Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Tagaytay

Not sure at the moment, east midlands, rice farm or manila

Tagaytay

The wife and me are now seriously looking at moving to the phils within the year for 12-18 months atleast so we can sort a few things out. We where considering going back to Olongapo City but a mate of mine has said the girly bars have started to make a return there, unfortunately. This of course means I'd never be trusted to go out on my own

Anyway we're now thinking of Tagaytay, I know its expensive but I figure its a nice place to be. So does anyway one have any experience of hotels there (need one for when we look for a place to rent) and of renting there as well? Doesn't have to be fancy for a start, 3 bedrooms minimum and we'd like it to be furnished as I think for a start I'll put our gear in storage.

Any experience anyone?
    It's been emontional

hello....I will ask my friends over there to help us in looking a place for you...for info I myself know the place for almost 15 years coz my former company (the company where I worked for 18 years) developed a subdivision (village) over there and manage that for that long years ...just happened that I am no longer connected in that company but I have many contacts...yes Tagaytay is nice to live in when it comes to the weather 2nd to Baguio......so I will let you know....let me know when are you coming?...ingat and God Bless

Hi there

You and your wife chose a right place to live, I live few mins from Tagaytay. Its really a nice place, fresh air, relaxing view, quite clean (in most places), quite cool and near the shops. Me and my husband spent our honeymoon there last year and he said he would like to invest a property or vacation house there someday .

I know a decent hotel who accept long term stay and offers reasonable price or if you want a 2BR or 3BR apartment, I would think the apartment ranges from 10k-15k pesos a month. I'll contact my Aunt about this who live in Tagaytay and let you know asap.

Cheers

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    The wife and me are now seriously looking at moving to the phils within the year for 12-18 months atleast so we can sort a few things out. We where considering going back to Olongapo City but a mate of mine has said the girly bars have started to make a return there, unfortunately. This of course means I'd never be trusted to go out on my own

Anyway we're now thinking of Tagaytay, I know its expensive but I figure its a nice place to be. So does anyway one have any experience of hotels there (need one for when we look for a place to rent) and of renting there as well? Doesn't have to be fancy for a start, 3 bedrooms minimum and we'd like it to be furnished as I think for a start I'll put our gear in storage.

Any experience anyone?
    Nice place Stu. I spent a day there and passed through there a couple of times. Saw the Taal volcanoe from the Marcus viewing area. Beautiful spot. Only thing I would be worried about is future eruptions as I believe volcanic activity there is merely dormant and can be devastating.

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Nice place Stu. I spent a day there and passed through there a couple of times. Saw the Taal volcanoe from the Marcus viewing area. Beautiful spot. Only thing I would be worried about is future eruptions as I believe volcanic activity there is merely dormant and can be devastating.
    The last massive volcanic eruption there was 1977 Lets hope It won't happen again. The other volcano is already inactive so Its safe to live there

Respected Member
    I can't offer you any advice Stu as I've only been to the Tagaytay/Talisay/Taal area a few times as a tourist on day trips. Although it's a beautiful area, and close enough to Manila if you need to get to the airport, go shopping or require medical treatment. Definitely somewhere I'd consider
    Good luck with your future plans

Banned
    "Taal volcano is one of the most active volcanoes in the Philippines and has produced some of its most powerful historical eruptions. Six of 24 known eruptions at Taal since 1572 have caused fatalities, many from tsunamis in the crater lake.

An eruption of Taal in 1911 killed 1334 people and produced ash which reached Manila. An increase in seismicity was recorded at the volcano in November 2006, and hot bubbling water was recorded in the crater in April 2007"

From the link http://www.volcanolive.com/taal.html

The last massive volcanic eruption there was 1977 Lets hope It won't happen again. The other volcano is already inactive so Its safe to live there
    It surely will, it's just a question of when. It's evidently always grumbling away, all the time....

"But with 47 craters and its history of powerful explosions, Taal is classified a "permanent danger zone", according to government volcanologists."

The above from ABS CBN News http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/re...g-taal-volcano

Thanks for the replies folks and the offers of help from Marie and Juvyjones. I've been thinking about it a bit more and I know what you mean about the risk of eruptions etc from an active volcano, it does seem strange to want to live next to one let alone ON one!! I think we'll end up going for a look though I've a feeling it'll be overly expensive considering the location and the exchange rate!!

Juvyjones - that is a good rate for apartments, actually I'm amazed at the price, i'd have thought they'd cost alot more considering the location. Do you know how much a 3 bed furnished house would cost to rent on average?

Marie - Thanks for the offer for help, I think my wife and I will be looking to move sometie towards the end of the year. Maybe october - december time. I'm asking this early so I can start to plan things out.

The other place I was thinking about (though I have to perseude the wife) is peurto galera. Does anyone have any ideas about this place?

Thanks again everyone
    It's been emontional

Respected Member
    The other place I was thinking about (though I have to perseude the wife) is peurto galera. Does anyone have any ideas about this place?
    Northern Oriental Mindoro is a nice place Stu and you can get to Batangas port from either Calapan or Puerto Galera. The fastest boats from PG to Batangas take about an hour but the big ships from Calapan take 6 hours or more. The sea can get very rough in bad weather and boats are often cancelled or delayed between Aug and Nov (as I found out). As you're going to be flying in and out of MNL for work, I'm sure you don't want to find you can't get to the airport because your boat was cancelled. The only airport in Mindoro is about 6 hours drive away at Roxas in Occidental Mindoro, and the roads are terrible - or were last year when I spent about a week travelling around Mindoro.
    You obviously know what you're doing and what you want, but if it were me, I'd want to be within driving distance of NAIA if I had to fly out to meet work deadlines. I wouldn't want to be at the mercy of boats and possible cancellations in bad weather

Ian

Thanks for the info, much appreciated unfortunately after speaking to her that must (apparently) obeyed she's not going for the idea. So its back to the possibility of living on the side of an active volcano.

She also mention Cavite but I'm not sure where as that includes Tagaytay anyway. To be honest she's now making noises about living close if not in Manila which I can't stand the idea of. If a place has more than 3 streets I start to get confused!!
    It's been emontional

She also mention Cavite but I'm not sure where as that includes Tagaytay anyway.
    Tagaytay is mainly part of Cavite. Its just one of the big City. I think It will be worth living there for a year despite of an active volcano But I won't worry too much because the volcano is quiet for sometime now

Btw, The 2BR apartment I was talking about is unfurnished. But I know some furnished ones. I will get back to you once I get full details.

Respected Member
    Cavite covers a fairly big area south of Manila. Elaine lives in Imus, Cavite which is about half an hour from downtown Manila in good traffic, and about an hour from Tagaytay. I don't think the volcano would be a problem there, but I'm not a vulcanologist

Quote Originally Posted by Englishman2010 View Post
    Cavite covers a fairly big area south of Manila. Elaine lives in Imus, Cavite which is about half an hour from downtown Manila in good traffic, and about an hour from Tagaytay.
    I also live in Cavite and Its always a nightmare when I take Imus highway to Manila. Heavy traffic in a hot weather

Banned
    My wife is from Cavite and although I dont know it very well I did see a wide variety of the social spectrum while I was there and wide cross section of neighbourhoods. There are some extremely poor areas and some extremely affluent ones......
    Traffic in general that I saw, and going to Manila was a complete nightmare.....I did that journey a fair few times. Only a short distance really but took forever owing to traffic.

I did look at a new housing complex in the Dasmarinas Alabang area and what appealed was the new road to Manila that was in the vicinity ( could of been the South Luzon Expressway - I cant remember exactly now), that appeared to be free of traffic.

I did look at a new housing complex in the Dasmarinas Alabang area and what appealed was the new road to Manila that was in the vicinity ( could of been the South Luzon Expressway - I cant remember exactly now), that appeared to be free of traffic.
    It could be SLEX or CAVITEX. I used to live in Taguig City for many years with my family and I just hate the heavy traffic there
    Cavite traffic scheme is better except the journey from here to Manila.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by juvyjones28 View Post
    I think It will be worth living there for a year despite of an active volcano But I won't worry too much because the volcano is quiet for sometime now
    It's like a sleeping dragon though, JuveyJones.....

As far as I can see, the Taal cone is just a small part of the volcano itself. The lake it sits in is inside a much bigger volcanic cone. I am not sure dormant is the right word as it is really active, just not erupting just now.

It appears to be one of about 16 volcanos that have been designated by the experts as having a history of being destructive and and within close proximity to a large population.

It's like a sleeping dragon though, JuvyJones.....

As far as I can see, the Taal cone is just a small part of the volcano itself. The lake it sits in is inside a much bigger volcanic cone. I am not sure dormant is the right word as it is really active, just not erupting just now.

It appears to be one of about 16 volcanos that have been designated by the experts as having a history of being destructive and and within close proximity to a large population.
    LOL I know, scary isn't it? But I still love to go there, I pop there twice a month to unwind. My husband loved there also, in fact we had our honeymoon there and went up to the crater.

DSCF1009.jpgDSCF1002.jpg

me and my husband - the crater's smoke

Banned
    LOL I know, scary isn't it? But I still love to go there, I pop there twice a month to unwind. My husband loved there also, in fact we had our honeymoon there and went up to the crater.
    Are you in the Taal crater, in the pictures?

The day I went to Tagaytay it was a bit overcast / misty so visibility wasnt good. But I specifically asked my wife to take me there as I have a bit of an interest in that sort of thing. We went and with the whole family LOL! We just viewed it from the Peoples Park in the Sky. Would have been nice to get down into the lake and onto the Taal cone.

My wife and I spent our wedding night in Laguna in a hotspring resort there (another volcano I gather).

Are you in the Taal crater, in the pictures?
    Yes That was in Taal crater. We went up there by boat and horse and took us 45 mins, fantastic experience although my bum was a bit painful when we get back to hotel

My wife and I spent our wedding night in Laguna in a hotspring resort there (another volcano I gather).
    Nice Yeah too many volcanoes in the Philippines.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by juvyjones28 View Post
    ..... although my bum was a bit painful when we get back to hotel
    I thought you were going to say that your bum was hot Was it hot in the crater?

I thought you were going to say that your bum was hot Was it hot in the crater?
    Yes It was a bit hot up there about 38-40 degrees celcius. But it was very windy too so not too bad

Banned
    http://www.aava.ph/

Try this place Stu. Ayala Alabang.

Thanks for the continuing information folks. I must admit I've always had Alabang in the back of my mind but its a very expensive place to be isn't it (nice link by the way) it certainly looks it!!

Taal certainly looks an interesting place. I think its a matter of getting out there and spending a week looking round. I just wish it was easier out there to find a place without having to go through relator agents. I've heard bad things about a lot of them, bumping up the sale / rent rice without the owners knowledge etc. When we used to lok for places in Olongapo we'd just hire a trike for the day and ride roundthe streets until we saw a "for rent" sign on a gate. I'd then hide round the corner and wait for the shout from the wife. I'm not sure you can do that in these higher end sub-divisions!!!
    It's been emontional

Respected Member
    If you're looking to rent in the Cavite area, you should try Fred from the forum. He's got some nice appartments in Imus the Imus area is quite good, there are Robinsons and SM malls in town, SM Bacoor is also only 10 minutes away. There is a good hospital (The MCI) in Imus. It's also quite well placed for getting to Makati, NAIA, MOA ...etc and if you want to go the other way, it's not too far from Tagaytay, Laguna or Batangas

Quote Originally Posted by Englishman2010 View Post
    If you're looking to rent in the Cavite area, you should try Fred from the forum. He's got some nice appartments in Imus the Imus area is quite good, there are Robinsons and SM malls in town, SM Bacoor is also only 10 minutes away. There is a good hospital (The MCI) in Imus. It's also quite well placed for getting to Makati, NAIA, MOA ...etc and if you want to go the other way, it's not too far from Tagaytay, Laguna or Batangas
    Cheers Ian, I've seen Fred's apartments on a link he put up here a while ago, might have a think about that as well.
    It's been emontional

Thread Information