Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by scottishbride View Post
    Do I need my husband passport?
    Yes ... BOTH yours AND your husband's Birth Certs AND respective Passports, Melissa. But, don't worry ... the documents you take with you to the NCS in Edinburgh (I'm assuming you're still intending to avail yourselves of this excellent facility!) will be returned to you immediately thereafter - with the exception of your application.

Trusted Member
    I remember one time I needed my ex-wife's passport when I was in the Phils and she was in the UK.

She sent it to me by DHL and then I sent it back to her the same way.

Cheaper than an airfare !

In the guide an naturalization for british citizen it says there that if one is a spouse of a british citizen, one has to be in the uk for 3 years before they apply or else they will not meet the requirements (though in the span of 3 years one is allowed to leave the uk for certain numbers of days before applying for ilr and also for citizenship).
    As in your case, due to the 28 days that was being allowed to apply your ilr was granted earlier. In my opinion i think to be in a safe position, so that the one who will process your application for citizenship will have no excuse to refuse you, better to really adhere to the ruling and that is 3 years period beginning when you arrived here in the uk regardless of the granting of your ilr.
    I done mine by post you see, so my ilr was granted a few days after my 2 years here in the uk then, so my citizenship was granted a year after my ilr. So to be safe apply on 19/12/2012. As for the birth certificate if you do it by post with no checking services better to send passport as well as birth certificate, the uk border will have all your relevant documents and it eases your mind too that you provided them with everything.

and if you avail yourself of the checking services in edinburgh,you don't need to worry, like what Arthur said, all your documents will be handed back to you apart from your application form which they will forward to the uk border agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Yes ... BOTH yours AND your husband's Birth Certs AND respective Passports, Melissa. But, don't worry ... the documents you take with you to the NCS in Edinburgh (I'm assuming you're still intending to avail yourselves of this excellent facility!) will be returned to you immediately thereafter - with the exception of your application.
    Thanks Arthur! I panicked so I called Ate Myrna ealier on to find out. I am a worrier you know...

Quote Originally Posted by acs View Post
    In the guide an naturalization for british citizen it says there that if one is a spouse of a british citizen, one has to be in the uk for 3 years before they apply or else they will not meet the requirements (though in the span of 3 years one is allowed to leave the uk for certain numbers of days before applying for ilr and also for citizenship).
    As in your case, due to the 28 days that was being allowed to apply your ilr was granted earlier. In my opinion i think to be in a safe position, so that the one who will process your application for citizenship will have no excuse to refuse you, better to really adhere to the ruling and that is 3 years period beginning when you arrived here in the uk regardless of the granting of your ilr.
    I done mine by post you see, so my ilr was granted a few days after my 2 years here in the uk then, so my citizenship was granted a year after my ilr. So to be safe apply on 19/12/2012. As for the birth certificate if you do it by post with no checking services better to send passport as well as birth certificate, the uk border will have all your relevant documents and it eases your mind too that you provided them with everything.
    Thanks. It is finally clear to me now.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I remember one time I needed my ex-wife's passport when I was in the Phils and she was in the UK.

She sent it to me by DHL and then I sent it back to her the same way.

Cheaper than an airfare !
    Thanks Graham. I think he is requesting to his company to be home on my british citizenship.

Quote Originally Posted by scottishbride View Post
    I am a worrier you know...
    ... ME too!!

Banned
    Alot of mileage in this one

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information