Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: DHL TO Phils

DHL TO Phils

Hi All

I've sent the wedding DVD to Rina's parents and the DHL tracking has now for 5 days shown 'clearance delays'.

I put the DVD in a DHL letter envelope in a jiffy bag and the waybill shows zero value.

I'm just wondering if because of Xmas these delays exist..

Any advice?

Thanks
    Tone

Banned
    You could try phoning them directly. I sent our papers through TNT (similar to DHL) and there was a problem with the zip code that my wife gave me which was incorrect. I resolved the problem over the phone through their customer services.

Respected Member South-east boy's Avatar
    I had the same when I sent things by courier to there before. I watched it on the tracking and saw it arriving in Birmigham, Germany, Hong kong, Philppines etc and it got there in only 2 1/2 days which was impressive, then sat there waiting to be checked and cleared etc for 3-6 days!

agree phone them to clarify

Respected Member
    You may unfortunately discover that a customs payment is necessary, despite declaring zero value. The customs fee won't be high, but DHL then adds a customs clearance fee. I've had this happen twice.
    Then DHL hand it over to LBC to deliver it.

Tone, sometimes these things can happen. I would strongly urge you to give a call and try to resolve all the issues. From my own extensive experiences they are usually simple things and easy to resolve.
    Good luck.

I'll give it a try - thanks for your input. I am of the opinion if they try to fleece me I'll tell them to keep the DVD, I've found someone who can download it and burn it to a disc, it if I upload an ISO image!

I'll call them!

Thanks

Tone

my parcel got to manila from belfast i36 hours then it was held in manila saying cearance delay for another 72 hours before being dispatched for delivery,,ive sent 4 parcels and it seems to be the normal for all them,,i wouldnt worry cheers

I finally got around to calling DHL and it seems that they want $22 in tax for the import of the wedding DVD, the declared value was 1p.
    So I told the DHL woman I wasnt going to pay and that they can RTS the package which is what is now going to happen.

I asked how the value of $22 had come to when usually these were based on % of value - it compares to the Wonga.com school of interest rates!!! She responded that they make it up as they go along and usually its down to the individual there... and for that reason alone I wouldnt pay...

In the meantime I have created an ISO image of the DVD and used "Dropbox" to upload and someone there has downloaded it and burned it to a DVD. Dont know why I didnt do this in the first place!

£35 wasted but I wasnt going to put Php 1000 in some idiots pocket..

Tone

Respected Member South-east boy's Avatar
    I think they also have a certian value that items are worth and also tax %age on certain items depending on what they are, so they might not always go by the values that have been added by the sender, maybe guessing that they have down-graded the value to save on tax, but I have had suspicions that they make up the amount of tax/add a value that they think they can charge/you have to pay. When I sent a big box to Suzie who I was in contact with over 2 years ago (but not anymore), they phoned her to say that there was a 6000 pesos charge! Of course she couldn't pay it, so I had to and if I hadn't, I would have had to pay even more than that to have it couriered straight back to me! It cost me around £170 to send that box what with the taxes added in! Viva had to pay £27 to receive her Valentines day items that I had sent in a small box! That's why I try to send by balibayan now, but of course have to prepare that earlier and you can't do small boxes, only the baikbayan sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    In the meantime I have created an ISO image of the DVD and used "Dropbox" to upload and someone there has downloaded it and burned it to a DVD. Dont know why I didnt do this in the first place!

Tone

i sent some cds to my misses friend, and i'm sure i used DHL and had no problems. but that was years ago..

well you got the DVD done in the end
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    I sent a parcel of 4 expensive t shirts to Samar via Royal Mail, about 9 months ago. They got there in about 4 weeks and there was no surcharge.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    I finally got around to calling DHL and it seems that they want $22 in tax for the import of the wedding DVD, the declared value was 1p.
    So I told the DHL woman I wasnt going to pay and that they can RTS the package which is what is now going to happen.

I asked how the value of $22 had come to when usually these were based on % of value - it compares to the Wonga.com school of interest rates!!! She responded that they make it up as they go along and usually its down to the individual there... and for that reason alone I wouldnt pay...

Tone
    Thanks for the feedback Tone. Very interesting.

I wonder why DHL didn't contact you and tell you about this

Anyway, on balance I would have done the same and refused to pay.

This morning I received an email (I signed up for notifications) saying the parcel was "out for delivery" so I though Oh good they decided to be "human" but having just checked the waybill - it was refused by Mother in Law - I am assuming that they asked for payment at the door!!

Terpe - I dont know why they didn't call me to say it needed paying for - but this is the first and last time I use DHL..

Trusted Member
    Someone needs to set up a personal courier service...at least to post stuff locally in the Phils.

Thread Information