Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Spouse visa processing times

Hello, everyone. I am new to the forums, having married my Filipino wife on 12 May, and having applied for her UK settlement visa in Manila on 18 June. I am British, by the way.

I hoped to return to the UK with her, thinking the visa application would take only a couple of weeks to process, but then realised it could take much longer - so I had to return to the UK first.

I'm finding it quite difficult not only to be separated right at the start of our marriage, but also having no idea how long the visa decision might take. I saw the UKBA website, which says that settlement visa applications from the Philippines can take anywhere between 5 days and 90 days to process! My question is - does anybody have any idea which applications might be quicker to process, and which might take a longer time? For example, would more complex cases take longer? Our case is relatively simple in that we have no children, etc. Would visas granted be quicker than visas denied? I know I am clutching at straws, but any information on the likely time of processing for my wife's visa would be very much appreciated. If you already received your settlement visa, how long did it take you, and why do you think that was?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I think you have already answered your own question to be honest. Some take time, others dont. Dont know why

Congratulations on your recent wedding. Most of us know what it feels like to be away from your new wife. I got married and had to leave my wife too, she is still in Phils with our little son now, so we all know the strains. But at least now with the internet you can talk daily so it helps.

I am sure you will hear soon enough. Fingers crossed
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Respected Member

Sheriel from Leyte

Welcome to our forum,we have all been there the Philippines.

Congrats on your marriage. You married the day after me. I wish I also knew how long the spouse visa would take. My wife cannot come here until her work contract runs out in November. The problem is that we don't know when to start our visa application.

Congratulations on your recent nuptials ... and to the friendly, online filipino/uk community.

I note, from your choice of username, that you're firm in your resolve for your wife to join you in the UK as soon as possible and, of course, that is perfectly natural.

However, as my friend and moderatorial colleague has explained, nobody really knows why some applicants wait longer than others for their visas to be approved.

But, hopefully, with your circumstances APPEARING more straightforward than those of many couples, this will, at least, hasten the processing time to some extent.

Goodluck!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

I think you have already answered your own question to be honest. Some take time, others dont. Dont know why

Congratulations on your recent wedding. Most of us know what it feels like to be away from your new wife. I got married and had to leave my wife too, she is still in Phils with our little son now, so we all know the strains. But at least now with the internet you can talk daily so it helps.

I am sure you will hear soon enough. Fingers crossed
    Apparently they are only allowed to process a limited number of settlement visa's a month
    The limit is set by the home office in UK not the UK embassy in Manila
    So if they have many applications to process it will take longer

Quote Originally Posted by resolute View Post
    Hello, everyone. I am new to the forums, having married my Filipino wife on 12 May, and having applied for her UK settlement visa in Manila on 18 June. I am British, by the way.

I hoped to return to the UK with her, thinking the visa application would take only a couple of weeks to process, but then realised it could take much longer - so I had to return to the UK first.

I'm finding it quite difficult not only to be separated right at the start of our marriage, but also having no idea how long the visa decision might take. I saw the UKBA website, which says that settlement visa applications from the Philippines can take anywhere between 5 days and 90 days to process! My question is - does anybody have any idea which applications might be quicker to process, and which might take a longer time? For example, would more complex cases take longer? Our case is relatively simple in that we have no children, etc. Would visas granted be quicker than visas denied? I know I am clutching at straws, but any information on the likely time of processing for my wife's visa would be very much appreciated. If you already received your settlement visa, how long did it take you, and why do you think that was?
    Hello there resolute, welcome here to the forum.
    Congratulations on your recent marriage

Good luck with your application and hope you receive a positive outcome soon.

We have seen visa processing from as fast as 1 or 2 days even right up to a couple of months.
    It's almost impossible to determine how long any specific one it will take. Each case is different, and each case is seen differently by individual ECO's and their caseworkers.
    The UKBA have a number of different "work lists" and when cases move from one list to another it all takes time and the clock begins again.

Stay strong and think positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    Congrats on your marriage. You married the day after me. I wish I also knew how long the spouse visa would take. My wife cannot come here until her work contract runs out in November. The problem is that we don't know when to start our visa application.
    UKBA will not issue visa's more than 3 months ahead of any stated travel time.
    Additionally the spouse visa will be issued with a 33 months validity.
    The key balancing issue is to be sure that the initial 30 months period of living in UK can actually be achieved otherwise you looking at forking out for an extra FLR

Hope this helps you in the planning

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Look at this thread so you'll have an idea of how long it took the visas of the forum members to be given.

Timeline ILR / FLR / Settlement Spouse / Fiance Visa
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by London_Manila View Post
    Apparently they are only allowed to process a limited number of settlement visa's a month
    The limit is set by the home office in UK not the UK embassy in Manila
    So if they have many applications to process it will take longer
    What's the source of that information?

That certainly doesn't fit with operational procedures or performance measures.
    As with nearly all civil service activity, tasks within a given pay grade are still quite "prescribed".

Some visa applications can be identified as "clearly eligible" and need much less processing. Others may need inputs from caseworkers, Entry Clearance Assistants or Entry Clearance Managers.
    Individuals often vary in their opinion of just what information needs to held on file etc.

ECO's are always under some pressure to meet their daily 'challenging' targets.
    When an application moves around it gets placed on a work item listing. The more listing the longer.

I've never been aware of any 'ceiling' being placed on the processing cycle. Quite the opposite in fact.

I'm certain John Vine would have commented on this in his reports if such changes had been made.

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    I am happy to report that my wife's visa was received on Wednesday this week - 27 working days after applying.

We are so relieved. I personally did not realise how stressful being separated would be, and as my wife has not lived in the Philippines for some years, only returning for our marriage, she was getting very bored and there was a financial strain on us as well.

Now we can move on together with our life in the UK!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    What's the source of that information?

That certainly doesn't fit with operational procedures or performance measures.
    As with nearly all civil service activity, tasks within a given pay grade are still quite "prescribed".

Some visa applications can be identified as "clearly eligible" and need much less processing. Others may need inputs from caseworkers, Entry Clearance Assistants or Entry Clearance Managers.
    Individuals often vary in their opinion of just what information needs to held on file etc.

ECO's are always under some pressure to meet their daily 'challenging' targets.
    When an application moves around it gets placed on a work item listing. The more listing the longer.

I've never been aware of any 'ceiling' being placed on the processing cycle. Quite the opposite in fact.

I'm certain John Vine would have commented on this in his reports if such changes had been made.
    When i was married in another south east asian country and it took them so long to process the application i had a meeting with
    the vice council at the embassy and thats what he informed me
    He even showed me the "settlement" visa appointment book and said we are only allowed to process a limited amount every month

This was a few years back though maybe things have changed since then

After i was married it took me six months before they would grant her a entry visa
    no problems with the application as well

Thread Information