Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: A small miracle

Trusted Member

A small miracle

3' dwarf(1).jpg
    Last month I was taken to visit Bayoyoy, a 3' dwarf living in Dauis, Panglao Island, close to Bohol. He's 64, blind, and is fed on milk and oatmeal. Bayoyoy is one of 15 siblings, and is now the only survivor of 6 dwarfs among them. He is looked after by relatives in an ordinary house, supported by donations from visitors. His survival to 64 is a tribute to the care he has received - but I still found the apparent reliance on tourists disturbing - and wondered just how the donations are used.
    Dwarfism - which can be defined as an adult height of less than 4'10" - has many possible medical causes, and in Bayoyoy's case, there must be a genetic abnormality for it to have been present in several sibs.
    Moderate short ( and tall ) statures in themselves are not, of course, usually illnesses. The average male height in the Philippines, around 5'4", and female just under 5', is said to be less than 30 years ago. In the UK it's around 5'9" and 5'4". Males usually stop growing around the ages of 18 - 20, girls 3 - 4 years younger than this. For individuals, genetics and hormones are important - for populations the environment ( nutrition, living standards ) is more important.
    By far the commonest cause of dwarfism is achondroplasia, usually due to a mutation - most affected children have normal parents. They have short limbs, disproportionately large head, but normal intellect and most live to adulthood.
    The next most common is growth hormone deficiency ( with a variety of causes but not usually inherited ) where the body parts are small but proportionate. Hormone treatment during childhood is usually effective.
    Many cases of dwarfism are not preventable as they have a genetic cause, but the earlier they are diagnosed ( failure of normal growth in childhood ) and treated, the greater the chance of a good outlook with growth to near normal adult height.
    Even if specific treatment is not possible, dwarfs need support, so they may lead as near a normal life as possible. Bayoyoy's carers deserve credit for all they have done .

I'm sure I saw a TV report on Bayoyoy on TFC not that long ago.

I agree Doc, all the people taking care of him deserve a lot of credit.

Respected Member
    Thanks for sharing that with us Doc, and well done for giving up your precious holiday time to visit him and learn more about his life and care...etc.

I seen this on TV too but here in the Philippines. The carers has their heart in taking care of him. Simple heroism as they may say.

Thread Information