Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

British passport + Filipino wife and child

Hi,

My brother has a British passport, he was born in U.K but has been living in P.I now for 10 years. Now he wants to come back, however only with his son first and his fiance to follow later. What kind of visa does he need? Is this viable?

He plans to live with us (his family who are all British passport holders and have lived in U.K for 30 years+) and then retrieve his wife later (she won't pass the tests first time so she needs to prepare).

Is this the best strategy or will there be issues of him bringing the child first?

TIA!

Trusted Member
    Number one priority is to get the child (if his) a British passport to which he/she is entitled.

No visas required for British passport holders returning home to their own country...of course.

However, because of his long absence from the country, any benefits that he would have been entitled to will be restricted or disallowed for a while (except child benefit).

Hi I agree with Graham You can apply the child British passport no need for a visa. When I was in the Philippines we applied our daughter British passport it will take about 10 days. And when she got her British passport I applied for Spouse visa. Good luck.

Thanks for the input so far guys. One more question. It will take 4 weeks for the passport to be issued as they are overseas. Can I apply for a temporary visa for the child so that he can obtain the passport from U.K (only takes 10 days) or will this be more hassle?

Trusted Member
    I've a feeling any involvement with visas will involve hassle and expense, AND probably take longer than having the passport come through.

Better to be patient and go the British passport route.
    Start by making sure all the correct documents are readily available.

Has the child's birth been registered with the British Embassy, and recognised by them ?

4 weeks? When we applied for my daughter's British passport at the British Embassy Philippines it took us only 10 days. And we are not married that time, they just need you to sign the forms and pay the fees.. I think now they require CENOMAR. And take note: You can apply the Child Philippines passport so he will not be charge Clearance tax at the Philippine Immigration. You need to present both passports. Hope this will help.

Banned
    Glad you cleared that up...I had the impression she thought the passport application had to be made in the UK.

By the way, here's the Link: http://ukinthephilippines.fco.gov.uk...h-registration Goodluck!

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I've a feeling any involvement with visas will involve hassle and expense, AND probably take longer than having the passport come through.

Better to be patient and go the British passport route.
    Start by making sure all the correct documents are readily available.

Has the child's birth been registered with the British Embassy, and recognised by them ?
    No not yet but we're working on it lol.

scottishbride
    4 weeks? When we applied for my daughter's British passport at the British Embassy Philippines it took us only 10 days. And we are not married that time, they just need you to sign the forms and pay the fees.. I think now they require CENOMAR. And take note: You can apply the Child Philippines passport so he will not be charge Clearance tax at the Philippine Immigration. You need to present both passports. Hope this will help.
    Wow, I misread then. I thought because the passport centre had moved to HK that it would take longer. Hopefully we can see these guys back home then before Xmas!

Thanks Graham/Scottish for your help so far!

Small update.

I've been told birth does not need to be registered as my bro was born in UK - it's not essential apparently. The 6 week processing time was repeated to me as it's a first time applicant. So there seems to be a huge disparity between the 10 days quoted above lol.

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    good day!!

I'm applying for my nephew's british passport, both my sister and her british husband are in UK, and they ask me to do it, the indicated father on his BC is my sister's british husband, i'm collecting information about the requirements and here it is

1. Letter of consent from the parents
    2. BC of the Child (NSO)
    3. BC of the Father
    4. .evidence of termination of any previous marriage. of the father
    5. C2 form of course
    6. is it enough to submit the photocopy of their passports? and will it affect the application if the father's passport is already expired?

can anyone inform me if there is any lacking from it,

and how to set an appointment, i've been searching everywhere but i couldn't find how to set an appointment in embassy

any information will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thread Information