Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Balikbayan Boxes

Hi

Some info please.

1. Do the company that you used to ship suupply the boxes that should be used or do you supply them yourself. If you supply them yourself what material should be used and where is the best place to get them from

2. I am moving to Davao from Aberdeen. Does anyone have any recommendations for a company to use

3. Would I be right to say the the boxes would be sent to Davao and then it would be up to me to collect it from the company's premises

Many thanks

Whoosh

I have only sent one box, but the shipping firm deliverd the box to me then we arranged when they would collect it to ship.
    Mick.

Use LBC, for stuff that has value use DHL.

You do know parts of Davao are like Moss Side in Manchester?
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Thanks for the info

To keep this clean I will open another thread to explore your Moss-side remark

Whoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Whoosh View Post
    Hi

Some info please.

1. Do the company that you used to ship suupply the boxes that should be used or do you supply them yourself. If you supply them yourself what material should be used and where is the best place to get them from

2. I am moving to Davao from Aberdeen. Does anyone have any recommendations for a company to use

3. Would I be right to say the the boxes would be sent to Davao and then it would be up to me to collect it from the company's premises

Many thanks

Whoosh
    1. The company you use will supply the boxes. These are usually tri-wall cardboard, but depends on the carrier.
    There's absolutely no reason why you cannot modify their supplied boxes (eg adding inner strengthener plywood) or even building your own wooden crates. Better to talk with the supplier as some of them will actually build wooden crates/pallets for you. Of course you will be charged, but some folks just don't have what it takes to build stuff like that.

2. Everyone will recommend a different company, usually the one they use. I only ever used Forex and LBC. Prices between them are much the same but check with both as sometimes they each do their own promo's. One thing that I have discovered is that the 'small print' can vary considerably on what items need special declaration etc. If you're intending to ship anything unusal better check that too.
    I have no idea which companies are operating 'pick-up' near your area.

3. The boxes will be delivered to the address on the boxes/paperwork. So, no, you are not required to pick up yourself.
    Do bear in mind that deliveries to Davao take significantly longer than deliveries to Manila area. Usually you can expect the shipping to Manila area to be around five weeks from UK departure. Add an another 3-4 weeks for Davao.
    I usually ask the company the date of their next shipping departure from UK, as it just helps with planning etc. It used to be a little quicker than that, but these days they try to save on fuel costs so speed is generally slower.

Basically you can fill the box with almost anything right up to the brim. Just as long as it doesn’t violate customs regulations.There's no weight limit as long as it fits inside the box. It's a great idea.

Thank you Terpe for that very useful information - if anyone can help out with a contact number for a rep in Scotland for either of those company's I would appreciate it

Thanks again

Whoosh

PS is there a "thanks" button or similar on this forum?

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Thanks

Sorry I missed it - have saved the image and will give them a ring - just thought it might have been best to get a local rep but its a great start

Whoosh

Respected Member
    I used to send regular balikbayan boxes to Philippines when I was visiting uk. The company was based in Inverness with agents around the country.Never had a problem.They supplied the boxes with a choice of size and handled the paperwork and customs clearance. Usually took about 4 or 5 weeks.(luzon)
    I dont know if the firm is still in existence as I believe the Filipina who ran it died of kidney failure a few years ago
    I sent a box last October 2010 on my last trip. The companies' agent delivered the box and arranged collection.Again it was delivered about 5 weeks later. I phoned the company in Manila to check on the schedule of delivery and the box arrived a few days later. Cost was £90 quite an increase from the previous consignment albeit 7 years previously
    Prices seem to vary a bit and are commensurate on the size and delivery area.There's no weight limit
    The details of the forwarding company is Pooten Forwarding International, a Filipino owned firm based in London and with office and warehouse in Taguig,Manila. They have collections around UK including Scotland
    0208 520 6435,0208 509 1434,pfi_uk@yahoo.com
    Hope this helps

Thank you - will look into it

Whoosh

Respected Member
    I sent a container from UK about 11 years ago. I found a company that supplied balikbayan style boxes in a range of sizes. I needed some oversize ones to pack some large fragile items. I spent loads on bubble wrap,tape etc. Everything arrived intact not even a broken wineglass.
    Most forwarding companies will quote you a price based on the size of your box,pro rata if you are sending large items.
    Took me a while to locate the supplier of boxes(Scottish based company) but was well worthwhile.
    Will be happy to delve through my diary if you require contact details
    Last edited by tanga; 24th February 2012 at 13:50. Reason: additional info

Tanga - Thanks - I will try the information i have got through this forum and come back to you if I need mroe help - appreciated

I can bring in $7000 tax free with the SRRV - some friends will send on my stuff after I find a base. I live light and it will not by much - but if you could have $7000 of stuff sent over is there something you would include. I take it that a UK TV will not work there or a WII. I will be sending my nice computer and lots of toys for the boy - some fishing gear and all my scuba stuff - apart from that I can not think of anything - may some kitchen stuff - anything else??

Whoosh

1..a good quality can opener
    2.. Yorkshire tea bags
    3.salad cream
    4.deet mozzy lotion
    5.marmite
    6.loads of good books

1..a good quality can opener Noted
    2.. Yorkshire tea bags [B]Coffee Drinker but I can put some in for you
    ]3.salad cream Heienz of course and Tomato Ketchup
    4.deet mozzy lotion Can you not get "Off" there
    5.marmite no bloody chance ha ha
    6.loads of good books Kindle - best thing since sliced bread

Only 6 suggestions - though there would be 106

Whoosh
    Last edited by Whoosh; 24th February 2012 at 16:25. Reason: Change formatting

Respected Member
    No need. Its all available here....at a price certainly
    1.Prestige can opener P695
    2.3.5. Available at Union Jack Tavern along with Weetabix,Robinson's barley water, Shrivers marmalade,Guiness and Boddingtons along with
    many other items
    4.Off lotion is widely available with other local products
    6.Huge range of imported books(new and used)available at Booksale
    I may buy a copy of Tony Blair's memoirs if the price is P75 or less

..........I can bring in $7000 tax free with the SRRV - some friends will send on my stuff after I find a base. I live light and it will not by much - but if you could have $7000 of stuff sent over is there something you would include. I take it that a UK TV will not work there or a WII. ...
    Plenty of people have sent electrical items to Phils without issues.

Solely in terms of voltage there is usually no major problem for many items.
    Problems may arise mainly due the differences in frequency, and also on occasion due to neutral and earth wire configuration.

UK is 240V@50Hz
    Philippines is 240V@60Hz

When the required power is low, say for example less than 50 Watts, then it's virtually a plug and play scenario.
    There's also plenty of other equipment such as computers, chargers for phones and camera's and the like that are actually designed to work safely with a range of input voltages and frequencies.
    When this is the case it will almost certainly be indicated on the equipment somewhere.

It's interesting to see by simple calculation, { [(60Hz – 50 Hz)/ 50 Hz] * 100 = 20 % } that plenty of appliances/equipment will run 20 % faster than their normal rated speed. This may not always be safe if insulation and windings burn-out.

There's also quite a lot of equipment these days that have some or other form of electronic timer or micro-processor control system.
    Such devices will at best run 20% faster than they are designed for. This may or may not be a problem, but it certainly makes electric alarm clocks pointless and you'll also need to develop new recipes for your electric breadmaker or microwave

Some washing machines may well work without major issues for a time and others will very soon not work at all. Depends on the motor configuration and internal wiring.
    All similar 'motor-driven' appliances are going run 20% faster and produce an equivalent increase in heat output. Period.

My advice would be to seriously consider the likelihood of problems, the age of the equipment and cost of shipping versus the cost of buying new in Philippines.

If in doubt always double-check. Not only for the protection of the equipment but also for the body.

Most newish TV equipment will operate on either 50Hz or 60Hz frequency, but there are still many that don't. If it does not automatically adapt, the different frequency is highly likely to affect the refresh, rate and picture quality.
    Again, many of the newer TV's have built in capability to switch from PAL to NTSC, but not all. Do your research, ask the manufacturer and discover how the 'switch' works if it's not included in the set-up menu.

Many freezers, refrigerators and plasma TV's do not travel well. Again some simple self-research or technical details from the manufacturer will help you in your decision making.
    Don't pay high shipping costs for such items when the risks outweigh the benefits.

Freezers, Refs, and Aircon units used in the UK will not work properly in the Philippines due to the cooling gas. Because of the extreme temp difference.

As far as the TV is concerned is there not a difference between UK PAL and RP NSTC that means a UK TV will not work in the RP - sorry to be thick if I have it wrong

Whoosh

Why do Plasma TV.s not travel well? I have a 42inch - what would be the rough price for a 42 inch in RP - average grade

Whoosh

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tanga View Post
    That would be handy as I don't think they are selling toilet paper with Gordon Browns ugly face on it any longer

As far as the TV is concerned is there not a difference between UK PAL and RP NSTC that means a UK TV will not work in the RP - sorry to be thick if I have it wrong

Whoosh
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    ....Most newish TV equipment will operate on either 50Hz or 60Hz frequency, but there are still many that don't. If it does not automatically adapt, the different frequency is highly likely to affect the refresh, rate and picture quality.
    Again, many of the newer TV's have built in capability to switch from PAL to NTSC, but not all. Do your research, ask the manufacturer and discover how the 'switch' works if it's not included in the set-up menu...

Why do Plasma TV.s not travel well? I have a 42inch - what would be the rough price for a 42 inch in RP - average grade

Whoosh
    Plasma TV's have quite heavy and fragile screens. They are designed to be transported upright. Any other orientation increase the risk to crack or break the glass due to screen flexure.

Sorry, I've no idea on the current costs of large screen TV's, the price has been going down for a number of years now. Not too far from UK prices I think.

Just 'google it' for local supplier in Davao. There's loads of places to buy.

No need. Its all available here....at a price certainly
    1.Prestige can opener P695
    2.3.5. Available at Union Jack Tavern along with Weetabix,Robinson's barley water, Shrivers marmalade,Guiness and Boddingtons along with
    many other items
    4.Off lotion is widely available with other local products
    6.Huge range of imported books(new and used)available at Booksale
    no Union Jack Tavern where we live.. the items listed cannot be obtained in bohol so i guess it depends on where we end up..every so called can opener ive bought here has sadly failed..
    recommendations stand..

1..a good quality can opener Noted
    2.. Yorkshire tea bags [B]Coffee Drinker but I can put some in for you
    ]3.salad cream Heienz of course and Tomato Ketchup
    4.deet mozzy lotion Can you not get "Off" there
    5.marmite no bloody chance ha ha
    6.loads of good books Kindle - best thing since sliced bread

Only 6 suggestions - though there would be 106

Whoosh
    tomato ketchup and hp no problem.. widely available..

mum sent me 1000 tea bags so i should be ok for a couple of months at least..
    off lotion is not bad but you can find better stuff in the uk which i suggest you pack.to be honest apart from a decent lawn mower i cant think of much else..

Respected Member
    Fair comment Fred
    I brought a petrol flymo over but within a year it had broken down. Make do now with a grass cutter(strimmer)
    I stock up on tea bags and every time a visitor or any of the expats here travel its top of the list.
    I can find most of what I want here but not Charlie Dimmock...have to get her online

Whoosh
    I shipped my Samsung plasma from Malaysia back to the UK, it was well wrapped and was fine when I plugged it in here (except no free view).
    I know some old ones can have an issue and guidance is to ship or move them upright.
    Think it will be ok.

Tone

Whoosh
    I shipped my Samsung plasma from Malaysia back to the UK, it was well wrapped and was fine when I plugged it in here (except no free view).
    I know some old ones can have an issue and guidance is to ship or move them upright.
    Think it will be ok.

Tone

Fair comment Fred
    I brought a petrol flymo over but within a year it had broken down. Make do now with a grass cutter(strimmer)
    I stock up on tea bags and every time a visitor or any of the expats here travel its top of the list.
    I can find most of what I want here but not Charlie Dimmock...have to get her online
    i had an electric flymow sent over a few years ago but with ,8.000 square meters to cut i was struggling.. we bought a styll petrol strimmer 2 years ago and that broke down beyond repair....
    they sent me a petrol lawn mower since and i just hope it lasts as i reckon ive created wembley in my back yard since..problem is you just cant get the parts here.. if that goes pearshaped its back to a filipino and a pair of shears ..

Thread Information