Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

passport re-newal/amendment PLS help.

Hello, Merry Christmas and Happy New year!

I will get married next month
    And so I am asking help for my passport and at the same time changing my last name.
    Passport will expire 2013, but can I renew it to e-passport and at the same time change my surname after the marriage?
    Do I really need to be in London for personal appearance to apply for it?
    How long will it takes? and so I can apply for my FLR once i will get my new and amended passport.
    - I hope to hear from you guys who are done with this.
    Thanks Much ..
    God Bless..

Trusted Member
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you too.

Personally I would leave your passport as it is until you're safely through the visa process and living in the UK. (You've put your location as 'Manila on your profile).

Keep things simple and consistent.

ooppss sorry bout that grahamw48 for not up-dating my prof.
    I'm in Northumberland now been here for 8 weeks.

What we are planning really is to report the marriage-re-new passport then amendment.
    Just on the website- it says personal appearance required.

Trusted Member
    Ah, maybe you should change your location on your profile.

yes you will need to go to the phil embassy to report the marriage and renew your passport as the will do biometrics. my jennie just renewed her passport just before christmas it will take about 6-8 weeks to get your new pasport back so make sure you do not need it for anything else like applying for you FLR and national insurance number. then once its back you will need to change you ukba residence card as that will have you old name on it

make a day of it when you go get your husband to take you around London, and best to get to the embassy as soon as they open so you do not have to queue (by 11am it is very busy there) it only took us a hour to sort out all the paperwork the spent the rest of the day going around london

alan
    As life is to live so love is to give

Quote Originally Posted by alanp View Post
    yes you will need to go to the phil embassy to report the marriage and renew your passport as the will do biometrics. my jennie just renewed her passport just before christmas it will take about 6-8 weeks to get your new pasport back so make sure you do not need it for anything else like applying for you FLR and national insurance number. then once its back you will need to change you ukba residence card as that will have you old name on it

make a day of it when you go get your husband to take you around London, and best to get to the embassy as soon as they open so you do not have to queue (by 11am it is very busy there) it only took us a hour to sort out all the paperwork the spent the rest of the day going around london

alan
    A gem of information.. thanks alan.. I'll store that one for use later.

alanp thanks for the info.
    Wow 6-8 weeks for the passport re-newal? kinda hesitant now
    if I'm goin to renew my passport and amendment as well... 'coz my fiancee visa
    will xpires on April 12. and after marriage we still need to apply FLR and i will need my passport of course..

my plan really is after marriage next month- go to Phil embassy, change name, renew passport and report marriage, then apply for FLR. But if it will take 6-8 weeks for the passport hhmmm i' don't know..

Do your flr first then sort out the passport and report the marriage after. There is no law saying you have to change your surname after you are married its a personal choice.
    The long time frame to the processing of your passport is they send to to the phillipines

Quote Originally Posted by alanp View Post
    Do your flr first then sort out the passport and report the marrage after. There is no law saying you have to change your surname after you are married its a personal choice.
    The long time frame to the processing of your passport is they send to to the phillipines
    Spot on. Great advice.

Hello allanp

thanks for the adv i will discuss this to my fiancee, if what will b the best thing to do at the same time to same money as well.
    So what will reflect on FLR is my name on the passport w/c is goin to be my maiden name.
    Now by 2013 my passport will expire so i have to renew it using my married name, do I need to change my Biometric card as well?

Hi Han
    the cost of changing the biometric resident card is about 40pounds. As my wife Jennie wanted to take my surname after we got the flr sorted what is the most important thing we then registered our marriage and renewed her pasport once she has that back we will apply to get the resident card amended

allanp
    thanks for the reply.
    Well, i told my fiancee 'bout it.
    I was really interested to renew my passport so I can use his last name after marriage then i can also use it in applying FLR for the Biometric card.
    But it i think what will happen now is to do FLR first and use my name as what it is on my Brown passport, then later on sort out the rest.
    I am just afraid that i won't have much time, my fiancee visa will expires this coming april 2012. and that means i need my FLR much.

So is your wife now, waitin for her new passport then? w/ your last name on it and everything new...

Respected Member
    I agree with Alan to sort FLR first and passport later. You can do the report of marriage by post.

I do have the same problem as well but can anybody tell me what is the difference between the application of spousal visa and the application of the FLR after the wedding? Are those two the same?...how long will it take for the FLR to be granted? Because our wedding will be on April and my fiancée visa will expire on June. Do I still have enough time?

Thread Information