Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

NAIA - House probe sought for 'the world's worst airport'

THE Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) needs to explain to the travelling public how the terminal fees are being used, lawmakers said, after Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 1 recently earned the "world's worst" label.

According to non-government organization Tourism Educators and Movers of the Philippines (Team Philippines), NAIA earns around P8.5 billion in terminal fees each year. Passengers taking domestic flights pay P200 while those flying out of the country are charged P750.

More...
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Respected Member
    Someone is walking around with fat pockets!

I'm sure I've read recently that Pres.Aquino wants to sell NAIA and develop the international airport at Clark.
    The Clark International Airport Corp. (CIAC) and the Clark Development Corp. (CDC), both subsidiaries of the the Bases Conversion and Development Authority (BCDA), are all involved in the expansion of the Clark International Airport.
    The BCDA is also involved in the development of the Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway

Watch this space.

Trusted Member
    I never found it THAT bad.

But then again, I just need somewhere to sit before I get on my flight.

Others may be more fussy.

I've read that it'll be moving to Clark .... not what you would call 'local'
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post

Well, Graham, you've hit one of the nails firmly on the head. Seating capacity.

The design capacity was supposed to be passenger volumes of 5 million.
    In 2010 the passenger volume reached 27 million.

That 'speaks volumes' about passenger care, comfort and facilities.

Respected Member
    Yes, they keep talking about turning clark into the new Manila Airport and having a high speed rail link......
    ....and pigs might fly.

The Philippine governments and authorities always have these fantasy ideas, which sound great but never actually happen.
    Instead of focusing on a transfer of international operations to T3, putting airside links between T1 and T2. And throwing the low cost airlines into Terminal 1 whilst renovating it. but thats far too logical, so it won't happen ever, so no point thinking about it.

Trusted Member
    They've been talking about moving to Clark, rail link etc for about 15 years.

Vested interests in Manila methinks.

Trusted Member
    Manila Airport on its present site dates from 1948, and it took a very long time to reach the present situation.
    A fire damaged the original terminal building in 1972, which became the domestic airport until another fire destroyed it in 1985.
    A smaller, international, terminal was built in in 1973, and it was being developed in 1978 when I first visited the Philippines. The facilities then were primitive, overcrowded, with almost non-existent air conditioning, and required a great deal of patience, long before the era of e-tickets and internet check in . It finally opened as Terminal 1 three years later, renamed in honour of " Ninoy " Aquino ( assassinated at the airport in 1983 ) in 1987.
    Terminal 2 ( for Philippine Airlines ) was finally opened in 1999, known as the Centennial Terminal to mark independence from Spain.
    Terminal 3 became fully operational in 2008, over a decade after the government approved its construction. Despite future intentions, most international flights still operate from Terminal 1.
    I'm not as frequent a traveller as some members, hence probably not so critical - but I do remember how chaotic airports were in the late 70's when I was working in the Far East. The " new " international airports at Kuala Lumpur and Singapore were a distant dream then .
    I count myself very fortunate that I'm still fit and able to travel. Looking forward to returning to the Philippines in a week's time with just as much enthusiasm as ever - and patience, because I remember how it was a few decades ago .

Trusted Member
    Have a great trip Alan.

I'm not jealous.

The problems I have with NAIA are the following, a total lack of seating when it's really busy. If you are going out on a late flight nearly everything is closed. The toilets need a total overhaul, they are not too bad compared with most Filipino public toilets but the ceilings are falling down and the tile work is a bit cruddy.

ur a bit of a fussey lot on here...how do u feel wen ur walking thru the streets of manila..(do u make a note of the kerbs been too high or the gaping holes ur flip flop has fallen down) ready to send to the manila city council complaints department... its 3rd world, wot do u expect.. just enjoy the experiances and its culture..

Quote Originally Posted by branno View Post
    ...................its 3rd world, wot do u expect.. just enjoy the experiances and its culture..
    I'm not sure about this though.

Respected Member

I agree Graham Admitedly it isn't the best airport in the world, but I never expected it would be. I've spent a lot of time in T1 during the last 2 years and haven't got any complaints, except maybe the over priced catering. T2 and T3 are much nicer, and I agree with Ricky it would make more sense to move the budget airlines into T1 and keep T2 and T3 for the long haul flights.

Respected Member

I agree Graham Admitedly it isn't the best airport in the world, but I never expected it would be. I've spent a lot of time in T1 during the last 2 years and haven't got any complaints, except maybe the over priced catering. T2 and T3 are much nicer, and I agree with Ricky it would make more sense to move the budget airlines into T1 and keep T2 and T3 for the long haul flights.

its 3rd world, wot do u expect.. just enjoy the experiances and its culture..
    Philippines is no longer a third world country,..everyone in the PH got a mobile phone haven't u noticed
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Trusted Member
    ur a bit of a fussey lot on here...how do u feel wen ur walking thru the streets of manila..(do u make a note of the kerbs been too high or the gaping holes ur flip flop has fallen down) ready to send to the manila city council complaints department... its 3rd world, wot do u expect.. just enjoy the experiances and its culture..

Hilarious...and true.

I'm just grateful to get on the damned plane without getting arrested or my pockets picked.

Trusted Member
    Have a great trip Alan.

I'm not jealous.
    Thanks Graham . I intend to have a great trip, and my insight ( #9 ) based on a third of a century's travelling to the Philippines - or lack of insight from never affording Business Class - means 100 % enthusiasm and 0 % cynicism

Trusted Member
    That's the way.

The airport is the first thing we all see of a country when we arrive, if it looks like a total sh**pit it is not much of an advert for the country. As stated before they make a fortune out of airport charges and forcing their own citizens to pay to leave, so there must be cash available to put back into making it better. Yeah yeah I know it's all in some officials bank account in the USA. Here comes another house inquiry which will give face time to Enrile and Revilla and prove bugger all.

Trusted Member
    Imelda Marcos ?

Hardly living on bread and water.

Says it all.

I think it's more likely in the pocket of GMA and her husband.

Respected Member
    TBH I wasn't shocked by NAIA when I first arrived in The Philippines, it was better than I had imagined, but that's because I've travelled all over India, and the airports there are much worse. I'm sure it's a bit of a shock if your only experience of international airports are LAX, JFK, LHR, DXB, HKG or SIN ...etc

Banned
    I have flown into the widest range of terminals possible across a number of countries and went through NAIA with an open mind. But having seen the domestic terminal my thoughts are simply that there should be no reason why a similar standard cant apply to the international terminal, particularly as the money is rolling in through taxes. Things that irked me included the corruption, what I perceived was the potential corruption when my wife was about to fly to the UK 3 weeks ago and the fact that you cant get into the building without presenting a ticket or similar. If for some reason you don't have that bit of paper or the security guard doesn't like the look of you and you need to get into the building for any number of reasons (maybe you want your mum / bro / bf/gf etc to wait for you while you check in in case there is a problem) then you are stuffed......

The domestic terminal proves it can be done in Manila......

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    The domestic terminal proves it can be done in Manila......
    Anything can be done if there is a genuine will to do it. However, let's not kid ourselves, we all know that corruption is rife at all levels of business and politics in the Phil's. Whatever congress and politicians say, that isn't going to change anytime within the next few decades.
    Sure the corruption makes us Puti's angry, but they aren't going to change for our benefit. That's not to say that I agree with it, but it's not anything we can much about. Normal Filipino's need to do something about it and make a stand, the politicians might eventually listen if they make enough noise, but then again, they'll probably just brush it under the carpet as they always do The Phil's is corrupt, we all know that, there's no point getting upset about it, we just have to let them get on with it and keep our eyes wide open when we go there or transact any business there.

Back on the topic I think terminal fees are a total rip off. Why dont the airlines just include it in the price of your ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    Philippines is no longer a third world country,..everyone in the PH got a mobile phone haven't u noticed
    yes i have noticed

i think one of the most memorable airports ive had the pleasure of landing at has got to be puerto princessa in palawan... when u leave the plane ur guided to a small open timber shack then theres the smallest luggage carousel uve ever seen say about 20 feet in circumference... then wen uve grabbed ur bags u must show ur matching luggage ticket number to the security to exit the security... then out side wow sooo many tricycle drivers touting u.. amazing place.. but the minibus ride to el nido in an 8 seater was phewww .. but well worth it when u arrived in nido..

Trusted Member
    Sounds like London (Croyden?) airport in its earliest days.

I have/had an English friend in El Nido who owned a couple of fishing boats. A real character from Plymouth, called Jeff. Huge scar across his stomach from where a jealous Filipino had tried to disembowel him.

Thread Information