Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

UK nurse immigration slows

A tightening of immigration regulations has reduced the number of overseas nurses taking up healthcare positions in the UK. In 2005, the Department of Health vetoed the active recruitment of trained nurses from nations receiving British aid.

The UK Border Agency also brought in stricter requirements for nursing professionals migrating to the UK at the same time. Prior to 2005, foreign nurses coming to the UK averaged 10,000 annually whereas figures released recently showed the number had dropped to 2,000 by the end of 2010.

http://www.emigrate.co.uk/news/2213342.html
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Trusted Member
    Well, with the proposed NHS cuts, how can it be justified ?

Much as I would love to be surrounded by pretty Filipina nurses, we also need to look after our own.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Well, with the proposed NHS cuts, how can it be justified ?

Much as I would love to be surrounded by pretty Filipina nurses, we also need to look after our own.
    ...but all our nurses have gone to Australia for better pay shorter hours and better working conditions.

Trusted Member
    Can't say I blame them.

My (late) fiancee was a nurse, and I we both considered the emigration option even back in the eighties, because of her improved prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by lordna View Post
    ...but all our nurses have gone to Australia for better pay shorter hours and better working conditions.
    We've seen quite a few of our Filipina friends (nurses) move to Australia from UK.
    I not sure if the salaries were actually higher, but certainly the working conditions were better, and they all say their overall lifestyle is very much brighter and happier than it was in UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    We've seen quite a few of our Filipina friends (nurses) move to Australia from UK.
    I not sure if the salaries were actually higher, but certainly the working conditions were better, and they all say their overal lifestyle is very much brighter and happier than it was in UK.
    from what i've seen i think the cost of living is higher,

"Standard of Living" versus "Quality of Life"
    Many migrants to Australia (especially from the UK) are looking for an easier life - less work and more leisure.

Without doubt, this is much harder to achieve now than it was a few years ago, mainly because the poor exchange rate has reduced their overall wealth and they have to get a bigger mortgage than they would like. Some recent migrants are finding it very hard to get by and are working longer hours in Australia just to pay the bills.

In general, though, most of us have some choices in the work/leisure balance. It should be noted that while some things are relatively expensive in Australia, there are a lot of leisure activities that are free or very cheap.

cost of healthcare, average $3,000 for a family.

The average UK house price is around £162,215 (5), equivalent to about $252,500 AUD. At $459,000 and at the current exchange rate, the average Australian house is 82% more expensive than the UK average!

http://www.aussiemove.com/aus/costlive.asp

its not only the money side, on one trip back from the phils, i was sat next to a lady, we got talking, she was going back to the UK from oz to find a place to live for her and her family, while the rest of her family prepared to leave oz, her kids and her missed their family and friends and after months of living in oz decided to come back to the uk.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I not sure if the salaries were actually higher, but certainly the working conditions were better, and they all say their overall lifestyle is very much brighter and happier than it was in UK.
    And a bit closer to home...

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    And a bit closer to home...
    Yes, and a much kinder time-differential for squeezing in those extra phone calls home

Thread Information