Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is Insect Repellent cheaper and Better In Philippines than in UK?

I am wondering (to avoid filling up baggage space and needless expense) if it is cheaper to buy insect repellent in Philippine stores or buy in UK first?

Can I buy 50% deet repellent in Philippines? I understand that "OFF" is only 25% deet.

yes buy here in PI very cheap.. i recommend OFF Lotion.

OFF! Overtime insect repellent lotion is good for mosquito, especially at nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1984 View Post
    yes buy here in PI very cheap.. i recommend OFF Lotion.
    does it work on scousers too
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    does it work on scousers to
    That's Eff Off lotion Joe

Banned
    I stupidly took some out in my hand baggage and of course it was taken off me before even boarding my flight

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    I stupidly took some out in my hand baggage and of course it was taken off me before even boarding my flight
    Is it supposed to be put in the cargo baggage? What did you do?

is 25% deet enough to protect from bites during a say 6-7 hour sleep?

Again, I must say that you are going over the top even paranoid about mosquitos in Phils. I am the first to admit that I hate the things, but if you are aware of them and how to protect yourself then you will be fine. I would never spray myself before bed with a repellant, I just use a mozzie net for a double bed that I got from Boots, or one I ordered from an online shop. Do you really want to go to bed all sticky from repellant when you want to cuddle your lady ?? It dont taste good
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Hello Jason, you can use OFF lotion for overnight. when my partner stay with me i used him an Off lotion and we use mosquito net.
    OFF Lotion - its provide up to 8 hours, continuous protections from dengue - carrying mosquitoes. its perfectly for daily use. an had a DermaCool formula feels cool on your skin.

oh i want to share something! a spray for the house that will kill everything and has a nice smell.... lol (i dont sound too excited there?) my husband and i often buy baygon spray for mosquitoes but it dont work and too dear to use everytime,,u myt want to try the chinese sprays it will kill every creepy flying thing even a huge cockroach if there is! ask ur wife if she knows that big bottle chinese spray that cost 99 peso? it is worth it believe me,ants wont even crawl in your room! it has a nicer smell than baygon too... iv got spray here name is baolilai colour yellow spray..just try it it works well only 99!! lol (i sound like im selling it)

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    oh i want to share something! a spray for the house that will kill everything and has a nice smell.... lol (i dont sound too excited there?) my husband and i often buy baygon spray for mosquitoes but it dont work and too dear to use everytime,,u myt want to try the chinese sprays it will kill every creepy flying thing even a huge cockroach if there is! ask ur wife if she knows that big bottle chinese spray that cost 99 peso? it is worth it believe me,ants wont even crawl in your room! it has a nicer smell than baygon too... iv got spray here name is baolilai colour yellow spray..just try it it works well only 99!! lol (i sound like im selling it)
    Not selling, just good advice thank you. We use Baygon too, but like you say, not the best smell.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Jo View Post
    Is it supposed to be put in the cargo baggage? What did you do?
    Yes. Okay in cargo baggage....I believe.

When I got out to Phils I didnt bother buying any as my wife told me not to bother. I anticipated buying one of those electronic plug in gadgets but didnt buy one in the end, partly for the same reason and partly as I didnt see any about when I was in Phils.

Banned
    Watch out as the most effective repellants can be none too good for humans ......an advantage of buying in the UK is that you will at least buy a repellant that isnt going to affect you or your family adversely.

Banned
    I am wondering (to avoid filling up baggage space and needless expense) if it is cheaper to buy insect repellent in Philippine stores or buy in UK first?
    Are you talking about industrial quantities or personal use type amounts ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Are you talking about industrial quantities or personal use type amounts ?
    I read that each person needs about 60mls per week of 50% deet. Therefore, I will need to get about 600mls

I read that each person needs about 60mls per week of 50% deet. Therefore, I will need to get about 600mls
    Are you going to be drinking the stuff, bathing in it or using it as a lubricant???

Enough of the joking Jo, fun while it lasted. One bottle of Jungle formula is enough for a 2 week stay.

Here is a link to all you need for your holiday:

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/jungl...ay_1_6512.html

Maybe someone is telling you porkies or you are a bit gullable

Am I risking getting dengue or anything else, I never use any repellent sprays. I do get a few bites but not many when I am there.
    I do not wear open shoes and always wear Jeans and never shorts when out. Good advise about the mozzle net as I used to stay in hotels there but have an apartment there now with no air con.

Nothing in life is risk free Rory, take the precautions that you feel necessary. Doc Alan has posted lots of threads telling us all about the risks of Malaria and Denge. Taking no precautions for me would be a risk, one bite can be all it takes.

Trusted Member
    Here ( once again ) are the links and advice which I provided on the thread about visiting Luzon *:- http://filipinaroses.com/sh...ngue-Fever-Map
    http://filipinaroses.com/sh...ee-for-5-Years
    http://filipinaroses.com/sh...ut-be-patient-!
    http://filipinaroses.com/sh...to-Philippines
    You should also read this month's advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office ( FCO ) :- http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...ia/philippines
    Of course it’s important to get things in perspective. Most visits to the Philippines are safe if you’re well prepared, and plan several weeks before you go.

* http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....zon?highlight=

Banned
    I think this and the OP's other thread about malaria in Luzon are p1ss takes

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    I think this and the OP's other thread about malaria in Luzon are p1ss takes
    You're probably right Ded . I just hope those links are useful to other members. I do understand that many members read them even if they don't post responses .

Trusted Member
    Also depends on time of year and location.

I've just got back, and have to say not even one mossie bite......sitting about bare-legged and arms too. I never use any kind of repellent, just rely on my natural unwashed stench of BO, stale beer and cigs to see the little critters off.

Works for me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Also depends on time of year and location.

I've just got back, and have to say not even one mossie bite......sitting about bare-legged and arms too. I never use any kind of repellent, just rely on my natural unwashed stench of BO, stale beer and cigs to see the little critters off.

Works for me.
    It's my understanding that they only go for good blood Graham...

Banned
    Also they tend to like stagnant water and in the Philippines, it seems, it rains too often, is too windy and the rainwater runs off the land so fast it doesnt get enough time to lay stagnant...

Trusted Member

Seriously though, I wonder if one does build up some sort of natural repellent to them, as over the years I've found that they've troubled me less and less.

I'd bought some 'rubbing alcohol', but had no need of it at all this time.

Banned
    My ex wife is Scottish and on occasion we would visit Scotland for a holiday. If so, it was her that got bitten and not me. Same elsewhere. On holiday in Portugal, she got bitten and not me.

She fell ill in Portugal after being bitten by mosquitos and she found out that mosquitos detect their feed over great distances. We joked about them flying in from North Africa, for a feeding frenzy on her fine blood, in the Algarve.

I dont know if the gist of this is simply an old (ex) wives tail or if its true but I think there is some truth to it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post

Seriously though, I wonder if one does build up some sort of natural repellent to them, as over the years I've found that they've troubled me less and less.
    My current wife always says there is no need for anti malaria medication for her and her family in the Philippines and presumably it is because they build up immunity against bites etc.

Trusted Member
    Well in the province the youngest kids seem to get attacked by them (hence all the scars on them from picking the bites), but not so much the adults.

Interesting.

Banned
    A lot of people I came across in the oil industry that worked in far flung places said that Tonic water worked well. Few wanted to take anti maria tablets because of the side effects. Goes back to times in India and all that. But I read just recently that that is just a myth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information