ago, it was thought that mermaids frequented the shores. Years later, the mermaids actually turned out to be dolphins, which can still be seen frolicking in the deep blue waters at certain times of year

Whitley Bay, Tyne and Wear

This stunning beach front was originally a famous Victorian holiday resort, complete with a traditional funfair and bathing area. Now, it is still a popular holiday destination for locals, who come here to swim in the clean, safe waters.

Polzeath, Cornwall

This haven for surfers and water sports enthusiasts was the favourite place of the late poet laureate Sir John Betjeman, and it's not hard to see why. Scattered with sand and shingles, studded with rock pools, and backed by a stunning wall of rock, Polzeath is an incredibly picturesque location. The only downside is the rip tide: great for water sports, but not suitable for children to swim in.

Source based on:-
    http://www.cntraveller.com/recommend...s-best-beaches
    Last edited by raynaputi; 21st March 2012 at 21:58. Reason: changed image code of 2 photos to be viewable

Sheringham beach in norfolk & Sanbanks beach dorset....I have been fishing on many a day & night

AN HAPPY WIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE

yu are right , great beaches, cold seas, but the best thing about these pictures, not many people on them, thats the only problem with our beaches, to crowded and lots of prats on them, just my thought, dont want to offend anyone

I guess I am lucky living near the Jurassic Coast. I must point out that Durdle Door was also in the movie Nanny McPhee. Also, Durdle Door is a naturist beach Sandbanks is also a naturist beach

Another beach that is breathtaking is the Chesil Beach. It is the world's longest shingle beach. Starting at Chesil Cove on the Isle of Portland ir runs for over 25 miles to Lyme Regis. The fascinating thing about the Chesil is that the shingle (pebbles) are graduated in size from one end to the other. Large at the Portland end going to sand at the other.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    I guess I am lucky living near the Jurassic Coast. I must point out that Durdle Door was also in the movie Nanny McPhee. Also, Durdle Door is a naturist beach Sandbanks is also a naturist beach

Another beach that is breathtaking is the Chesil Beach. It is the world's longest shingle beach. Starting at Chesil Cove on the Isle of Portland ir runs for over 25 miles to Lyme Regis. The fascinating thing about the Chesil is that the shingle (pebbles) are graduated in size from one end to the other. Large at the Portland end going to sand at the other.
    Wahhhh! Lucky man.

the beaches in CORNWALL is exceptional on my own view..it look nearly to the PH beaches it just the temp is of the water is horrifying
    like today on the LOOE BEACH in Cornwall

enjoying the famous tea

scones and clotted cream
    A place for everything, everything in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by Moy View Post
    ....it just the temp is of the water is horrifying.....
    Hahaha..... Yes Moy it's true.

Filey Brigg, North Yorkshire , i know filey very well my parents favourite place for our family holiday, iv walked that brigg often

secondly was Scarborough,
    and i always liked whitby

and some very isolated beutiful not so well known beaches where i live now, just 10 mins drive at the most,
    rattray beach,

rattray beach

and scotstown beach

The beauty of British beaches, clear skies, smooth sand, crystal blue water ....

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

You can keep them. Give me Boracay Bohol and palawan any day of the week.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    The beauty of British beaches, clear skies, smooth sand, crystal blue water ....

that picture looks like most of the beaches in the philipines, only not so much litter.

Respected Member
    For me now its uk holiday every time, ive been to many different countries all nice but England by the beach with your wife and kids you just cant beat it..

Not sure at the moment, east midlands, rice farm or manila
    Skegness is the closest to us, strange how it doesn't feature on any of these lists!
    It's been emontional

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post

The Jurassic Coast. Yes. Kimmeridge Bay and all that. I spent a bit of time in Weymouth many years ago, aswell as a good few places in the vicinity.

Banned
    Of course here we are never more than 5 miles from the sea. Douglas beach here is just across the road. And there are some good beaches here. But yes, somewhat chilled down by the sea, despite the effect of the Gulf Stream - keeps us from freezing in the winter but cools us down a bit in the summer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Moy View Post
    scones and clotted cream
    Nothing like it!

Trusted Member
    Big and beautiful Bridlington Beach:

Attachment 6186

Colossal Cleethorpes beach.
    Attachment 6187

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post

Looks like an oil rig in the distance.....

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post

It's said that where ever you live you're no more than 2 two hours from a beach.
    That's true! However, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned any of the beautiful Scottish beaches ... of which there is an abundance. Whilst St Andrews, in Fife, immediately springs to mind ... there are literally hundreds dotted around the coastline.

Banned
    Big and beautiful Bridlington Beach:

Attachment 6186

Attachment 6187
    Are they near Skipsea ?

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Looks like an oil rig in the distance.....
    Gas, I think.

It's about 3 miles or more away though.

The beach is a bit like Morcambe Bay, where the tide goes so far out you can hardly see the edge of the sea. Amazing.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Are they near Skipsea ?
    Cleethorpes/Grimsby sit the other side of the the Humber Estuary....opposite Hull.

Skipsea is a tiny place between Bridlington and Hull ....famous for coastal erosion, houses falling into the sea etc.

Hornsea is not far from there too...famous for its pottery.

I'm always driving up and down that coast road (A165) when at work.

Banned
    Cleethorpes/Grimsby sit the other side of the the Humber Estuary....opposite Hull.

Skipsea is a tiny place between Bridlington and Hull ....famous for coastal erosion, houses falling into the sea etc.

Hornsea is not far from there too...famous for its pottery.

I'm always driving up and down that coast road (A165) when at work.
    Hornsea pottery. Famous for its squirrels and all that. I know the stuff.....

Banned
    I used to fly out of Easington for a while. BP were based there.

Trusted Member
    Yes, you can take a tour around the place and see how the stuff is made.

It's very accessible and in a scenic place....not in town. Looks a bit like a garden centre set back from the road, with shop, cafe etc. In case you're ever up that way

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    That's true! However, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned any of the beautiful Scottish beaches ... of which there is an abundance. Whilst St Andrews, in Fife, immediately springs to mind ... there are literally hundreds dotted around the coastline.
    Its my recollection, Arthur, that there is a cracking beach at Montrose.....

ahh ummm i did arthur not so well known beutiful and quite solitude, rattray beach and scotstown beach between peterhead and fraserbugh, , i even put photos #8

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    ahh ummm i did arthur not so well known beutiful and quite solitude, rattray beach and scotstown beach between peterhead and fraserbugh, , i even put photos #8
    , Stewart ... guess it's time for me to visit Specsavers!

, Stewart ... guess it's time for me to visit Specsavers!
    you can borrow mine Arthur .

big photos but guess i didnt name them loud enough

Thread Information