Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Philippine Tourists Spots in Luzon

Hi Everyone

Newbie here.

I will be travelling to Philippines in one week spending 3 weeks there. I will be focussed on staying in Luzon.

For various reasons (long story) I do not want to take anti malarial tablets but will cover up with repellant.

I read the following:
    "anti malrial tablets are recommended for rural areas at altitudes less than 600 m (1,969 ft) on the islands of Luzon

Does that include beaches and other popular tourist resorts which are obviously below 600 metres?

I am trying to plan my itinerary of places to visit but do not know which places are malaria free. What rule of thumb should I use?

For example what about the hundred Islands and rafting or swimming there?

Does anybody have a list of good tourists spots in LUZON Islands (which have "safe" hotels, reasonably priced) which do not require the tablets?

Thanks so much
    Jason

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    take a look at this and it will give you ideas about areas in the Philippines relating to malaria..

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....ngue-Fever-Map
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    take a look at this and it will give you ideas about areas in the Philippines relating malaria..

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....ngue-Fever-Map
    Thanks for that. Actually I already saw that map. It doesn't help because it doesn't tell me where the specific safe tourist spots are or answer my other questions. I did try to use it but could not get the answers to my questions. Thanks for trying though!

Banned
    Interesting. I wonder why Samar and Cebu is low risk for malaria?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Jo View Post

Does anybody have a list of good tourists spots in LUZON Islands (which have "safe" hotels, reasonably priced) which do not require the tablets?

Thanks so much
    Jason
    For a family? You could try Island Cove in Cavite.

I am interested to see what others say on this. I emailed relevant persons on malaria risk in Samar and was told malaria had been eliminated there. I assumed from that, that malaria was absent everywhere in Phils so during my two trips last year to Manila and Cavite I took no anti malaria precautions whatsoever. I never did get bitten and never got malaria.

Respected Member

Sheriel from Leyte

Hello Jason Jo, when we travel to Philippines ,to avoid being eaten by Mosquito,Boots Chemist sell wrist bands containing Chemical that prevents any bites from Mosquito,they look like cheap plastic watch,they are only about £5 for two,and will be your best freind in the Philippines.

Thanks for that. Actually I already saw that map. It doesn't help because it doesn't tell me where the specific safe tourist spots are or answer my other questions. I did try to use it but could not get the answers to my questions. Thanks for trying though!
    I don't know if there is a specific map or documents or any websites that would tell every places in the Philippines and it's malaria risks.. try Google..and there are LOTS of tourists spots or places you can go in the Philippines!
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by sheriel View Post
    Hello Jason Jo, when we travel to Philippines ,to avoid being eaten by Mosquito,Boots Chemist sell wrist bands containing Chemical that prevents any bites from Mosquito,they look like cheap plastic watch,they are only about £5 for two,and will be your best freind in the Philippines.
    Thanks, I will take a look

I don't know if there is a specific map or documents or any websites that would tell every places in the Philippines and it's malaria risks.. try Google..and there are LOTS of tourists spots or places you can go in the Philippines!
    Thanks. I have spent all day trying to find answers on google. I saw this site and thought that this would be a good place to ask

I am specifically only looking for places in the Philippines northern island of Luzon. Is hundred islands of Aliminos (or nearby) safe?

Thanks

I will add Island Cove to my list. Does it have hotels, shopping or other eating places?

Hundred Islands is beautiful, my wife and I stayed on one of the islands completely on our own for our honeymoon. If you are that way you could visit 'Our Lady of Manaoag' there is a beautiful old church there where miracles are said to have happened. You can also get your car blessed there for a safe journey. Baguio is also quite near if you are that way, make sure you drive up the valley to the city, it is breathtaking. Visit Mines View Park for the view of the mountains and take a stroll around the lake in the city centre.

My house is over to the east of Luzon the other side of Cabanatuan under the mountains, for me it is a stunning place to be.

As for malaria, the Doc has written extensively about how to protect yourself. But you just need to use common sense. Use a mosquito net at night (buy one here) and if you need to, use a repellant if you are out in the evening.

Have a lovely trip
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Banned
    I think some of these Malaria warnings are a bit over the top. Dengue is a bigger killer in the PI

Try looking at Tagaytay and beaches around Batangas
    -=rayna.keith=-

Try looking at Tagaytay and beaches around Batangas
    Thanks
    Just looking a Tagaytay highlands when you typed this. Looks beautiful, but is it mosquito free?
    Hmm, looks like I could make a nice little tour between Tagaytay, cavite and batangas. I notice that Cavite and Batangas look safe.

Is it fair to say that all beaches are mosquito free?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    Hundred Islands is beautiful, my wife and I stayed on one of the islands completely on our own for our honeymoon. If you are that way you could visit 'Our Lady of Manaoag' there is a beautiful old church there where miracles are said to have happened. You can also get your car blessed there for a safe journey. Baguio is also quite near if you are that way, make sure you drive up the valley to the city, it is breathtaking. Visit Mines View Park for the view of the mountains and take a stroll around the lake in the city centre.

My house is over to the east of Luzon the other side of Cabanatuan under the mountains, for me it is a stunning place to be.

As for malaria, the Doc has written extensively about how to protect yourself. But you just need to use common sense. Use a mosquito net at night (buy one here) and if you need to, use a repellant if you are out in the evening.

Have a lovely trip
    Thanks

Are hundreds Islands free from mosquitos and especially from malaria and that other disease

You are making too much of the mozzie thing, common sense is all you need

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    You are making too much of the mozzie thing, common sense is all you need
    Obsessive

Respected Member
    JasonJo
    I am sure you have your reasons for posing the question but I think you are being a little paranoid. There is really no place in Philippines that is completely malaria free. If you are concerned just use off lotion and keep a stock of 'katol' to burn at night and also a plug in repellant.(all readily avail in Phils)
    Avoid densely wooden areas and keep your legs and arms covered in the evenings.
    Thailand and Laos have a much more virilent form of mosquito. For me the the mosquitoes here are less of a problem than the menacing little Scottish midges that used to attack me during the 7 days of summer weather that UK has each year

As for trips in Luzon. As other posts

Tagaytay, Cavite(island cove perhaps esp if like fishing) Nasugbu in Batangas,Splash mountain in Laguna(hot springs)

Subic bay,Iba Zambales then up to hundred islands and Lingayen gulf

San Fabian,Pangasinan, Manoag sidetrip,Buang,La union then north to Vigan or up the hill to Baguio

Hi Everyone

Newbie here.

I will be travelling to Philippines in one week spending 3 weeks there. I will be focussed on staying in Luzon.

For various reasons (long story) I do not want to take anti malarial tablets but will cover up with repellant.

I read the following:
    "anti malrial tablets are recommended for rural areas at altitudes less than 600 m (1,969 ft) on the islands of Luzon

Does that include beaches and other popular tourist resorts which are obviously below 600 metres?

I am trying to plan my itinerary of places to visit but do not know which places are malaria free. What rule of thumb should I use?

For example what about the hundred Islands and rafting or swimming there?

Thanks so much
    Jason
    Hello Jason Jo, if your going to Luzon area in the Ilocos areas i think there is no need for anti-malaria drugs cause i've been there last July 2011 and we only bring is insect repellant cause you need it in night time if your going to stroll along the urban areas there. My family went to hundred islands in Alaminos Pangasinan twice and there's no case of malaria, then i've been to Vigan, Laoag, Tarlac, Olongapo, La Union, Baguio and we only bring is insect repellant while my 1 friend is from Isabela but if your going to Palawan area i think you should bring some anti-malaria medicine cause there is some cases of malaria there eversince.

Well the most important is enjoy your trip with your family here in our country, explore the beaches and other beautiful sceneries .....

Thanks everybody for all your help. Very useful indeed.

Banned
    Thanks

I will add Island Cove to my list. Does it have hotels, shopping or other eating places?
    Yes it does. It is a resort and leisure park, no shops but lots to do.

See this link:

http://www.islandcovephil.com/

Its about 25 minutes away from Manila

http://www.islandcovephil.com/about/

I spent just over a week there in June with my wife and we had her relatives there to visit. Great for kids with a good range of activities on offer.

Thanks
    Just looking a Tagaytay highlands when you typed this. Looks beautiful, but is it mosquito free?
    Hmm, looks like I could make a nice little tour between Tagaytay, cavite and batangas. I notice that Cavite and Batangas look safe.

Is it fair to say that all beaches are mosquito free?
    There's plenty of detailed information here in the forum to help you minimise any risks.
    A lot of people visiting Pinas do not take any precautions at all. I'm not suggesting you do that, just saying that malaria is just not as prevalent as you seem to think.

With mossie net, repellant, sensible clothing and common sense you'll be fine.
    If you're really so anxious then find an alternative holiday spot.

By the way, maps are really not that helpful for you in determining the 'safety' of places. Mosquitoes can't read maps

try ti look at ilocos area they have some nice tourist spots there and a lovely resort hotel called fort ilocandia

Thanks guys. you are so kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    There's plenty of detailed information here in the forum to help you minimise any risks.
    A lot of people visiting Pinas do not take any precautions at all. I'm not suggesting you do that, just saying that malaria is just not as prevalent as you seem to think.

With mossie net, repellant, sensible clothing and common sense you'll be fine.
    If you're really so anxious then find an alternative holiday spot.

By the way, maps are really not that helpful for you in determining the 'safety' of places. Mosquitoes can't read maps
    Thanks

I am going to the Fil with my Fil wife, so other destinations not a consideration. She hasn't been back to Fil since about 2003, so doesn't know the recent news regarding hot spots.

where every you go just enjoy, cover up at night , in my trips just had 3 bites

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    where every you go just enjoy, cover up at night , in my trips just had 3 bites
    in my mosquito breeding room

funny thing is steve, your room was one of the best sleeps i had, dont know weather it was the drink that made that happen or your new mosi net

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    funny thing is steve, your room was one of the best sleeps i had, dont know weather it was the drink that made that happen or your new mosi net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information