Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Question A1 english test in the phils when applying 4a spouse visa/using a visa consultancy

A1 ENGLISH TEST IN THE PHILS WHEN APPLYING FOR A SPOUSE VISA/USING A VISA CONSULTANCY SERVICE IN CEBU

A1 ENGLISH TEST IN THE PHILS WHEN APPLYING FOR A SPOUSE VISA/USING A VISA CONSULTANCY SERVICE IN CEBU

Hello
    Im abit confused with this A1 English Test requirement.
    My filippina wife is a graduate from a very known university in the Philippines. Her degree was taught and studied in English 100%.
    Isn’t she exempt from taking this A1 test in the Philippines before applying for her settlement visa?
    Im not talking about the life in the UK test. I understand that is something totally different.
    Does anybody know if she really needs to do this test or not?

USING A VISA CONSULTANCY SERVICE COMPANY IN CEBU
    Ive finally decided that when I go back to the UK im just going to ask the missus to use one of these visa consultancy places as its so much easier for them to prepare all the documents and check it over again. I will be too busy with working and my wife too with the kids in the Philippines.

Does anybody have any experience in using one of these services in cebu or do you know any reputable agency here in Cebu?
    Would you know how much they charge? Or point me in the right direction.

For a simple spouse visa application, the process is very straight-forward.

It's just a matter of reading the requirements & gathering the information (mainly your information).

You've no need to involve an agency or consultancy...... save your money, 'cos your need it later on for the ILR and British citizenshop.
    No man is an island, but Barry is

aiden,

Regarding the English test, this is an interesting issue. I didn't yet hear from anyone who went the route of existing degree.
    Anyway UKBA do say that the academic qualification must be a degree taught in English, and must be verified as being so

NARIC is a National Agency that provides information, advice and expert opinion on vocational, academic and professional skills and qualifications from over 180 countries worldwide.
    To be honest I really don't know if NARIC can actually help to verify, as they too utilise the UKBA data base and tables.
    The required statement of comparability from NARIC is not free. You need to pay. It's around £40/£50 for online application. Just contact them and see what they say.
    Please look here for full details of NARIC:-
    http://www.naric.org.uk/index.asp?page=15

It might just work out better to check out taking the English test locally.

The decision to contract an agency is of course a personal choice.
    I tend to agree with BBJ on this one.

If your application is straightforward there's really not much point unless you really just don't have time or motivation to do it. But make no mistake, the agency will be requiring you to provide them with all the documentations, letters and information so they can transfer to the application form.
    You might consider utilising a qualified Immigration Advisor here in UK who can undertake the very same thing for you but in a much more efficient way, and with no communication problems and time difference issues etc.

English Test

Hi. There's a questionnaire that you can fill out and it will tell you if you can be exempted from taking the English test based on your degree. I have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science from the University of the Philippines but i'm still required to take the English test. On the UK website, you can use the points-based calculator. This is for skilled workers and students I believe. Just put in whatever until you get to the English competency questions. If you earn a point there then you are exempted but if not then you have to take the exam.

Here's the link: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by burpiesbaby View Post
    Hi. There's a questionnaire that you can fill out and it will tell you if you can be exempted from taking the English test based on your degree. I have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science from the University of the Philippines but i'm still required to take the English test. On the UK website, you can use the points-based calculator. This is for skilled workers and students I believe. Just put in whatever until you get to the English competency questions. If you earn a point there then you are exempted but if not then you have to take the exam.
    Burpies....would this apply to a Spouse visa? I recall looking at ths myself for my wife and concluded it wasnt for a Spouse visa.

My wife has a degree taught in English from a Phils university but UKNARIC says it was not enough as it wasnt considered to be a degree on a par with one from a British university so my wife had to sit the English test in Manila.

Seems daft as it was a 4 year degree taught entirley in English.....

Why UKNARIC dont rate Phils degres I do not know.

You would think a Phils degree in English would be sufficient for a Spouse visa......

Yeah tell me about it. The points-based system is not really used for spouses. But when I was reading about the English competency requirement in the embassy's website (I forgot where exactly now), it gave that link to check if the degree is recognized to be at par with English degrees. I was actually surprised mine wasn't considered given that I haven't heard of any school teaching Computer Science in Filipino!

It's really daft considering we're already paying 810 pounds for the visa fee. I've worked 8 years as a manager in the call center industry talking to yanks. I guess they don't want American English! hehe... My friend who used to certify the people who administer the exams said it's very easy. I have mine scheduled in November. I can take it earlier but still busy turning over my responsibilities at work.

Good luck to you!

Banned
    I had a read through my wife's degree transcript and my impression was that it is not so different from many a degree taught in Britain. Hers is in HRM. Not all degrees here are totally academic in nature, some are vocational too. But it was this that UKNARIC seem to insist was the all important difference. We decided to just go ahead with the english test.

How can one score 75% in higher education at the end of a 4 year degree taught entirely in English and not be of an A1 standard?????

Respected Member
    aidan i went to a consultancy agency in cebu they are around 35-40 thousand pesos Professional fee excluding visa fee, english test

Hello

Yes me too.

May I ask whats the name and is it any good.

I visited one but they were not very helpful.

may i know the one you visited and also if its any good?

Respected Member
    Hi Aiden,

they wont give you any infos unless you pay 50% of their professional fee..

Respected Member
    Its Enchance Immigration in Maxilom Avenue. You can visit at their website and see whats it like.

Hello thanks for the information.
    But I wonder if there are familiar with rules of the immigration law and about the detailed requirements about things like P60, wage slips and so on?

What do you think about the above mentioned consultancy agency if they are any good i may use them for checking purposes.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    aiden, you don't have to use agency..lots of here in the forum didn't use any and visas were approved..requirements are very straight forward..you can do it all..

Aiden,
    Personally I would not contemplate using any agency unless it was:-
    a) UK based and registered.
    b) Experienced in the issues relating to my specific 'case'.

Respected Member
    they are good based on my personal experience. less hassle yet expensive. but its all everything up to you.

Thread Information