Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avoiding cancer

Trusted Member
    I think most smokers would probably thank them for it.

My friend and Best Man at my wedding (married to the cousin of the ex) looked very similar to the man pictured above, if not worse, before he passed away last year aged 69, from Pancreatic Cancer.

He'd always been a heavy smoker, and smoked up to the end. Nothing to lose then I suppose.

It was very moving to see the two young sons he so adored reading out their eulogies at the funeral.

I've been veggy/vegan for nearly 30yrs, in that time i've not eaten fish, meat or eggs, the only animal products i eat is milk, cheese or yogurt, thou my diet is pretty poor, mainly junk snacks

there is a DVD that's just come out in the shops (and on certain sites ) called 'forks over knives' i've not watched all of it yet, what do you think of these trailers Doc Alan ?

http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

interesting vids, im sure its very true, but how can most familys manage to find time or afford to eat correctly, parents are so busy these days both working ect, perhaps more pressure should be put onto big supermarket chains, to contribute to change, and more education on health and diet,
    we all grow up thinking we will do it tomorrow, it wont happen to me, and the result is so far off in the future why bother now,

Trusted Member
    I could quite easily become a veggie...wouldn't miss meat and fish at all.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I could quite easily become a veggie...wouldn't miss meat and fish at all.
    not in the phils you couldn't i could never find any veggy food in the shops, even in restaurants they would look at me if i was if i asked if they had any veggy food on the menu
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

i love chicken, good beef tasty pork craclin, and nice fish, surely omega is good ,oh i would miss them

i hardly eat veg or fruit and i know i should , even if its tinned and not fresh would be better than none

Veggies are nuts
    Big Xmas party tmrw with full xmas menue and tons of alcohol bring it on

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    not in the phils you couldn't i could never find any veggy food in the shops, even in restaurants they would look at me if i was if i asked if they had any veggy food on the menu
    I think you'll find the majority of the Philippine population cannot afford the luxury of being choosy....eat whats put in front of you or starve.

Having said that...there's many an overweight person suffering the symptoms of malnutrition. Junk foods contain empty worthless calories, devoid of anything the body needs.

and the europa league

sorry les ..just had too

Trusted Member
    Isn't that for amateur sides ?

as from now on yeahhh

Not listening got fingers in ears

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    Veggies are nuts
    Big Xmas party tmrw with full xmas menue and tons of alcohol bring it on
    Moderate intake of pop please Les - you've had a rough week and no doubt been drowning your sorrows since 9.45ish on Wednesday

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    I've been veggy/vegan for nearly 30yrs, in that time i've not eaten fish, meat or eggs, the only animal products i eat is milk, cheese or yogurt, thou my diet is pretty poor, mainly junk snacks

there is a DVD that's just come out in the shops (and on certain sites ) called 'forks over knives' i've not watched all of it yet, what do you think of these trailers Doc Alan ?
    Interesting, joebloggs, but I think vegetarians ( who don't consume meat, poultry, fish or seafood ) and vegans ( an even stricter sub-category who don't consume any animal products or by-products, in some cases not even honey / yeast ) will always form a minority in any population, for various reasons including choice and cost. They are probably less than 10 % of the UK population.
    Certainly adoption of a " Western lifestyle " is responsible for a similar pattern of diseases - heart / circulatory / cancer - in both our countries ( http://mariaespievidal.com/obesity-a...-by-filipinos/ ).
    The recent British Journal of Cancer study estimates for men about 6% of cancers are linked to lack of fruit and vegetables, 4% to obesity; for women 3% to lack of fruit and vegetables, and 7% to obesity ( because of the effect on breast cancer ).
    As always, however, the effects of lifestyle on our health is complicated and involves an element of luck ! Cancers are caused by multiple factors acting at the same time, and that's why even this comprehensive study could find less than half of all cancers were due to avoidable life choices.

I just think within moderation eat and do what you wish-can't say i'm that bothered bout living to 100 and wearing a nappy
    Go out there have some fun,you might get knocked down by a bus next week while munching on your pumpkin seeds

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    I just think within moderation eat and do what you wish-can't say i'm that bothered bout living to 100 and wearing a nappy
    Go out there have some fun,you might get knocked down by a bus next week while munching on your pumpkin seeds
    I found eating pumpkin seeds alone gave me heart burn....for me, best consumed added to wheat biscuits, bananas and rasins with lashing of full fat mik.

Apparently, full fat milk is good for the production of semen.

Trusted Member
    I want to live forever....with or without nappy.

Can't imagine how grumpy I would be though.

I want to live forever....with or without nappy.

Can't imagine how grumpy I would be though.
    You just want a fit nurse to change your nappy

Trusted Member
    Yeah....just hope I don't lose my eyesight.

Yeah....just hope I don't lose my eyesight.
    that depends on what the nurse looks like

Trusted Member
    Oh pleeeeeese Joe !

Nearly gave me a bloody heart attack there.

Trusted Member
    How sad that a thread on avoiding such a serious and common condition as cancer can so easily be hijacked by posts best suited to the Humour section
    The chances of being knocked over by a bus ( or taxi ), being struck by lightning, or winning the lottery are FAR less than those of getting cancer. A high fat diet is more likely to cause impotence from narrowed arteries than improve semen quality. The point of my thread - which, like others in this section - took a lot longer than a one-liner to prepare - is that the odds of getting cancer can be significantly reduced by health measures which improve the quality and enjoyment of life, without the need for straitjacket or nappy. Cancer rarely kills overnight, it tends to cause prolonged pain and suffering. It's no laughing matter to those - or their loved ones - who get it. It's also highly relevant to both countries with which our forum is concerned.
    We all know about the risks of smoking. Perhaps fewer of us knew about other avoidable factors, or even preventive vaccines, like those for liver cancer in the Philippines and cervical cancer in both countries.

It was probably his excessive smoking and drinking what made me hate both habits.
    I will partially endorse this,its peoples right within reason to do as they wish,but my dad is the same,havent seen him for years but I do remember he drank like a fish and smoked like a chimney during my childhood,it warned me off,we are here for an eye-blink,no time at all,live as healthily as you can given your lifestyle,a lot of people havent had the bonus of waking up today,always try and increase your odds of seeing a tomorrowits the people who you leave behind who really suffer so do it for them Good health to everyone for the future

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information