Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avoiding cancer

Trusted Member

Avoiding cancer

Cancer is second only to heart and circulatory disease in UK and Philippines - 2/5 of us will get it, but over 2/5 are due to lifestyle. It's hard to avoid the publicity from the latest study ( http://www.nature.com/bjc/journal/v105/n2s/index.html ) but debatable how much impact it will have
    The study is an up to date estimate of new UK cancers which are due to avoidable factors.
    Half of all cancer deaths are thought to be avoidable in UK. Our common cancers are breast, lung, large bowel, prostate, uterus and bladder - in Philippines breast, lung, liver, large bowel, prostate, and cervix.
    Predictably, smoking is still the biggest avoidable cause. But lack of fresh fruit and vegetables ( especially for men ), obesity ( especially for women ), too much dietary salt and alcohol, all contribute. There are now vaccines which lower the chances of certain cancers ( hepatitis B is the main cause of liver cancer in Philippines ; human papilloma virus is the main cause of cervical cancer ). Screening is well developed in UK for several cancers ( breast, large bowel, cervix ) - after prevention , early diagnosis is best. Sadly, all too commonly filipino cancer patients still seek help only when cancer is advanced.
    Inevitably some of the 600 comments on the BBC News Health section are negative - " You've got to die of something " / " Cancer affects older people, more than half can't be avoided ".
    We all have the power to reduce our risk of cancer by leading healthier lives. With some knowledge, common sense,
    moderation, and good luck, it can be achieved for many more of us .

Thanks Doc
    Men living alone are thought to be bad at eating healthily
    I use the packets of frozen mixed vegetables that are “steamed” in the microwave for 2 ½ minuets
    Might not be as good as fresh vegetables, but it is vegetables.

I have had prostrate problems for some years around 20 and now take “Tamsulosin Hydrochloride”
    I have asked my Dr if it needs further checking but she did not say anything more was needed.
    Mick.

Trusted Member
    It is very depressing reading all this stuff when you've failed to totally stop smoking after trying for many years.
    Not only do you end up dying of cancer, but your life is made a misery by the guilt and the constant nagging.

I am down to less than 10 a day.

I wish I wanted to stop ENOUGH.

The govt. should make tobacco products illegal.

I am virtually teetotal and have been for many years now, and I'm normal weight for height.

Personally I wish the hospitals weren't having to waste so much money and resources on drunken morons and obese mountains of greed-fuelled flab.

Banned
    Nice one Graham.

I won't add because for some its a very emotive subject.

Apart from this.....my family is enough for me to live eat and sleep cleanly. They are all the encouragement I need.

Btw My father was an 80 a day man up until 50yo....hypnosis was the only way he could quit.

He had one session..that was it. no more ciggys. He lived a further 28 years

It was probably his excessive smoking and drinking what made me hate both habits. I got 5 other siblings, none of them took it up either.

I remember those trips to Weymouth...3 hours in those days...dad would be smoking all the way...windows always up...happy coughing days!

good subject doc, its one that we all should take note of, as you will know from my earlier threads i have had cancer and was very ill from the cheemo treatment almost having died 4 times, but im lucky i pulled through even after not being well enough to have had and survived the last 2 treatments, mine was testicular cancer semenoma ( excuse my spelling) so guys feel your balls often if your lady doesnt do it for you i was a heavy smoker, though im not saying the smoking caused it, but certainly smoking would hinder your bodys natural defence,in which case i may not had got the cancer had i not smoked, on going into hospital for my 1st treatment i smoked my last cigerette at the entrance of the hospital as i went in,that was jan 2010, june this year i went through a lot of stress and started to smoke again, for a 3 month period, this time harder to give up, remembering i had read on here the stop smoking thread , about the electronic cigerette, which iv been using since october, it is very good i highly recomend it, as a safer alternative and or a device aid to give up, i am working my way down to a zero nicotine refill,, i must say i much prefer this than a tabacco cigerette, i wont go back, maybe it could help you graham,,,,, its cheaper too lol

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    Nice one Graham.

I won't add because for some its a very emotive subject.

Apart from this.....my family is enough for me to live eat and sleep cleanly. They are all the encouragement I need.

Btw My father was an 80 a day man up until 50yo....hypnosis was the only way he could quit.

He had one session..that was it. no more ciggys. He lived a further 28 years

It was probably his excessive smoking and drinking what made me hate both habits. I got 5 other siblings, none of them took it up either.

I remember those trips to Weymouth...3 hours in those days...dad would be smoking all the way...windows always up...happy coughing days!
    I never smoke in the house, and have never smoked in the presence of my boy....throughout his life.

Trusted Member
    Actually imagine, thanks for the info'.

I will look into that.

My need for nicotene IS considerably reduced these days anyway, to the point where I just take a couple of puffs and then extinguish the thing.

I'm very close to being able to do without....even without substitutes.

Well done on pulling through what must have been awful times for you my friend.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I never smoke in the house, and have never smoked in the presence of my boy....throughout his life.
    Likewise My kids have never seen me smoke. I never smoke in my house or cars, I hate the stale smell it leaves. I'll keep on smoking in my back garden until health and safety ban it

there are different makes, the one i got is much cheaper on postage so overall cost is cheaper, it gives the the kick that a normal cig does, it doesnt smell and it doesnt burn,and legal in public
    just let me know if you want more detail, im not sure if its ok to mention brand on here

( bl00by heck the house keeps shaking in the wind gusts im poohing myself here anyone got a diper lol,) wonder if better to sleep under the bed tonight instead of on top lol,,,

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Englishman2010 View Post
    Likewise My kids have never seen me smoke. I never smoke in my house or cars, I hate the stale smell it leaves. I'll keep on smoking in my back garden until health and safety ban it
    I wish the powers that be, would hurry up

There's talk of it being banned in private motor vehicles as well. They got proof there's a link...there's a surprise

Shame it wasn't introduced in my childhood..i bet I would of had less chest infections.

Banned
    Anyone giving up the evil weed on 1st Jan ? Terpe's determination has paid off and his first full year will be up then - I think insurance companies will then class him as an ex-smoker. Well done Terpe

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Anyone giving up the evil weed on 1st Jan ? Terpe's determination has paid off and his first full year will be up then - I think insurance companies will then class him as an ex-smoker. Well done Terpe
    I 2nd that.

Respected Member
    Well done Terpe I wish I had your desire and will power

yes well done Terpe

Banned
    My ex wife was an avid smoker. Both of our children had asthma - I am certain as a consequence. My daughter's asthma was quite severe at times. It took years before my ex wife realised she ought to smoke away from the children and everyone else. It even got to me at times..."passive smoking" and all that.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Englishman2010 View Post
    Well done Terpe I wish I had your desire and will power
    Yes indeed.
    Well done Terpe.

I'll have another crack at stopping come New Year.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    My ex wife was an avid smoker. Both of our children had asthma - I am certain as a consequence. My daughter's asthma was quite severe at times. It took years before my ex wife realised she ought to smoke away from the children and everyone else. It even got to me at times..."passive smoking" and all that.
    I've no doubt you're right about that.

Banned
    Its quite ironic that I helped perpetuate her habit as I always bought her cartons of 200 duty free when I was on my travels to help keep the costs down but I think I just helped to fuel her habit......

I think she has cut right down now since the divorce as she only gets the money I send her monthly and no more than that.

Trusted Member
    Fortunately my ex had the good sense to marry someone with more money than me (although MUCH uglier and without my scintillating personality ).

I'm still waiting for signs of contributions towards our son's upkeep of course....I know it's only been 4 years he's lived with me.

Banned
    Here's an interesting piece about smoking in New York - £7 - £9.60 per pack , obviously pricing them out works as only 14% smoke

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15954278

Trusted Member
    Cost has become the main issue for me, that is for sure.
    I buy one pack every three days now.

Still haven't figured out how to make cheap roll-ups after forty years, but can't be arsed anyway.

Banned

I'm still waiting for signs of contributions towards our son's upkeep of course....I know it's only been 4 years he's lived with me.
    Oh, doesnt the CSA system work in favour of the male if he has custody of the child?

Banned
    They have an hard enough job tracking down In there own country..let alone in another

Trusted Member
    True, and of course I can support myself and my child anyway, without any begging or outside interference.

@ lastlid:

Yes, single parent men are just as entitled to ask for a contribution from their estranged partner....equality and all that rubbish.

Banned
    Here's an interesting piece about smoking in New York - £7 - £9.60 per pack , obviously pricing them out works as only 14% smoke

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15954278
    I can't see that working here...if they are willing to spend there benefits down the pub which should be spent on the kids...the additional fag cost will come from the same budget.

Suffer the poor children.

Oops....im mixing two subjects here

Trusted Member
    Benefits on top of their cash in hand job.....in many cases.

Trusted Member
    My son ( 22 ) has never smoked in front of me .
    Some interesting responses here, thank you . Although mostly about smoking, I note that one member ( RickyR ) has lost 7 kg of weight out of his target of 20 kg recently
    Most of you know I'm not a GP, my skills ( such as they are ) being in diagnosis and teaching about illnesses, rather than prevention. Actually influencing people - even family and friends - to improve their health is a challenge ! On the one hand it's worthwhile summarising - to the best of my ability - the lengthy recent articles in British Journal of Cancer. On the other hand, too much information turns people off !
    The problem of unhealthy lifestyle is not only costly to the individual but also to the health service, however funded. The consensus response to these articles does seem to be that not enough is being done by the UK government to promote healthy behaviour - " legislative solutions " are talked about, and the government " said it was intending to begin a consultation on plain packaging " ( of cigarettes ) by the end of the year.
    It would be interesting to have the Philippines perspective on this. Screening and prevention, including vaccination for hepatitis B and human papilloma virus, don't come cheap.

Banned
    Interewsting what you say Doc about UK Govt dragging its feet. I think they should go the whole way immediately and introduce Aussie style shock packs like this

Interewsting what you say Doc about UK Govt dragging its feet. I think they should go the whole way immediately and introduce Aussie style shock packs like this

the photo reminds me of the cancer ward iv been in though not all there would represent this image, but what you see would make you stop and think, for me what i saw showed me how lucky i was

as far as cigerettes are concernd they should be barred immediately, im sure the gov will find the tax elswhere , and if the case is true that the cost to nhs is greater than the revenue from tobacco , then whats the problem with a total ban

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information