Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Respected Member South-east boy's Avatar

Ruby Wax meets Imelda Marcos on BBC 4 at 11pm tonight

Just in case you might want to watch this! Was filmed back in 1996, 5 years after she returned following the ban against her.

*Edit-Title should read 'Imelda', not ielda! Lol! Not able to edit the title!

Banned
    Nice tip. Thanks.

Respected Member
    Bumped into her a few years ago literally, with her bodyguards the men in black...in a shoe shop in Glorietta mall, Makati
    Noticed shes very tall...she wasn't even standing on her money

Is this the episode with Ruby Wax when she sings?

I was at NAIA in November 1991 when she returned from exile

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tanga View Post
    Bumped into her a few years ago literally, with her bodyguards the men in black...in a shoe shop in Glorietta mall, Makati
    Noticed shes very tall...she wasn't even standing on her money

Is this the episode with Ruby Wax when she sings?

I was at NAIA in November 1991 when she returned from exile
    Watched it.

Yes. That is the one, when she sings and Ruby takes the urine out of her. I watched a lot of Ruby Wax when she was on the beeb but I dont recall the interview with Imelda ( I didnt have a special interest in the Philippines, then, that I have now). Yes. She came across as tall in the program but then Ruby Wax is short.

supposed quotes by Imelda

Filipinos want beauty. I have to look beautiful so that the poor Filipinos will have a star to look at from their slums.

I get so tired listening to one million dollars here, one million dollars there, it's so petty.

If you know how rich you are, you are not rich. But me, I am not aware of the extent of my wealth. That's how rich we are.

Never dress down for the poor. They won't respect you for it. They want their First Lady to look like a million dollars.

People say I'm extravagant because I want to be surrounded by beauty. But tell me, who wants to be surrounded by garbage?
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    My wife explained to me that she describes ,in Tagalog, Ruby as a machine gun with her questions.....I dont think she was comfortable with Ruby.....

Trusted Member
    I've seen the programme before....and read the book 'Imelda'.

I'm afraid the woman and her cronies disgust me.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    I have a friend who's related to the Marcos family, and she told me that most of them do not really like Imelda and blamed her for what happened to Ferdinand Marcos..
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

she's like a 'Marmite''...love her or hate her...but i like her,...I'm a Martial Law baby and can say that during those times Philippines is much better than it is today
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Trusted Member
    A lot of expats have told me the same....better for SOME people.

It's the flaunting of such wealth and extravagance in a country of such grinding poverty that I find totally unacceptable.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    A lot of expats have told me the same....better for SOME people.

It's the flaunting of such wealth and extravagance in a country of such grinding poverty that I find totally unacceptable.
    Well said.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    supposed quotes by Imelda

Filipinos want beauty. I have to look beautiful so that the poor Filipinos will have a star to look at from their slums.

I get so tired listening to one million dollars here, one million dollars there, it's so petty.

If you know how rich you are, you are not rich. But me, I am not aware of the extent of my wealth. That's how rich we are.

Never dress down for the poor. They won't respect you for it. They want their First Lady to look like a million dollars.

People say I'm extravagant because I want to be surrounded by beauty. But tell me, who wants to be surrounded by garbage?
    I notice you say "supposed quotes". Did she actually say them?

I also noticed Ruby trying to entice her to say something like that......

"Let them eat cake she said, just like Marie Antoinette" - oh thats Queen, wrong thread.....

Thanks should be interesting viewing

AN HAPPY WIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    My wife explained to me that she describes ,in Tagalog, Ruby as a machine gun with her questions .....I dont think she was comfortable with Ruby.....
    ... ... that's the impression I got! Ruby Wax was being a pain in the and, frankly, I'm surprised the former First Lady managed the good grace to put up with her interviewer's inane barrage of questions, mannerisms and facial expressions ...

... love her or loathe her [Imelda Marcos] ... it would've been nice to have had the chance to listen to what SHE had to say - without the constant, noisy interruptions ...

Respected Member
    Watched an interview on BBC world a few months ago. Cant remember the title but it was a travel programe I think. She took the interviewer round her condo in The Fort pointing out her collection of Cezane, Pizaro, paintings hanging on the wall and showed some documents relating to the Marcos wealth but snatched them back when they tried to film the contents
    She was also interviewed on Hidden Cities of Asia recently on Nat Geo channel
    http://chuvaness.com/tag/imelda-marcos/

Banned
    Watched an interview on BBC world a few months ago. Cant remember the title but it was a travel programe I think. She took the interviewer round her condo in The Fort pointing out her collection of Cezane, Pizaro, paintings hanging on the wall and showed some documents relating to the Marcos wealth but snatched them back when they tried to film the contents
    She was also interviewed on Hidden Cities of Asia recently on Nat Geo channel
    http://chuvaness.com/tag/imelda-marcos/
    Yes. Makes you wonder where most of the stolen art ends up....

i like her...she stands for what she really believes....unlike other politician being two faced! Many may find her quotes unacceptable but in reality its true as woman we always wanted to be glam and beautiful and she is no exception...

Banned
    Not just about her shoes. More of an insight into Imelda.

Respected Member
    i like her...she stands for what she really believes....unlike other politician being two faced! Many may find her quotes unacceptable but in reality its true as woman we always wanted to be glam and beautiful and she is no exception...

Dont get me going gparry2007

Imelda cried her eyes out on Tv saying she is broke and living on her late hubands pension of $90 a week.
    This was just before her "modest" birthday party at the Sofitel and just after she moved into her large
    penthouse condominium in The Fort,with old masters adorning the walls and from where she holds court
    to any journalist and tv crew that will give her airtime

She makes well publicised shopping trips to Binondo and Divisoria with her security entourage to show how
    she advocates the plight of the poor. This is after a lifetime of jetting round the world to shop in the most affluent
    and exclusive stores.

She totally fails to recognise the human rights abuses, the torture and enforced disappearances during the Marcos
    era. Her interpretation of greed has be seen to be believed
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6jgabWYPHo

Trusted Member
    I agree.

She is an abomination, and represents all that is wrong with the Philippine ruling classes.

Dont get me going gparry2007

Imelda cried her eyes out on Tv saying she is broke and living on her late hubands pension of $90 a week.
    This was just before her "modest" birthday party at the Sofitel and just after she moved into her large
    penthouse condominium in The Fort,with old masters adorning the walls and from where she holds court
    to any journalist and tv crew that will give her airtime

She makes well publicised shopping trips to Binondo and Divisoria with her security entourage to show how
    she advocates the plight of the poor. This is after a lifetime of jetting round the world to shop in the most affluent
    and exclusive stores.

She totally fails to recognise the human rights abuses, the torture and enforced disappearances during the Marcos
    era. Her interpretation of greed has be seen to be believed
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6jgabWYPHo
    whats the connection of her going to divisoria and living on her husbands pension about her being glam and fab. ( Joebloggs quote)
    Tanga go as u wish...you've got ur opinion and so do i . AMEN!

I wonder how many executions she personally ordered during martial law amongst the other 1000`s that were tortured raped and murdered on their behalf?
    Its a shame that this bitch believes in Heaven as I believe she will go straight to hell!
    Along with her beloved..

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gparry2007 View Post
    What does Imelda stand for other than Imelda?
    She champions the plight of the poor whilst living in opulence
    Her extravagances are well documented
    Does she think the life of the poor will be enhanced by her as role model?
    She is just another Marie Antoinette from the same stable as Ceausescu,
    Papa Doc,Mobuto, Abacha etc
    She is no Mother Theresa.
    It is the ill-informed masses from the most vulnerable segments of society that support the Imeldas of this world and vote action movie stars into office in the belief that it will improve their life.
    In reality it can have the opposite effect.

gparry2007.You can disagree but that's my opinion. Amen

Banned
    The problem with the TV program is that you are left not being sure if it is a case of Ruby Wax just mischief making and Imelda is a true lady, or whether there is truth in all of the rumoured quotes...

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    The problem with the TV program is that you are left not being sure if it is a case of Ruby Wax just mischief making and Imelda is a true lady, or whether there is truth in all of the rumoured quotes...
    true!!! all are just hear say until proven guilty!!!......i myself is a martial law baby..grew up under marcos regime and all i can say is life was good back then.

true!!! all are just hear say until proven guilty!!!......i myself is a martial law baby..grew up under marcos regime and all i can say is life was good back then.
    I was here as a teenager back then and was often warned by those older than me to keep my mouth shut as the questions I asked were dangerous daw..
    I was here until the revolution arrived and have often since thought myself lucky to have survived those dark days..
    For those that died at their bequest I have nothing but pity and sympathy..
    For those that lived through those times in ignorance..I feel pity also.
    At last... I live here in peace.

Respected Member
    I have encountered many intelligent and professional people in Philippines who say that they preferred life under Ferdinand Marcos. The corruption was less widespread, mainly centered round Marcos and his cronies in those days and the country was certainly a lot safer(as long as you did not p**s off the president) KFR groups and violent criminals had a fear of the law and violence against women was dealt with harshly. Death penalty was still on the statute.

However,I have to say that i have met few people that can say anything good about Imelda. Many believe that she was the cause of her husband's downfall and were disgusted by her flagrant flaunting of wealth and opulence whilst many suffered.

My wife grew up in the dark days of martial law and detests vehemently everything about the Marcoses.
    Freedom was restricted,there was nightly curfew and merely gathering in a group in a public place was an offence. Even young women were required to do military training.

But to some Life was good back then

History will judge the Marcoses but I feel the epitaph will not be kind

Banned
    Yes. Some people quite liked the Gaddafi years in Libya but.....

Freedom was restricted,there was nightly curfew
    The reason most women preferred martial law, particularly those married to wealthy men was because the men had to be home early which meant they could spent less time with their mistresses.

No joke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information