Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Got bitten in Irian Jaya (Indonesian part of Papa New Guinea) about 15 years ago - it gave me a fever for a night or so and the medics said if it wasn't for having taken the malaria tablets then I would have incurred full blown malaria. However this was Irian Jaya, a very remote part of the planet indeed.

So it is not as if I was completely green and blase when I first visited the Philippines without any anti malaria tablets whatsoever. Also, much has been said about the negative side effects of antimalaria medication and so one shouldnt take them too readily if not necessary.

Also, I followed what my wife told me and she assured me there was no need for such medication.

Like someone else said, I recall far more mozzies in Scotland than in the Philippines

Respected Member
    Don't worry about malaria. Luzon and most of the Philippines are low risk areas. In all the years I've been travelling to and living in the Philippines, I've never taken any anti-malaria drugs. Also, those drugs can have severe side effects.

As for travelling around Luzon, there is loads to see and do. It just depends what your interests are. If you're into diving, Batangas is great and Subic has wrecks. Tagaytay is nice but can be done as a day trip from Manila. Although some people advise not to bother with Manila, there is lots to do there and it's probably worth a couple of days.

I've never been to the Rice Terraces but I've heard they're impressive if the weather is OK. Baguio is a really nice place and the cooler climate is very pleasant. Vigan is a World Heritage site but I haven't been there. I'd really recommend Ilocos Norte. There loads to see and do there including Laoag, Pagudpud beaches, Paoay Church, Malacanang of the North, Marcos in Batac, Fort Ilocandia, Burgos Lighthouse. Also, the road to Claveria and Aparri is very scenic.

From that area, you could follow the Cagayan Valley, visiting the towns and tourist attractions along the way, before heading up into the mountains and back down towards Manila.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesey View Post
    Don't worry about malaria. Luzon and most of the Philippines are low risk areas. In all the years I've been travelling to and living in the Philippines, I've never taken any anti-malaria drugs. Also, those drugs can have severe side effects.

As for travelling around Luzon, there is loads to see and do. It just depends what your interests are. If you're into diving, Batangas is great and Subic has wrecks. Tagaytay is nice but can be done as a day trip from Manila. Although some people advise not to bother with Manila, there is lots to do there and it's probably worth a couple of days.

I've never been to the Rice Terraces but I've heard they're impressive if the weather is OK. Baguio is a really nice place and the cooler climate is very pleasant. Vigan is a World Heritage site but I haven't been there. I'd really recommend Ilocos Norte. There loads to see and do there including Laoag, Pagudpud beaches, Paoay Church, Malacanang of the North, Marcos in Batac, Fort Ilocandia, Burgos Lighthouse. Also, the road to Claveria and Aparri is very scenic.

From that area, you could follow the Cagayan Valley, visiting the towns and tourist attractions along the way, before heading up into the mountains and back down towards Manila.
    Yeah i agree with you on that, there are lots of beautiful scenic spots here and the insects here is not that dangerous compared to other countries, except if its the rainy season hehe the so-called dengue fever but since there's no forecast so no need to worry. So just enjoy travelling here, just bring mosquito repellant since there are lots of mosquito in urban areas .....

Hi, Jason ... ! I have left your questions to be answered by those "in the know" - with whom I would "argue not" ('Jason & the Argonauts' ) - and simply taken the opportunity of wishing you a safe and memorable holiday in Luzon.

Trusted Member
    I haven’t responded to your thread until now because there is already so much information on malaria, dengue fever, and general health advice for travelling to the Philippines :
    http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....ngue-Fever-Map
    http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....ee-for-5-Years
    http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....ut-be-patient-!
    http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....to-Philippines
    Hopefully you will now have had time to read this, and you should also read latest advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office ( FCO ) :- http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...ia/philippines
    Of course it’s important to get things in perspective. Most visits to the Philippines are safe if you’re well prepared, and plan several weeks before you go. That includes a medical check up with your GP / Practice Nurse, and arranging travel / medical insurance.
    Whether or not you agree with advice given by FCO or your doctor, insurance cover will be invalid if you don’t take that advice. Any claim resulting from a tropical disease where you have not had the recommended vaccination(s) or medication will not be covered. Similarly policies won’t cover
    • Non-emergency treatment
    • Treatment you knew you might need, for example undeclared pre-existing medical conditions.
    Good luck with your trip .

Banned
    Might be some job openings here Jason Jo

Inside the mosquito factory: Can malaria be stopped by British-bred genetically modified mosquitoes?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mosl...#ixzz1qmMwCCJl

Trusted Member
    RESPONSIBLE types....see Doc Alan's post above.

Anyone else.....

I saw ONE mosquito when I was there in February...but that could be my failing eyesight.

Anyway, not one bite either.

I haven't taken mozzie tablets or used repellent there in over 20 years, dry or rainy season.

Wear long pants and sleeves after dark is the only advice I can give.

We only ever used mozzie nets for the baby....but I always sleep under the sheets anyway, cos I'm afraid of the dark.

Palawan is normally the only part of the Phils where you are warned about the possibility of Malaria.

You can also catch Malaria in England if you really want to get paranoid about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information